Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:00 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,627 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Liberal political correctness. This is what it brings us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
That flag is what gives you the right to state your opinions freely and openly, and without fear of recrimination (aside from dissenting opinion on ye olde forum!)......just imagine if you were, say.....IranTheKid, rather than TexasTheKid!

Sigh... Way to make me the bad guy here. I'm not even sure if you read past the "bleeding-heart liberal" part of my last post. So I can be clear, what I said was if the hospital made a knee-jerk reaction to make this woman remove the flag because of some insipid claim by some other woman, the hospital should be ashamed. I also said that not all the facts were presented in that article, and pointed out it was an article that used some ridiculously biased rhetoric (as opposed to "fair and balanced" rhetoric), which calls into question the intent of the article, AND its legitimacy. Then, I said I wouldn't pass judgement until I knew all the facts. Why is it such a problem with you for a person to make an informed decision? I'd feel preety bad if I outright condemned someone or something and then later realized my condemnation was unwarranted and unjustified.

So, what I did was check other sources. I clicked on a new tab in my browser and googled the story. I found several other articles, most with benign, objective language. From these unbiased pieces, I learned the situation was indeed not as it appears and the hospital did not make a knee-jerk capitulation to a woman making an insipid claim. As it actually was, it was a fight between two women and had absolutely zero to do with management at the hospital. The hospital had nothing to do with removing the flag!! You know, it's a good thing to be informed. Get your news from more than one source, especially when one of those sources is Fox News. They're hardly the vanguard of objectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
This post below is EXACTLY what I am talking about in my post above. Pretty soon we are going to be arrested for standing up and singing the National Anthem if we let this crap go on.
Well then, it's a good thing so many people got upset about it and protested. You can't take the actions of a private company and extrapolate it to our government with any seriousness though. The fact of the matter is, that hospital is a private business and they can dictate exactly what can or cannot be displayed in their offices, regardless of whether or not you or I agree with it. The government has no right to tell Kindred Healthcare how to run their offices as long as their healthcare is in compliance with federal safety regulations. When the government starts dictating behavior, one way or another, THAT is when we should overthrow the government. It's the people's job, not the government's job, to boycott that hospital if they don't like it. You want the government to stay out of your business and not tell you what to do, but at the same time you want them to get into someone else's business and tell them what to do? That's hypocrisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
She had a 3x5 U.S. flag on a FLAG POLE standing in the corner of her office. How in the world in THIS country is THAT offensive and EXACTLY why should that be banned?
It's not offensive. That's why people got upset. By the way, here's a quote from that different article I mentioned earlier, one that is decidedly less biased:
Quote:
This issue was simply a dispute between two employees who shared a small workspace, one of whom removed the flag because of its size. It's important to note that hospital management was not involved in the decision to remove the flag and has since worked with both employees to resolve the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Welcome to Liberal political correctness. This is what it brings us.
And where exactly is that? Really? Maybe we should actually be annoyed at the devisive and imflammatory nature of the rhetoric of that article from Fox News. It was full of half-truths and false innuendos. In reality, the hospital had nothing to do with it, and the fight was a stupid personal thing between two idiots. Now, all you knee-jerkers, don't you have egg on your face?

Kindred Healthcare Supports the Flag and the Sacrifices it Represents - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/prnewswire/2009/05/27/prnewswire200905272101PR_NEWS_USPR_____PH23515.htm l - broken link)

Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Sigh... Way to make me the bad guy here. I'm not even sure if you read past the "bleeding-heart liberal" part of my last post. So I can be clear, what I said was if the hospital made a knee-jerk reaction to make this woman remove the flag because of some insipid claim by some other woman, the hospital should be ashamed. I also said that not all the facts were presented in that article, and pointed out it was an article that used some ridiculously biased rhetoric (as opposed to "fair and balanced" rhetoric), which calls into question the intent of the article, AND its legitimacy. Then, I said I wouldn't pass judgement until I knew all the facts. Why is it such a problem with you for a person to make an informed decision? I'd feel preety bad if I outright condemned someone or something and then later realized my condemnation was unwarranted and unjustified.

So, what I did was check other sources. I clicked on a new tab in my browser and googled the story. I found several other articles, most with benign, objective language. From these unbiased pieces, I learned the situation was indeed not as it appears and the hospital did not make a knee-jerk capitulation to a woman making an insipid claim. As it actually was, it was a fight between two women and had absolutely zero to do with management at the hospital. The hospital had nothing to do with removing the flag!! You know, it's a good thing to be informed. Get your news from more than one source, especially when one of those sources is Fox News. They're hardly the vanguard of objectivity.
You have assumed too much, and you know what they say about assumption. In fact, I read multiple accounts of this story, to weed through opinion and bias. I never assume that one story is definitive, for any incident, past or present.

It is clear that the woman who objected had an issue with the flag itself, and this started the event. My point still remains that the flag gives you the freedom to express your opinion.

I remain an informed Conservative.....Libertarian.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Woman Upset After American Flag Taken Down At Work - cbs11tv.com (http://cbs11tv.com/local/patriotism.at.office.2.1020415.html - broken link)

Now this beats anything I have heard. Our AMERICAN flag is now "offensive". According to people and patients at this North Texas Hospital, it is!

I bet if a Mexican had a Mexican Flag hanging in their office, noone would have said a peep.

Sad!! Very Very SAD!!

It is sad, but such is life now in these United States

Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times
Why won't the woman who actually complained come out and explain why she did what she did?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Woman Upset After American Flag Taken Down At Work - cbs11tv.com (http://cbs11tv.com/local/patriotism.at.office.2.1020415.html - broken link)

Now this beats anything I have heard. Our AMERICAN flag is now "offensive". According to people and patients at this North Texas Hospital, it is!

I bet if a Mexican had a Mexican Flag hanging in their office, noone would have said a peep.

Sad!! Very Very SAD!!
I guess this is a good example of what Republicans think is important to worry about.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
My point still remains that the flag gives you the freedom to express your opinion.
I totally agree with this, but conversely, it also gives the other woman a right to express her opinion, no matter how much either of us disagree with her. It didn't necessarily give her a right to take it down, but that's a matter for the hospital to pursue, not the government. Unless either women broke a law, the government does not have a right to interfere with this matter. I guess the point I was attempting to drive home was that it's irresponsible to 1) blame the government for this, 2) blame liberals for this and 3) blame anyone for this other than the idiot who took the flag down.

Also, don't you think it's a bit presumptuous of everyone in this forum to blame the other woman simply because she was from a different country? Perhaps her motivations had nothing to do with a lack of patriotism. Perhaps the first woman kept the flagstand in a place that encroached on the second lady's space. Perhaps the second lady didn't object to the flag at all, but just disliked its location. Perhaps the two ladies simply hated each other and used every opportunity to needle each other. Who knows? Not a single article explains the second lady's motivations. It's unfortunate, and telling of the general mindset of so many in this forum, that we'd assume just because she's originally from another country that her motivations were due to a hatred of the flag and for what it stands. No one knows that lady. No one here knows whether or not her eyes well up when she hears the national anthem. No one knows these things. No one. A lot of immigrants in this country love America as much or more than most Americans do, and it's ridiculous to assume just because she wasn't born here she hates it here.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:02 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:

Sad!! Very Very SAD!!
It's a place of work, not a place for employees to put flags up all over the place, no matter what the flag.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:05 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
If they don't like the American flag, they should leave America. Simple as that.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It's a place of work, not a place for employees to put flags up all over the place, no matter what the flag.
Wasn't that Obama headquarters that had the big picture of Che Guevera on the wall in Texas? Yeah, I believe it was and the workers may well have been Mexicans, illegal or resident citizens and there are lots of them in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies