Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Once agian yoru claim of 800,000 going foster care is not correct. Her is an OP ed piece from my paper let me quote from it.
Graves: Abortion is a choice. So is adoption | Opinions | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/245/story/1458584.html - broken link)

The pews were crowded, and I took an aisle seat next to a young man with Down syndrome. He quickly extended a hand and introduced himself with a friendly grin.
I responded, and we had a brief conversation. He told me that he was a teacher at Texas Christian University.
"That must be interesting," I said. "What do you teach?"
"I am Down syndrome, and I teach children with Down’s."
He appeared to be in his early 20s. I noticed a couple sitting on his other side, apparently his parents.
"That is wonderful," I said, when really it was more than wonderful. It was exceptional.
What an extraordinary young man he was. I thought of Sarah Palin, who courageously refused to abort her unborn child when he was determined to have Down syndrome. Her courage certainly equals that of this enthusiastic and self-assured young man. What a tribute to his parents.

Some believe that an early pregnancy is only a matter of "tissue." However, in that "tissue" there is life and, if left alone, a tiny heartbeat. Five weeks into pregnancy, the heart is beating, possibly before the mother knows that she is pregnant.
Continued quotes from thsi article.

A large percentage of women who came to the center who had experienced abortion admitted that they would never again make that choice. For those who were uncertain, free sonograms were offered. To their credit, 98 percent of the women who saw that beating heart chose life for their babies, said Jeanne Mullen, director of Pregnancy Lifeline

Planned parent hood will not let them see a sonogram. And oppose laws making then see a songram before deciing on an abortion

Before a woman chooses abortion, it is extremely important for her to take time to understand what is involved. There are risks from the procedure. There can be uncontrolled bleeding, infection, possible infertility, tearing of the cervix, allergic reactions to drugs, perforation of the uterus and, in extreme cases, death. This complication is very rare and occurs, on average, in less than 20 cases per year, according to J. T. Linde’s Operative Gynecology, published in 2008 by CareNet.The emotional impact following an abortion is often overlooked or downgraded, but it can be pervasive and long-lasting. There can be guilt, anger, anxiety and depression. Things may go along fine for a couple of months, but for some people these feelings cannot be buried forever.

There is another type of abortion that is unspeakably barbaric. It is difficult to believe that it can happen in a civilized country.
I write of partial-birth abortion but will not define it. Recently the leading partial-birth abortionist in the country, who ended the lives of 60,000 babies, was killed. There was no reason for this militancy. Now all pro-life movements are in a dark shadow because of one person. The person who did this does not speak for the pro-life community.
A human life is a human life.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:04 AM

530 posts, read 650,549 times
Quote:
Once agian yoru claim of 800,000 going foster care is not correct. Her is an OP ed piece from my paper let me quote from it.
Graves: Abortion is a choice. So is adoption | Opinions | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/245/story/1458584.html - broken link)

The pews were crowded, and I took an aisle seat next to a young man with Down syndrome. He quickly extended a hand and introduced himself with a friendly grin.
I responded, and we had a brief conversation. He told me that he was a teacher at Texas Christian University.
"That must be interesting," I said. "What do you teach?"
"I am Down syndrome, and I teach children with Down’s."
He appeared to be in his early 20s. I noticed a couple sitting on his other side, apparently his parents.
"That is wonderful," I said, when really it was more than wonderful. It was exceptional.
What an extraordinary young man he was. I thought of Sarah Palin, who courageously refused to abort her unborn child when he was determined to have Down syndrome. Her courage certainly equals that of this enthusiastic and self-assured young man. What a tribute to his parents.

Some believe that an early pregnancy is only a matter of "tissue." However, in that "tissue" there is life and, if left alone, a tiny heartbeat. Five weeks into pregnancy, the heart is beating, possibly before the mother knows that she is pregnant.
And what? That is supposed to change my mind. I work with the sick and disabled on a daily basis. If you as a person choose to keep and raise a child with disabilities then great for you. But there are alot of others who are just not cut out for it. Just like everyones not cut out for parenting or being a dr. It takes all kinds. Oh and on another not i hate Sarah Palin, she disgust me and the baby she's raising is most likely her daughters first child instead of hers so dont get me started on that!

Last edited by trmihall01; 06-29-2009 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Continued quotes from thsi article.

A large percentage of women who came to the center who had experienced abortion admitted that they would never again make that choice. For those who were uncertain, free sonograms were offered. To their credit, 98 percent of the women who saw that beating heart chose life for their babies, said Jeanne Mullen, director of Pregnancy Lifeline

Planned parent hood will not let them see a sonogram. And oppose laws making then see a songram before deciing on an abortion

Before a woman chooses abortion, it is extremely important for her to take time to understand what is involved. There are risks from the procedure. There can be uncontrolled bleeding, infection, possible infertility, tearing of the cervix, allergic reactions to drugs, perforation of the uterus and, in extreme cases, death. This complication is very rare and occurs, on average, in less than 20 cases per year, according to J. T. Linde’s Operative Gynecology, published in 2008 by CareNet.The emotional impact following an abortion is often overlooked or downgraded, but it can be pervasive and long-lasting. There can be guilt, anger, anxiety and depression. Things may go along fine for a couple of months, but for some people these feelings cannot be buried forever.

There is another type of abortion that is unspeakably barbaric. It is difficult to believe that it can happen in a civilized country.
I write of partial-birth abortion but will not define it. Recently the leading partial-birth abortionist in the country, who ended the lives of 60,000 babies, was killed. There was no reason for this militancy. Now all pro-life movements are in a dark shadow because of one person. The person who did this does not speak for the pro-life community.
A human life is a human life.
More quotes from this article

Choices are available that have positive outcomes of unwanted pregnancies. There are 1.3 million couples awaiting a child and only 25,000 babies available in the U.S. right now, according to Fort Worth’s Gladney Center for Adoption. Imagine being able to place your baby in the eager and loving arms of a couple. You have not only given life to a child, but unselfishly given that child a chance for a warm and secure future, as well as answered the prayers of a childless couple.
Of course there is sadness and tears, but one can go on without the burden of guilt. Adoption is a win-win.

Here is a link to the gladney center if you wish to refute those numbers.
Gladney Center for Adoption

Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
I'm afraid that if abortion was illegal, there'd be more abortions because women would feel more desperate when faced with an unwanted pregnancy. I'm afraid they'd simply do whatever it took to kill their babies - and possibly kill themselves in the process - out of fear. The one good thing about it being legal is that women know they have a choice and, thus, are possibly less likely to be desperately wanting the pregnancy to end.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm afraid that if abortion was illegal, there'd be more abortions because women would feel more desperate when faced with an unwanted pregnancy. I'm afraid they'd simply do whatever it took to kill their babies - and possibly kill themselves in the process - out of fear. The one good thing about it being legal is that women know they have a choice and, thus, are possibly less likely to be desperately wanting the pregnancy to end.
According to the article i just posted.

Choices are available that have positive outcomes of unwanted pregnancies. There are 1.3 million couples awaiting a child and only 25,000 babies available in the U.S. right now, according to Fort Worth’s Gladney Center for Adoption. Imagine being able to place your baby in the eager and loving arms of a couple. You have not only given life to a child, but unselfishly given that child a chance for a warm and secure future, as well as answered the prayers of a childless couple.
Of course there is sadness and tears, but one can go on without the burden of guilt. Adoption is a win-win

Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
And what? That is supposed to change my mind. I work with the sick and disabled on a daily basis. If you as a person choose to keep and raise a child with disabilities then great for you. But there are alot of others who are just not cut out for it. Just like everyones not cut out for parenting or being a dr. It takes all kinds
two points. Not all babies you want aborted woudl be in foster care and from the same article.

Of course there is sadness and tears, but one can go on without the burden of guilt. Adoption is a win-win

Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
According to the article i just posted.

Here's the thing though - the less choices they have, the more desperate they are. Some may be wanting to get out of being pregnant rather than getting out of being parents.

If they know they can get out of being pregnant, they may be less likely to actually take steps to end their pregnancy with a lot of that fear gone.

Is your main goal to see abortion go away or to see it criminalized? I know I'd rather see it go away as much as possible, even if that means no criminalization.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Here's the thing though - the less choices they have, the more desperate they are. Some may be wanting to get out of being pregnant rather than getting out of being parents.

If they know they can get out of being pregnant, they may be less likely to actually take steps to end their pregnancy with a lot of that fear gone.

Is your main goal to see abortion go away or to see it criminalized? I know I'd rather see it go away as much as possible, even if that means no criminalization.
my man goal it overturn roe versus wade anf make it a state issue

Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
I voted pro choice but have to add I will only be in favor of that if late abortions will be forbidden by law! Also I'm only in favor if birth control and morning after pills will be more and easier available so less abortions have to occur.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
my man goal it overturn roe versus wade anf make it a state issue
Many of the pro-choice people don't think there's any chance Roe v. Wade will ever be overturned. Odd, given that the pro-choice groups know that today it would likely be a 5-4 decision and that's why they were so insistent on wanting Obama elected over McCain.

Regardless, if Roe v. Wade were overturned, some states would keep it legal. Women in the states where it was illegal could simply travel to the "legal" states and have as many abortions as they wanted. Does that solve anything? I suppose it does, but still, it wouldn't KEEP women who live in any state from having abortions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies