Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:59 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,741 times

Advertisements

Well, Obama is doing something right on this one. 4 years after Katrina, many are still living in the trailers provided by FEMA. They were supposed to be out by June 07 and they said they couldn't. This program is costing the tax payers billions of dollars.

Now Obama is saying the party has come to an end and they have to get out.

This story was on AOL this AM and there was a single woman with her SEVEN kids. I'll keep my mouth shut on that one.

I want to know what happened to the BILLIONS of dollars that were donated? While everyone one was so quick to point fingers at Bush all I can say is, where is the $$$ that went to New Orleans?

Each person could be living in mansion with all the money that area got.

These people need to get out and get jobs and quit demanding hand outs. They have been in these trailers for 4 yrs! They can't get a job and find a place to live in 4 yrs? Please!

They could have gotten FREE education and gotten a BA degree in that much time!

Katrina Victims Face Eviction From Federal Housing - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 04:08 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,631,313 times
From what I understand the people that got the "free" trailers in NO, were living off the government LONG BEFORE Katrina wiped out the city.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:10 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Well, Obama is doing something right on this one. 4 years after Katrina, many are still living in the trailers provided by FEMA. They were supposed to be out by June 07 and they said they couldn't. This program is costing the tax payers billions of dollars.

This story was on AOL this AM and there was a single woman with her SEVEN kids. I'll keep my mouth shut on that one.

I want to know what happened to the BILLIONS of dollars that were donated? While everyone one was so quick to point fingers at Bush all I can say is, where is the $$$ that went to New Orleans?

These people need to get out and get jobs and quit demanding hand outs. They have been in these trailers for 4 yrs! They can't get a job and find a place to live in 4 yrs? Please!

Katrina Victims Face Eviction From Federal Housing - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com
I feel kind of mean in saying this, but the people left behind in New Orleans were pretty much the dregs of society. A vasectomy or tubal ligation should have been the first step for many of them.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I feel kind of mean in saying this, but the people left behind in New Orleans were pretty much the dregs of society. A vasectomy or tubal ligation should have been the first step for many of them.
Oh I agree 100%.

I went to New Orleans after Katrina with my hospital. I worked there for almost 5 weeks. It was horrible. I went there with a big heart and feeling so bad for the people down there. I left with a different mindset. I was spit at, stolen from, called every name in the book. Luckily I wasn't shot at. Some of the people I went with where shot at. It was like trying to care for wild rabid animals. In all that time I only had one person thank me and it was from a little old blind lady.

Those people not only expect, but they demand handouts. It is a cess pool.

Every Liberal should have gone down there and spend a few weeks there. They might have a different idea on how to handle welfare people.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post

I'm still mixed on Obama but i applaud him for walking this out. I'm sorry but 4 years is more than enough time to get a decent job and a place to stay. Your life may not be fully back together but you should at least made some progress in substaining yourself.

With the stories i heard about those trailers why would you not try to substain yourself instead of staying in those filthy trailers for 4 years?

Old 05-24-2009, 04:44 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Good. After four years I think the label of 'Katrina Victim' should be worn out.
They were given a gift of free housing for four years -- that they still couldn't/wouldn't get their lives sorted out says a lot about their priorities.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Yup. Times up.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm still mixed on Obama but i applaud him for walking this out. I'm sorry but 4 years is more than enough time to get a decent job and a place to stay. Your life may not be fully back together but you should at least made some progress in substaining yourself.

With the stories i heard about those trailers why would you not try to substain yourself instead of staying in those filthy trailers for 4 years?
New Orleans had a lot of public housing built in the 1960's and I think the handful of people still in the FEMA trailers are probably the people who were living in the projects.

One of the few good moves New Orleans has done was to condemn the old projects and have them torn down. The whole idea of segregating the poor all in one place is horrible just from the stand by of people tend to do what everyone around them does so if everyone is poor and gangbanging then more often then not they do it too. A much better solution is Section 8 housing where individuals have to go out and locate their own housing but a city will provide a small cash subsidy to help pay for the rent, normally paid directly to the landlord. The reason this is better is because it doesn't lock the poor all into one place and it spreads the burden around more evenly between different neighborhoods allowing young kids from poor families to also see how middle and even upper class people live. This can give them different role models and show them there is another path in life then just copying their parents' failures.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:01 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
I'm done worrying about the Katrina victims. They have taken "victim" to the height of a career.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 PM

I agree the term "Victim" is ridiculous. I only used it in my title because that is what the article used as their title.

There is no reason why these people are still claiming to be "victims" The only thing they are victims of is their own laziness. They have chosen to label themselves "victims" so they can blame others for their circumstances.

Look at the people in Sri Lanka and Asia where they lost 200,000 people. Entire families were wiped out, homes were leveled and those people stood patiently waiting in lines for rice and water.

Those people had nothing left and they have rebuilt and returned back to work.

That alone should tell us that these people in New Orleans are just ungrateful, lazy people.

They won't move unless someone comes there and takes them out and relocates them. Remember these are the people who were told to get out before the hurricane arrived and they refused to get on the busses and get out of town. So why would they listen now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies