Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
They were checking the liquor license not drunks. Few of th e drunks decided to be disorderly. Everyone there was not disorderly so everyone did not get arrested for drunk and disorderly
There's no "drunk and disorderly" charge in Texas; public intoxication only requires drunkeness. The disorderly conduct statute doesn't mention anything about drunkeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And that's the question that will hopefully be investigated thoroughly: Were the gay arrestees treated differently than the straight arrestees.

That's all I was trying to get at. Some here automatically assumed the 1 gay person with injuries was just sitting there minding his/her own business when some cops jumped him/her. Not only that but now its turned into "they sent the gay people to the hospital with a bleeding brain". Now the number has jumped from one to numerous. Then the "they only raided the 2 striaght bars so they could go to the gay bar and bash people for no reason".

I find it very probable that the one person that ended up with injuries was out of hand. Do people really think the police would be dumb enough to just go in for no reason and start bashing gay people in front of hundreds of other gay people? Drunks dont use the best judgement...believe, I know..been there done that.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 AM

968 posts, read 1,039,947 times
Quote:
They were checking the liquor license not drunks. Few of th e drunks decided to be disorderly. Everyone there was not disorderly so everyone did not get arrested for drunk and disorderly
And again, why does it take 9 offices with a large supply of plastic tie-handcuffs and a paddy wagon to check a liquor license?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I'm sorry, I just don't buy that. Why did it take the cops coming to the bar for these people to become "disorderly"? I mean, no one called the cops on them, so they were seemingly orderly before the raid.

And if they were being "disorderly", why weren't they also arrested for disorderly conduct?
as the police report stated, the police entered at the request of the TABC to check a liquor license. This bar was one of three that night. The owner was informed two days before it happened. They were not called to look for drunks read the police report i posted. I am positive if anyone straight would have done the same thing they would have been arrested also. At least two had to go to the hospital for alchol poison. Read the police report take in both sides

Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
Quote:
If they're checking for drunks at a bar, why wasn't ever single person arrested?

Do you have to get "drunk" to go to a bar? I mean...college kids, yes, but not everyone.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
And again, why does it take 9 offices with a large supply of plastic tie-handcuffs and a paddy wagon to check a liquor license?
The TABC requested that number

Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
lol... I think you are winning this particular debate single-handedly.

I think the jury is still out on whether or not they were targeting gays, but I don't think there's any question about whether or not the police went to the bars to do more than check liquor licenses. It's clear to me that they were there to arrest people for public intoxication - a waste of resources, in my opinion.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
Perhaps so it didn't look like a deliberate violent raid on a Gay bar on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots?
Oh god, here come the tinfoil hats....

Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Read the police report take in both sides
Yes, we are taking in both sides, but you seem to be taking the side of the police as the gospel truth. The police can say whatever they want; it doesn't mean they're being completely honest.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Do you have to get "drunk" to go to a bar? I mean...college kids, yes, but not everyone.
Yeah, exactly. I've been to a few bars, had a drink or so, but never gotten drunk except for at my and other people's houses.

I'd have to take a closer look at this in order to make my decision. People have been too hard on the police nowadays (The outrage at the 70 year old getting tazed proves this), so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies