Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Wouldnt this help our economy? Less health care, less weight would equal less energy usage. Just seems to make sense to me? Any ideas?

No. I think we should make the fatting foods FREE, so they can pork themselves to death. Then we wouldn't have to pay for their lapbands and high blood pressure meds under UHC, just because they just can't put the twinkie down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,931 posts, read 3,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Michelle Obama would certainly have a big tax burden if we did.
While I am a workout nut and do agree Michelle Obama is not in great shape I can only imagine what you must say about people who are really really fat. I mean we all see them in the streets and at work. Kinda of scary.

1,020 posts, read 2,755,586 times
Sure, simply put a 1/10th of a cent tax on every calorie in every food product. Healthy foods have less calories, so they would be taxed less and people would be encouraged to buy them, and thus become healthy. Children already eat less than adults, so there is a tax break built in to the system for them too. Doing the math, an average 2,000 calorie per day diet would tax the average american 2 dollars a day. Multiplying this by the total number of Americans (304 million I think), and 365.25 days per year, and you come up with a figure of a little over 222 billion in increased tax revenues.

/sarcasm

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Wouldnt this help our economy? Less health care, less weight would equal less energy usage. Just seems to make sense to me? Any ideas?
I would not be opposed to looking into a "fat tax". The problem is determining the weight. BMI is WAY outdated. Maybe it could be a tax on the disgustingly obese. We could get a obesity czar.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:48 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
No, you're wrong.

Fat people should get a tax break based on their personal poundage, because they are major consumers, and in a literal sense.

Our whole economy depends on consuming.

All of the McJobs would disappear if fat people were to be taxed.

Doctors and hospitals would go broke.

What are you - some kind of a nation-wrecker?

Fat people are this nations true financial patriots.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I think we should put a pretty heavy tax on junk foods. Snack foods such as soda, chips, candy, etc. should carry a heavier tax which would help cover the health care costs.
I agree. For example sugary soda should be taxed at 50 cents per 16 oz (a can) while the sugar free soda should not be taxed at all. The would mean a 6 pack of sugary Cola would sell for $3 more than the same diet Cola and that $3 should go into healthcare.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:50 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Absolutely ... then junk food would cost just as much as healthy food costs now ....

One of the reasons why folks in this country don't eat healthy, is because they cannot afford to ...

Good one on ya tho ...

Good try but honestly the reason people dont eat healthy is because eating crappy food taste better. Thats it. I wish I could eat crap everyday, instead I am stuck eating grilled chicken and fish pretty much everyday. I much rather eat big macs and pizza. People love the taste of crap and have no self control.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Good try but honestly the reason people dont eat healthy is because eating crappy food taste better. Thats it. I wish I could eat crap everyday, instead I am stuck eating grilled chicken and fish pretty much everyday. I much rather eat big macs and pizza. People love the taste of crap and have no self control.
Everything You Ever Need To Know In Life You Learn In The First Grade:

1. Green is good, red is bad.
2. If food taste good, it is bad for you to eat it.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
While I am a workout nut and do agree Michelle Obama is not in great shape I can only imagine what you must say about people who are really really fat. I mean we all see them in the streets and at work. Kinda of scary.
The premise of this thread is scary. If we are going to have a thread like this, why not call Michelle out on her hefty size. She is fair game....a public figure. AND you proved my point I was waiting for as relates to the silliness of this thread.....who decides at what weight one is fat....is it one pound over norm? 10 pounds over norm? 50 pounds over norm? Is Michelle fat? Should she pay extra tax for that lard behind?

Ridiculous threads open themselves to ridiculous responses.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
what about all us in shape folk who can drink sugary drinks all day and not gain weight. and what about the endangerd hummingbird huh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies