Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I suspect that many blacks would prefer to be white. If you look at the black man, for example, he favours a lighter skinned black woman or, if he has the money, a white woman.
Not all black men prefer lighter shaded black women or white women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:35 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
I am very suspicious of this doll test because when I was a little girl I always preferred the black doll because I thought she was pretty and she was like me. Unfortunately I got all my toys from charity and they didn't really buy black dolls for us black girls but the minute I became independant and got my own money I have developed a black doll collection.

And this skin bleaching thing is probably more of an african problem because us black girls in america usually love the skin we are in.
The original "doll test" concerned kids living under segregation. The recent one showed black kids having no preference or preferring the black doll.

I think I said there was a slight tendency to say the black doll was angrier and would do poorer in class, but I'm not sure of that and it was only with a few of the kids. It strikes me that a similar number may have felt the white doll would be a "stuck-up" person. Also a fair amount of the boys just said "I'm a boy, I don't play with dolls."

Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,679 times
It's very odd that the young men in your "story" are concerned about being so dark. Generally speaking, dark skinned black men are considered very desirable - so I don't understand how/why they would be worried about their complexion.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
You miss the point, my friend. Nobody said that dark skinned people were ugly. There are many good looking Black people of all shades. White people do look better with a little color.

However, the fact remains that many light skinned Blacks do discriminate against darker skinned Blacks. This has been going on for a very long time. Many dark skinned Blacks do wish that they were not so dark.

I think I mentioned earlier about a friend of mine who had married an African man who was quite dark. She recently told me that her sons had lamented the fact that they were so dark. They were fine looking young men but they still wished that they were not so dark.

I realize that many Blacks do not feel this way. But, you asked the question so there is the answer.

- Reel

Old 07-11-2009, 07:01 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,576 times
Trully a sad turn of events and yeah ill agree this is the price that WE in Philippines and Asia in general are paying for, thanks to the evil white man for colonialism. But fear not, myself and so many others have seen the bigger picture and doing our darnest to turn the tide, succeeding? yes.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Generally speaking, dark skinned black men are considered very desirable -
~ButterBrownBiscuit~
And they know it lol my sophomore year the Alpha's called their line "Sexual Chocolate" cause they were all dark...yeah that was a fun step show to watch.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:47 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Not all black men prefer lighter shaded black women or white women.
I've read all of the posts and I can't find where anyone said that all black men prefer lighter shaded black men or women. Can you point that one out to me? Thank you.

- Reel

Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I don't know what you saw, but this test was conducted recently and the results had not changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
In the fifties they did the "doll test" which indicated black kids did see the white doll as prettier, etc. This was used in an argument about segregation being unequal for blacks.

I saw ABC do the test again and happily the results were mostly different. The black kids generally felt neither doll was better or worse with preference for the black doll occasionally occurring. However I believe there was a slight tendency for the black students to think the black doll/character would be "angrier" and not do as well in school. (The image of blacks as "angry" and "not studious" existing both in the media and maybe as part of urban life.)

Still in parts of Africa "whiteness" is greatly associated with wealth and influence. At times this is a matter of resentment and anger, but at other times admiration or envy. (And maybe all these things at once too) I know of missionaries in Africa sworn to poverty who are believed to be "rich" because they're white, although being American is also a factor. A nun I knew told a group of Nigerians that God the Father can be of any race or none so they can imagine him as black. To her surprise they were opposed, or possibly frightened, with that idea and insisted that God was a white man. Africans in Africa were colonized and live much poorer than African Americans so maybe that's the reason. (Although many nations in Africa are actually less crime-ridden than us. A few, like Gabon and Botswana, have seemed on the verge of reaching developed status from time to time)

Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I've read all of the posts and I can't find where anyone said that all black men prefer lighter shaded black men or women. Can you point that one out to me? Thank you.

- Reel
it was on the first page of the thread.

Quote:
I suspect that many blacks would prefer to be white. If you look at the black man, for example, he favours a lighter skinned black woman or, if he has the money, a white woman.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
I think you are very wrong on many of the points you make.

SOME black men favor a lighter skinned black women or black women with more European looking features, only because that is the "standard" of beauty being pushed around the world.

I believe many darker people of many different races don't want to be white, they simply want to be accepted as people and not shunned or denied because of the stereotypes and negative baggage all people of color, especially if they are darker skinned, have to deal with.

So by lightening their skin they hope to be viewed as less "ethnic" by whites and more attractive by others of their own race.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Hmmmm..... I wonder what the responses will be if someone posted a thread on people obsessed with tanning? White people who hate their own "natural" color, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies