Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,100,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Blabbering huh? Well, seems we have something in common then.
I gave you a point by point refutation, if the above response is the best you can do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:04 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,849,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let's take your sports analogy a step further.

You have an experienced QB who looks befuddled in the huddle, is incapable of throwing the long pass, consistently passes off to a running back to can't hold on to the ball, and who calls a time out during a critical drive for no know reason...

vs.

A young rookie phenom, who is clear and decisive in the huddle, who can run or pass, reads defenses like an experienced pro and who has shown an ability to consistently move the ball against he best defenses in the league.

We know who you would go with, but the rest of us wanted to win the game.
I went with the QB that has been dead and burried around 200 years. thomas jefferson. calling barry a phenom is quite the reach there. I read up on his voting record, and he seemed like more of the same to me. using my sports analogy, I compare obama to brian bozworth. he talked a big game, and sold himself well and went high in the draft. but if he ever faced a real man (bo jackson) he would get his azz steamrolled.

Last edited by thefinalsay; 05-27-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,560,617 times
The bottom line is that Clarence Thomas represents an unfortunate "sort" of African American man.

Black America has no problem with conservatism (Colin Powell, Condi Rice) the problem with Clarence Thomas is that he made a conscious decision to step on the necks of those who helped support him and allowed him to reach for the stars.

Its like that person whose family works to pay for this one child to gain a higher education. And in turn that person turns around and ridicules their less-educated siblings for being "lazy".

And having a Cauasian wife didn't help his perception. While I could care less if he had a purple, pink or blue wife, in the African American community it simply solidified that he was trying ridiculously hard to aspire to "whiteness" while being disrespectful to the African American woman Anita Hill.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,986,928 times
Default I disagree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The bottom line is that Clarence Thomas represents an unfortunate "sort" of African American man.

Black America has no problem with conservatism (Colin Powell, Condi Rice) the problem with Clarence Thomas is that he made a conscious decision to step on the necks of those who helped support him and allowed him to reach for the stars.

Its like that person whose family works to pay for this one child to gain a higher education. And in turn that person turns around and ridicules their less-educated siblings for being "lazy".

And having a Cauasian wife didn't help his perception. While I could care less if he had a purple, pink or blue wife, in the African American community it simply solidified that he was trying ridiculously hard to aspire to "whiteness" while being disrespectful to the African American woman Anita Hill.
Colin Powell and Condi Rice in my opinion are not Conservatives.

They are Republicans.

They stood by Bush, but they are both adore by African Americans.

The question is why would Blacks still adore Colin and Condi and not Clarence "The Tom" Thomas, when they both worked for Bush?

Affirmative Action is one of the reasons, not the only reason why Blacks disagrees with Tommy.

Many affluent Blacks reached out to Tommy, but he refused to have anything to do with the Congregational Black Caucus, Black Media or helping Young Blacks as a positive role model. He turns down their invitations!!

That's why Blacks call him a Uncle Tom, because he would rather be with his White constituents.

Marrying a White woman does not have anything to do with it. You cannot help who you fall in love with.

I personally do not have anything against the man.

He has a problem with me!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,633,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

I guess then, that you would say that there are a lot of NBA and NFL stars aspiring to "whiteness", since quite a few have white wives.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,022,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
An 'Uncle Tom' is a person who adopts the value opinions of his oppressor -- call it a political 'Stockholm syndrome', if you will. Clarence Thomas took in the opinions of the MO Republican who hired him out of Yale law and for the life a me I can't understand how other job options were not open to him, but I guess it is possible. After that (but not really before then) Clarence Thomas considered himself a Republican and he bought their views whole cloth. He is far different than Colin Powell or Michael Steele.

Black folks don't hate Clarence Thomas -- he is just, with good reason, considered an Uncle Tom. Since Associate Justice Thomas has gone out of his way to make political pronouncements, and eschewed the advice of older black jurists who tried to explain some things to him when he was appointed, he has sought that mantle and should not whine about wearing it.

In the words of Thurgood Marshall (quoting his father) about why folks should not just accept a person who happens to be of the same ethnicity (and why it was not mandatory that he be replaced by a black judge): "A black snake will bite you just like a white one."

Justice Marshall was a Justice that you could admire. He was brilliantly qualified to sit on the Court, while Uncle Thomas is unimaginative, unispiring and scalia's lackey.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:42 PM

454 posts, read 796,826 times
I dunno, why do Germans hate Hitler? He was one of them, and is certainly a well-known figure.

'Course, I do hear mutterings about his sense of who was *really* German, but you know how them Deutsche people can be.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,100,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I went with the QB that has been dead and burried around 200 years.
When you get back from the 19th Century, we'll rejoin the conversation.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,704,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I guess then, that you would say that there are a lot of NBA and NFL stars aspiring to "whiteness", since quite a few have white wives.
Maybe the girls are aspiring to Blackness

Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,022,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Affirmative action caused more harm then good, it put people who were not qualified in jobs they simply could not do, therefore it hurt the entire idea of giving someone an advantage or leg up.

Simple, most blacks cannot stand someone like him to start from scratch and build themselves up through hard work and determination and get where he is today.

Just like Bill Cosby, he told the truth and they hate the man for it.

They are very jealous of Clarence Thomas because he came from nothing to become a highly respected person.
Who hates Bill Cosby? I surely don't, but I do despise Uncle Thomas. Uncle Thomas is one of the dumbest justices that has ever sat on the Court. All he ever does is stay silent and copy whatever scalia opines. that is not a sign of brilliance nor inspiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies