Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times

Advertisements

I support Global Warming!

Current temp: 13F, wind chill: -1F

(Detroit, MI)

Old 12-14-2015, 10:34 AM
SFX

1,637 posts, read 893,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Even if I won't be here I expect that we will be growing oranges in New England in a couple of hundred years.
I would be happy if oranges could be grown again in Georgia.

Climate change sucks.

Hell, it would be great to be able to grow citrus in North Florida again.

Someday, if we actually do see some global warming.

There was some warming in the 90s and early 2000s, allowing coconut palms to once again grow in the coastal areas of central Florida. 2010 put an end to that.

If global warming was actually happening, like the theory predicted, most people would really be against doing anything to stop climate change. Longer growing seasons and fewer frosts and freezes would be great.

And less snow, that would really be nice.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:22 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Only in the bizarro world.

that's blasphemy.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I support Global Warming!

Current temp: 13F, wind chill: -1F

(Detroit, MI)
Ban thermometers!

Old 09-04-2016, 06:48 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
With the annual summer heat wave in full swing, I'm sure Gore is dusting of his projector and sending his traveling shoes out for a shine.
To be fair there have been one or two summers without heat waves. In New York recent ones would be 2000 and 2004. 2009 and 2014 barely had an official heat wave. Most summers, even ones remembered as cool, such as 1969 or 1992 have at least one robust heat wave.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:30 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Yean, that's why they had to move oyster farming to Hawaii because the acidification on the West Coast didn't really happen and those billions of oysters didn't really die and those businesses just wanted to waste all that money. They probably made a secret deal with Obama to make shells be full of holes.

Here's that 700 scientist thingy.
.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

Where they claim acidification isn't a thing because it can't be a thing because rocks and the ocean will absorb the acid and make everything OKEY DOKEY.
Oysters dying as coast is hit hard | Sea Change: Ocean acidification | The Seattle Times

Oysters now haven't reproduced on their own in Willapa Bay since 2005, so every grower now relies on hatchery-produced larvae. Once the oysters make it to that stage they can survive acidic conditions just fine.

Ocean Acidification Chipping Away at Snail Shells

Hope you don't like King crab.

So Long, Seafood! Ocean Acidification Projected to Slam Alaskan Fisheries
I don't care. I'm allergic to shell fish.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No matter - the dems/libs are going to try and rahm this through. You live in a blue-dog dem state? Contact your rep.

Strassel: The Climate Change Climate Change - WSJ.com

Will Happer Congressional Testimony: "Earth in 'CO2 Famine'" | SOLO - Sense of Life Objectivists

None of the dooms day scenarios from the GW fanatics have come to pass - yet people still give credibility to what they claim will happen in the future.

Insane.
Can you provide a source from any scientific group, scientific agency, respected scientific publication, or any government that says global warming is a hoax? (Answer: No)

Like NASA and every other scientific group says "97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities."
Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet: Scientific Consensus

And American republicans are the only conservative political party on Earth that believe global warming is a hoax.
Why Are Republicans the Only Climate-Science-Denying Party in the World?
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...climate-denial

The corporate Fox news/Rush radio and corporate paid republican politicians say "global warming is a hoax" because combating global warming would reduce corporate profits.

Meet The Climate Denial Machine

Old 09-04-2016, 09:01 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Can you provide a source from any scientific group, scientific agency, respected scientific publication, or any government that says global warming is a hoax? (Answer: No)
Have average temperatures changed in recent times in any city in an inhabited area with advanced weather records? No.

And as far as high mountain areas I just compared my early July 1973 pictures of Lake Solitude, Grand Teton Naional Park, Wyoming to recent TripAdvisor descriptions of the same hike. No change.

This is pure BS.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Have average temperatures changed in recent times in any city in an inhabited area with advanced weather records? No.

And as far as high mountain areas I just compared my early July 1973 pictures of Lake Solitude, Grand Teton Naional Park, Wyoming to recent TripAdvisor descriptions of the same hike. No change.

This is pure BS.
"Averaged over all land and ocean surfaces, temperatures warmed roughly 1.53 degrees Fahrenheit (0.85 degrees Celsius) from 1880 to 2012, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change."

"In the Northern Hemisphere, where most of Earth's land mass is located, the three decades from 1983 to 2012 were likely the warmest 30-year period of the last 1,400 years, according to the IPCC."

https://www2.ucar.edu/climate/faq/ho...last-100-years

About the IPCC,

"The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is a scientific and intergovernmental body under the auspices of the United Nations, set up at the request of member governments, dedicated to the task of providing the world with an objective, scientific view of climate change and its political and economic impacts."

"The IPCC does not carry out its own original research, nor does it do the work of monitoring climate or related phenomena itself. The IPCC bases its assessment on the published literature, which includes peer-reviewed and non-peer-reviewed sources."

Thousands of scientists and other experts contribute (on a voluntary basis, without payment from the IPCC) to writing and reviewing reports, which are then reviewed by governments. IPCC reports contain a "Summary for Policymakers", which is subject to line-by-line approval by delegates from all participating governments. Typically this involves the governments of more than 120 countries."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interg...Climate_Change

Old 09-04-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Have average temperatures changed in recent times in any city in an inhabited area with advanced weather records?
Scientists use temperature records from 1880-2016, and the top 10 hottest years have all happened since 1998. And "2015 was the hottest year on record (since 1880)."

The 10 Hottest Years on Record | Climate Central
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies