Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 12:04 PM

297 posts, read 349,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
No he was sent to the hospital because they would not vomiting a sign alchol poison. As the report states. A drunk is a drunk gay or straight
You weren't there. Neither was I. Todd Camp was:

Todd Camp of Fort Worth, who was at the bar, said one person was hospitalized after hitting his head during the incident. Police could not confirm that Sunday night.

"It was incredibly excessive and brutal," Camp said
Dozens protest arrests at Fort Worth gay bar | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/062909dnmetgaybar.3d86a6d.html - broken link)

Regardless of how you feel about drinking or whatever issues you apparently have with "drunks", you are clearly missing the central issue at hand:

Excessive Police Brutality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM

968 posts, read 1,039,947 times
Quote:
According to Texas law they have every right to do so. All Bars in fort worth are checked for this gay or straight. A gay drunk should be treated as a straight drunk.
I have been in local pub when it happesn and billy bobs with 4500 people. If you leave the cops alone they will leave you alone.Only the fools that are really out of it make a scene and I would rather have them arrested ther ethen kill someoen driving. A PI is minor drun driving is big
It's just so arbitrary - and laws should not be applied that way.

A "bar/liquor license check" is designed, and should be conducted, to determine whether the owner of the license is acting lawfully, not the patrons of the establishment. The way they're done practically everywhere else is an undercover agent and an undercover minor enter the bar/cigar store, etc. If the establishment sells to someone underage then the bar should be ticketed, shutdown for the night, and the bartender arrested.

What shouldn't happen is armed, uniformed officers enter a bar, start arresting patrons left-and-right, and haul them out in the paddy wagon waiting outside for being intoxicated inside a bar (I still find that notion that that's a crime absurd). That's intimidation and abuse of authority.

As for your drunk driving comment, you can't just assume that they're going to drive drunk. We don't arrest people in the US for crimes the might commit, or make up absurd crimes and arrest them for that before they might maybe possibly think about maybe driving drunk. This isn't the Soviet Union or Communist China.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
No he was sent to the hospital because they would not vomiting a sign alchol poison. As the report states. A drunk is a drunk gay or straight
For most of your posts in this thread, I haven't found anything with which to argue. But you are wrong here. Go back to the first post in the thread and read the link. The guy who hit his head on the floor when he was shoved down ended up in the hospital and a CAT scan showed bleeding in the brain.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:22 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet
The checks are quite common here. As i posted it was not 9. 6 officers, two TABC. TABC can not arrest, they are there to cite the bar.6 officers to take down 9 drunks is not unreasonable.
9 straight drunks arrestees 7 gay drunks. A drunk is a drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
Wow. For a gay person, you sure do seem to keep conveniently forgetting to mention that one of the 16 arrested ended up in a hospital with a bleeding brain.

A drunk may indeed be a drunk, but, excessive police brutality is unacceptable in any situation. In this case, it appears to be a hate-based crime against homosexuals.
Don't know where you got the impression that wjtwet is gay. He's not.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
Quote:
[/b]

So, you say that we automatically assume he was innocent in one breath, and then in the next YOU assume he was "out of hand"???

Do I think they went there with the intent to physically beat people? Probably not.

Do I believe that the excessive police brutality that ensued was the result of homophobic attitudes of the officers involved? Definately.

No. I said it was "probable" that a drunk person was getting out of hand in a bar. It makes sense. I didnt assume he did...just give more of a chance of a drunk person in a bar resisting or acting out of control than 9 cops running into a gay bar for the sole purpose of bashing gays.

I'm not ruling out excessive force. I'm just not so quick to jump on the cops like so many here saying they were just looking for a reason to bash gays. Especially when you consider they went to two other bars that night and arrested more at those bars.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
You weren't there. Neither was I. Todd Camp was:

Todd Camp of Fort Worth, who was at the bar, said one person was hospitalized after hitting his head during the incident. Police could not confirm that Sunday night.

"It was incredibly excessive and brutal," Camp said
Dozens protest arrests at Fort Worth gay bar | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/062909dnmetgaybar.3d86a6d.html - broken link)

Regardless of how you feel about drinking or whatever issues you apparently have with "drunks", you are clearly missing the central issue at hand:

Excessive Police Brutality.
the issue was the gay bar somehow singled out for these checks. The asnwer is no.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
the issue was the gay bar somehow singled out for these checks. The asnwer is no.
That wasn't the issue raised by the OP. He or she asked "Do you think the cops involved in this story were purposefully harassing the people in Rainbow Lounge?"

The answer is clearly YES. That doesn't mean the people at the Rosedale Saloon and Cowboy Palace weren't harassed too. They were clearly purposefully harassed by these cops as well.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
That wasn't the issue raised by the OP. He or she asked "Do you think the cops involved in this story were purposefully harassing the people in Rainbow Lounge?"

The answer is clearly YES. That doesn't mean the people at the Rosedale Saloon and Cowboy Palace weren't harassed too. They were clearly purposefully harassed by these cops as well.

What's your reasoning/proof?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:47 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post

the answer is no since there 9 arrests at the straight bar and 7 arrests at the gay bar

Old 06-29-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
What's your reasoning/proof?
I've laid that out in 20+ posts on this particular thread. Feel free to go back and read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies