Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times

Advertisements

Sen. Boxer Offers No Apology for Rebuking Brigadier General Who Called Her 'Ma'am' - Political News - FOXNews.com

Quote:
She may be a lady and a senator, but don't expect an apology from Barbara Boxer for making the distinction to an Army brigadier general this week.

Aside from a briefly worded statement about a "friendly" conversation she had with Brig. Gen. Michael Walsh after dressing him down for calling her "ma'am," Boxer remained silent Friday in the face of growing calls for her to apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:15 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
"Senator Boxer spoke with General Walsh yesterday

and he said he was fine with her comments at the hearing,"

Boxer spokesman Zachary Coile said in a statement sent Friday to FOXNews.com

Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
I'm not sure what the issue is, I've heard the audio tape, and while she was obnoxious, she was correct.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
There's nothing to apologize for, she politely made a request, and he honored it, that's the end of the story for reasonable people. To try and make this into an issue is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
There's nothing to apologize for, she politely made a request, and he honored it, that's the end of the story for reasonable people. To try and make this into an issue is absolutely ridiculous.
Oh I agree. I just posted the article to see if anyone wanted to discuss it.

If she wishes to be called "Senator" rather than "ma'am," that's her perogative IMO.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Oh I agree. I just posted the article to see if anyone wanted to discuss it.

If she wishes to be called "Senator" rather than "ma'am," that's her perogative IMO.
I disagree, It was a power play pure and simple, she wanted to make absolutely sure that the General knew who "gives the orders". It was petty and stupid. Just another democrat with a grand sense of entitlement.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I disagree, It was a power play pure and simple, she wanted to make absolutely sure that the General knew who "gives the orders". It was petty and stupid. Just another democrat with a grand sense of entitlement.
I understand where your coming from, but I disagree. People with titles are entitled to be called by those titles. Doctors ask to be called Drs, priests, Presidents, Senators, and even the General is entitled to be called General. The title does hold meaning and we can not discredit those positions because the individual is rude or obnoxious..

Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,312 times
Smile I prefer to be called Maestro....

Is it scary that I read this thread and remembered this scene from Seinfeld? Couldn't find a clip so the script will have to do

[Setting: Restaurant. Maestro and Elaine are talking)

MAESTRO: And then about four years ago I was on holiday in Tuscany.

ELAINE: Uh ha.

MAESTRO: And I fell in love with this house.

(Waiter approaches)

WAITER: Are you ready to order?

ELAINE: Oh God. What are you getting Bob?

(Maestro looks at Elaine with an annoyed look on his face)

MAESTRO: Good question. (to waiter) We'll need a few minutes.

(Maestro puts his head in his hand. He is visibly upset)

MAESTRO: You know, I'm sorry but, I didn't mention it earlier but actually I

preferred to be called Maestro.

ELAINE: Excuse me?

MAESTRO: Well, ya know I am a conductor.

ELAINE: Yeah, so?

MAESTRO: Oh I suppose it's O.K. for Leonard Burnstein to be called Maestro because

he conducted the New York Philharmonic. So he gets to be called Maestro and I don't.

ELAINE: Well, I mean don't you think that he was probably called Maestro while he

was conducting, not in social situations. I mean his friends probably just called

him Lenny.

MAESTRO: I happen to know for a fact, that he was called Maestro in social

situations. I once saw him at a bar and someone came up to him and said

"Hello Maestro, how about a beer". O.K. So that's a fact.

ELAINE: Maestro huh? O.K. (laughing)

(Scene ends)

Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
How true. This could have been done in a number of ways that were not insulting to the General. Just let us know when she's NOT offended about something.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,797 times
Well she never did have much class or respect for any one who was not a far left liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies