Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times

Advertisements

I don't really see how his speech tried to rewrite history. Here is exactly what he said:

Quote:
I know, too, that Islam has always been a part of America's story. The first nation to recognize my country was Morocco. In signing the Treaty of Tripoli in 1796, our second President John Adams wrote, "The United States has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Muslims." And since our founding, American Muslims have enriched the United States. They have fought in our wars, served in government, stood for civil rights, started businesses, taught at our Universities, excelled in our sports arenas, won Nobel Prizes, built our tallest building, and lit the Olympic Torch. And when the first Muslim-American was recently elected to Congress, he took the oath to defend our Constitution using the same Holy Koran that one of our Founding Fathers - Thomas Jefferson - kept in his personal library.
Can you explain to me how mentioning the fact that Jefferson had a copy of the Koran is rewriting history? Can you show me where in the speech Obama says Jefferson and Adams were staunch supporters of Islam and what it teaches? Thanks.

He is saying Islam has always had a part in America's history...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
He is a former Professional Staff Member (Majority) of both the U.S. Senate Defense Appropriations and Foreign Operations Appropriations subcommittees. Dr. Fishbein also served as a Special Assistant for National Security Affairs to Senator Daniel K. Inouye (D-HI).

A graduate (Ph.D.) from the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies at The Johns Hopkins Univesity
So what?

Cite his source.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:16 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
In Obama's speech in Cairo today he tried to rewrite history by strongly implying that our Founding Fathers were supporters of Islam and what it teaches. He did this by stating that Thomas Jefferson had a copy of the Koran in his library. If you read unedited history you find out that the reason Jefferson had the Koran is that he wanted to read it and understand why Islam had an intolerance for anyone that wasn't muslim and what was the basis for the muslim belief that a person be muslim, convert to muslim, or die. Jefferson and John Adams were in no way supportive of many of the beliefs of Islam. I'm would imagine that Jefferson and Adams are turning over in their graves today.
Yes, and funny how somehow this Muslim Enlightenment Barry speaks of has passed them by. I think Barry needs to brush up on his world history: Alexandria, Constantinople and the Byzantnie Empire, etc. As a citizen of the world, you'd think he'd note how events eventually resulted in the isolation of the Muslim world. They're virtually lliving in the 9th century mentality and squalor, and stoning women. Gee--Enlightenment, indeed! What's this guy smokin?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,933,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Wow, you're impressed by credentials, too, and you dont care if the credentialed person cites sources, either?

You must not know many "academicians."
Why don't you post something intelligent or refute material offered. Do you not have the ability or just not interested.

Try to be at least constructive in your post. You have offered nothing and that makes it hard to start any real debate, worthy conversation.

Based on your standard, you had to be there?

Impressed with credentials, I did not notice them.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:18 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Wow, you're impressed by credentials, too, and you dont care if the credentialed person cites sources, either?

You must not know many "academicians."
Quote:
Im still waiting for someone to cite his source.

edit - no, Im waiting for CD to run out the 60 seconds for my post to submit.
You seem to indicate that academicians require good sources. Would you agree that he is an academician? After all, he did work for a Democrat.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:18 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,982 times
Quote:
So what?

Cite his source.
holy cow! - It is their research!!

You lost the argument - Deal with it.

I think you are the one who needs to go to school.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,899 times
I am sure that Obama is aware of world history. But you can't establish common ground or seek to improve relations with another country by insulting them and asserting your own superiority.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Yes, and funny how somehow this Muslim Enlightenment Barry speaks of has passed them by. I think Barry needs to brush up on his world history: Alexandria, Constantinople and the Byzantnie Empire, etc. As a citizen of the world, you'd think he'd note how events eventually resulted in the isolation of the Muslim world. They're virtually lliving in the 9th century mentality and squalor, and stoning women. Gee--Enlightenment, indeed! What's this guy smokin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Why don't you post something intelligent or refute material offered. Do you not have the ability or just not interested.

Try to be at least constructive in your post. You have offered nothing and that makes it hard to start any real debate, worthy conversation.

This poster you are responding to has a hard time accepting any evidence that is not of their own or out of the Mouth of their savior Barack Obama.

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post

Hahaha, really terrible try.

People make claims.

They need to back them up. This is REALLY basic. Doesnt get more basic than this.

None of you can defend your heavily credentialed Baltimorean's claim.

He doesnt give a source, I can only suppose.

Yet you all insist that because he has appended a lot of leis to his name, his claim therefore is correct.

All I can say is

Old 06-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Hahaha, really terrible try.

People make claims.

They need to back them up. This is REALLY basic. Doesnt get more basic than this.

None of you can defend your heavily credentialed Baltimorean's claim.

He doesnt give a source, I can only suppose.

Yet you all insist that because he has appended a lot of leis to his name, his claim therefore is correct.

All I can say is
Well Your President told us he created 150,000 jobs with the stimulus.
That source you accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies