Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com

California Controller John Chiang, a Democrat, warned last week that the state was "less than 50 days away from a meltdown of state government."

The administration is worried that California will enact massive cuts to close its deficit, estimated at $24 billion for the fiscal year that begins July 1, aggravating the state's recession and further dragging down the national economy.

After a series of meetings, Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner, top White House economists Lawrence Summers and Christina Romer, and other senior officials have decided that California could hold on a little longer and should get its budget in order rather than rely on a federal bailout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 03:30 PM

it will be interesting to see if the government stays the course on this one, or capitulates.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Substitute "California" for "GM" and it sounds like the same, sad story.

Too big to fail. I think Arnie is going to call their bluff and I think the Fed gov't will step in on 7/1.
The Fed can't let states default; whatever foreign investment is left will flee and that puts the Fed in danger. IMO..Arnie can't lose on this by holding out.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:36 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Ok, let me get this straight. Congress wants to hand over billions to the IMF for a "world bailout," but California gets the rebuff?

Make no mistake, i'm no handout junkie by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to defy logic that we'd let one of our own suffer while spending our tax money on other countries?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Ok, let me get this straight. Congress wants to hand over billions to the IMF for a "world bailout," but California gets the rebuff?

Make no mistake, i'm no handout junkie by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to defy logic that we'd let one of our own suffer while spending our tax money on other countries?

They could also put off this big healthcare reform for a year and use that to help the states.
They could also stop sending billions to Iraq each month and help the states.
There's a lot the fed government could do to help the states but they choose not to.

I say this because while California may be in the spotlight today..they are the first and won't be the last to have these fiscal problems.

Makes you wonder whose side the Fed is on.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:44 PM

maybe california doesn't get the money because they want to see a republican governor sweat .....

Old 06-16-2009, 03:45 PM

Here's an interesting bloomberg article on "what if" regarding California:

California Leads Nation to Bond Default Abyss: Kevin Hassett - Bloomberg.com

snippets:
"...the California budget crisis may well lead to a second financial calamity that would be far worse than anything experienced over the past 18 months.
So if the unofficial eighth-largest economy fails on its debt, might the debt for the largest economy go with it?
The Democrats have controlled the California legislature for most of the past four decades. In spite of protestations by the occasional powerless Republican governor, the Democrats adopted economic policies that define left-wing nirvana.
California is in crisis because state spending is so high that even those hefty taxes aren’t enough to balance the budget. "

Old 06-16-2009, 03:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
maybe california doesn't get the money because they want to see a republican governor sweat .....
So if the Obama Administration doesn't give California money, it's because of anti-Republican motives, and if they do, it's because they're favoring a Democratic state?

Old 06-16-2009, 04:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Substitute "California" for "GM" and it sounds like the same, sad story.

Too big to fail. I think Arnie is going to call their bluff and I think the Fed gov't will step in on 7/1.
The Fed can't let states default; whatever foreign investment is left will flee and that puts the Fed in danger. IMO..Arnie can't lose on this by holding out.
I personally find it ironic about how the Feds can bail out the banks and auto makers but are not willing to bail out one of its own states. Many of Californias public employees are facing layoffs and my job is iffy but I guess I can fork over my tax dollars to bail out private corporations.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:53 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
California doesn't count because there is no way it can distribute "dollars" to foreign governments and banks like the IMF can.

Obama cares more for the "dollar" and it's #1 position in the world, than he ever could or will, about the states or the people in those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies