Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 AM

556 posts, read 1,563,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Look. I'm what some of the further right leaning folks on this board may call a bleeding-heart liberal. Whatever. Labels don't bother me. What does bother me is this:

Now, without discounting the possibility that this is an intentionally placed incendiary story that uses one-sided adverbs and adjectives that NO legitimate objective news source would ever use in order to incite rage in the general populace, and without discounting the possibility this may just be a tiny piece of a larger dispute between two bickering hens, I agree with dweej that it's more than a bit disappointing that the hospital's initial knee-jerk reaction was to have the lady remove the flag.

That said, this article is more than a little biased and one-sided with its rhetoric, and it was stupid of the hospital to have not responded. They may have had reasons behind their actions that were perfectly justified, so I won't make my own knee-jerk reaction and automatically condemn them. If it plays out that they were just infringing on this woman's right to be a patriot because some Negative Nancy was disgusted by the sight of the flag, then shame on them. I, for one, won't pass judgement till all the FACTS are in. Let he who is without sin and all.
That flag is what gives you the right to state your opinions freely and openly, and without fear of recrimination (aside from dissenting opinion on ye olde forum!)......just imagine if you were, say.....IranTheKid, rather than TexasTheKid!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
I wholeheartedly agree with the ban. It's fine if she wants a picture of her kids on her desk, too, but I would object to her putting up a 3-foot-by-5-foot picture of her kids. Call me anti family if you want to, I still object.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the ban. It's fine if she wants a picture of her kids on her desk, too, but I would object to her putting up a 3-foot-by-5-foot picture of her kids. Call me anti family if you want to, I still object.
and on what grounds? Was this her office or did she have it displayed in the middle of the hallway?

I know we all have our own ideas on these things, but I can not believe any American could disapprove of this???

Nita

Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
That flag is what gives you the right to state your opinions freely and openly, and without fear of recrimination (aside from dissenting opinion on ye olde forum!)......just imagine if you were, say.....IranTheKid, rather than TexasTheKid!

STANDING O!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Sadly, this is becoming the case more and more in this country. We have an influx of people coming here for "freedom" but they only want THEIR freedoms and want ours taken away. We are going to see more and more of it be it those that find the American flag offensive to those that think that any one that is Christian or any other "religious" belief should be holed up and not be seen in public. Give it time, we are also our own worst enemies when it comes to this. We hear all the time about how open-minded some are but they turn around and put down others that believe differently than themselves and think that people should just be quiet and not express their beliefs outside their own four walls. When we prevent our own fellow countrymen from freedom of speech we have done ourselves in.
This post below is EXACTLY what I am talking about in my post above. Pretty soon we are going to be arrested for standing up and singing the National Anthem if we let this crap go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

She had a 3x5 U.S. flag on a FLAG POLE standing in the corner of her office. How in the world in THIS country is THAT offensive and EXACTLY why should that be banned?

The day this is banned is the day we need to have a MAJOR over throw of our government.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
STANDING O!!!!

The day this is banned is the day we need to have a MAJOR over throw of our government.
Way past time for it anyway. The majority of this country are nothing but wimps and will do whatever the government tells them because they can't think for themselves.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
True enough which is why this statement by the woman who was asked to take it down is so funny to me: Stifling a cry, McLucas said, "I just wonder if all those young men and women over there are really doing this for nothing."

Obviously, no, they aren't doing it for nothing since the offended person was able to say they were offended. When people say such things I always wonder if the speaker in fact understands what it is all for. This coming from a person, me, who gets seriously offended by people that wear those shorts made of the American flag because that goes against the standard of respect I was taught of our flag code.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
True enough which is why this statement by the woman who was asked to take it down is so funny to me: Stifling a cry, McLucas said, "I just wonder if all those young men and women over there are really doing this for nothing."

Obviously, no, they aren't doing it for nothing since the offended person was able to say they were offended. When people say such things I always wonder if the speaker in fact understands what it is all for. This coming from a person, me, who gets seriously offended by people that wear those shorts made of the American flag because that goes against the standard of respect I was taught of our flag code.
EXACTLY!!!! This woman from Africa that was able to come here and get a job and be promoted to a position of authority in management is upset about a 3x5 flag HANGING on a pole and she complains about it. She could have gotten executed in some countries for dissenting the flag. By even muttering one word about it being "offensive" she and her entire family could have been wiped out by tyrant government leaders. But HERE in the U.S. of A. she can speak up about things she objects to ON THE JOB and not risk getting killed OR FIRED! It is all because of what that flag represents and she better be damned proud of it for it has allowed her THAT FREEDOM!

Okay folks, seriously, the SIZE 3x5 is not THAT large. She did not have it Hanging on the wall but it was on a FLAG POLE. To see exactly how much "room" this 3x5 flag took up try this: Get yourself a beach towel (which is most likely longer than 5') and hang it on a broomstick and prop it in the corner. Does it REALLY take up THAT MUCH ROOM!?!?!?!?! NOOOOO! It does not. The space it actually takes up width wise is more like 8" and it drapes downward for about 5'-6'. BIG DEAL!!! I HIGHLY doubt it was the first thing ANYONE saw when they walked into that office.

The comment that "patients" were complaining............. then don't treat them. Especially if they are there w/o any insurance. Send them packing back home if they are THAT offended by the U.S. flag and all it represents INCLUDING MEDICAL TREATMENT!!!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:19 AM

BTW, thanks to everyone who said it was the lady that was upset about the flag that removed it and stuck it waded up in broom closet. On that............. she needs to take a SERIOUS HIKE across the ocean. Someone needs to pluck her up and drop her butt in Saudia Arabia and see how she feels then about that flag. I'd bet she would come back and be the first one to raise up a 10'x20' on the nearest flag pole after that "adventure" if she didn't get herself killed first by saying anything offensive about how they treat women.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM

769 posts, read 888,012 times
Quote:
BTW, thanks to everyone who said it was the lady that was upset about the flag that removed it and stuck it waded up in broom closet. On that............. she needs to take a SERIOUS HIKE across the ocean. Someone needs to pluck her up and drop her butt in Saudia Arabia and see how she feels then about that flag. I'd bet she would come back and be the first one to raise up a 10'x20' on the nearest flag pole after that "adventure" if she didn't get herself killed first by saying anything offensive about how they treat women.
That is beautiful.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,294,766 times
I would be willing to bet these two broads probably didnt get along prior to the flag incident, and anything one did the other probably complained about. The Flag was probably just a casualty in their feud. Anytime you have to share a workspace, tension is usually sure to follow and a shared workspace is often times a very small workspace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies