Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 07:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Duplicate thread, and I'm not going to go through 10 pages again to explain to you how a conservative, or liberals OPINION on the DEFINITION of "torture" doesnt change the DEFINITION of "torture"

Conservative Radio Host Undergoes Waterboarding To Prove It Isn't Torture, He Changed His Mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
By definition, it is torture.

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Mucked, ok. Merge this thread with the other or just lock it.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:54 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
I have to give him points for honesty. When he actually experienced it he manned up, admitted he was wrong, and agreed that waterboarding is torture just like the US said when the Japanese did it to our men.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Than Bush and his Administration according to you logic have nothing to hide, right? But they do...
If you say so, from your posts I can see how much of an expert on the topics tht you are..

NOT

Old 05-23-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It is not torture, and repeating it over, and over, and over, does not make it so..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As used in this chapter—
(1) “torture†means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
(2) “severe mental pain or suffering†means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from— (A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality; and

(3) “United States†means the several States of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States.

Clearly the law says these people were not "tortured"..

But hey, dont let that stand in your way of lies..
Quote:
1) No intent to cause several physical or mental pain, nor does it cause either, it causes several discomfort and disorients individuals, no pain
2) Prolonged mental harm, the proceedure lasts 14 seconds, NOT prolonged,
2C, throws it out completely, no threat of immediate death,

In order to meet the LEGAL definition, there has to be intent.. I didnt write the law, I dont support the way its written, however I dont have to agree with how its written to understand thats the way it is and if you want it changed, you need to ask DEMOCRATS to change it, they are after all the ones yelling and screaming about it, AND they have ALL of the power to change it TODAY, instead of grandstanding about it..

Old 05-23-2009, 09:14 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The whole subject of torture is enough to turn the stomach of any decent person. Yet, in the old scenario, "What if someone KNEW where the next 9/11 would happen, and didn't want to talk?".....or "What if a gang of kidnappers had YOUR child, and wouldn't reveal her whereabouts", the fact remains that this type of coercion HAS paid off in 'saved lives' on a few occasions, and as far as I know, has ONLY been applied to those who have consistently refused to 'talk' voluntarily.

Is that 'good' or 'bad'? I don't know. Apparently, waterboarding is 'torture'. So be it. A swat with a broomstick, a slap on the back, and an attack with a baseball bat are all "beating", too. It's an ugly world, and war is probably mankind's ugliest 'pursuit'.

Waterboarding is torture? OK. I still think MOST of us, if we CHOSE to be tortured rather than "talk", would prefer to be 'waterboarded', than to have our fingernails extracted, or to be gone over with the 'Bernz-o-Matic' plumber's torch.

War is hell....its degrading and ugly. But the idea is to WIN, not engage in a 'fair fight'. You win by making the enemy decide he'd rather surrender than to continue to fight. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any "nice", civilized way to do this. War is NOT nice, nor is it civilized. If waterboarding is really torture, I suppose 'bombing' is murder.

If we don't like wars, we'd be well advised to stay home.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:25 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Ratified 12/15/1791.
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

I beg to differ and the Constitution kind of does too...
[Torture apologist]But it says "punishment". They are not being sentenced to torture, so the 8th doesn't apply.[/Torture apologist]

Old 05-23-2009, 10:37 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Heck yes, if they use planes to kill our fellow Americans and behead our fellow Americans then we can toss some damn water up their nose.

So the terrorists are your role models?

If you do not want to stand behind protecting your fellow Americans then why are you even here on our soil?

Well, I like living here on this soil. And I like it that we are not a theoracy. And I am not at all convinced that "tossing some damn water up someone's nose" is effective in getting information, and I really don't want to look to terrorists as role models.

Damn liberals are on their side is all is comes down to.

Are you always prone to such extreme generalizations??

Maybe we can get a few liberals to foster care some of those terrorists for a while since they seem to love them so much.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. That comment is really too silly and "emotional" to even merit a response, but I feel some pity for you, therefore, I did at lease acknowledge it.

What would you people do if you found out that Obama was torturing someone to get information? It would be ok then wouldnt it?
If Obama was using torture on anyone, I would support every effort and work hard to see that Obama would be charged and indicted for such a crime, and would DEFINITELY want to see him on trial for the same. You do the crime, then you do the time and receive the punishment. When it comes to torture, I'm an equal-opportunity believer in accountability.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:41 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,140 times
Quote:
Because they test for accuracy by asking the terrorists for answers that the interrogator already knows to be true..
OMG! LMAO. Are you really that naive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies