Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I don't know what you saw, but this test was conducted recently and the results had not changed.
I saw ABC Late Night News. Although it seems it was originally on Good Morning America. They were dealing with kids in Norfolk, Virginia. They allowed the students the choice of "both" or "neither", which traditionally studies don't. Still 47% of the girls I guess did deem the white doll prettier. Maybe what I saw was unrepresentative.

Now Kiri Davis's study from two years ago got similar results to the one from 50 years ago. She was working with younger girls in Harlem. A problem with hers is a relatively small sample size, but she dealt with a slightly larger group than the Norfolk one.

So what I may conclude from those two is that when the girls have a preference that preference is indeed white. Also that blacks in Norfolk maybe feel better about themselves than those in NYC. (Not too surprising, Southern cities are more integrated and so forth. The Southern countryside versus the Northern countryside might be opposite)

http://abagond.wordpress.com/2009/05...ll-experiment/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
It's very odd that the young men in your "story" are concerned about being so dark. Generally speaking, dark skinned black men are considered very desirable - so I don't understand how/why they would be worried about their complexion.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Says who? And in what context? Within the black community, there is a definite preference for associating and dating blacks with a lighter complexion.
Quote:
"If you're white, you're right. If you're brown, stick around. If you're black, stay back."

It's a playground ditty many African Americans have grown up with. Yet most blacks find its message profoundly painful to discuss. But the ugliness of skin color differentiation among blacks is just the kind of tortured human experience that fearless playwright and Pulitzer Prize finalist Dael Orlandersmith relishes as material.

Play explores corrosive prejudice within black community (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/28/DDGL74I9TF1.DTL - broken link)

Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Says who? And in what context? Within the black community, there is a definite preference for associating and dating blacks with a lighter complexion.
Play explores corrosive prejudice within black community (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/28/DDGL74I9TF1.DTL - broken link)
Black women, dear. Hang around some (other than your chicken necking manager) and they'll be quick to tell you how desirable a sexy dark-skinned black man is. You can post all the studies you want saying otherwise, I'm sure I could find just as many that say the opposite.

Some women are attracted to dark men, some are attracted to lighter men, some men are attracted to brunettes, some are attracted to redheads.

Oh and I've never heard that playground ditty you're posting.

Quote:
The title of her play, "Yellowman," refers to one of several derogatory childhood labels that have been hurled at lighter-skinned blacks by darker- skinned blacks, such as "high yella," "school bus," "zebra," "redbone," and, perhaps more benign, "light" and "bright." Then there are the hurtful insults used by lighter-skinned blacks against their darker-hued brethren: "tar baby," "ink spot," "shine" and "chocolate."
The person who wrote this play is either out-of-touch with the adult black community or has serious color issues. I've been called a redbone all my life and it never hurt my feelings. And we typically stop saying tar baby around 3rd grade when your vocabulary expands

Miu,
did you even read the article that you were linking?

Quote:
Few light-skinned black males are ever leading men,
I guess Will Smith wouldn't be considered light-skinned what about Terrance Howard?

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-13-2009 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Those creams wer designed to "Tone" Black skin . Black people can have Uneven tone to their skin (Varing shades) and those creams remedied the problem,
Its an old myth that black people secretly want to be white, IMO MJ did it to make money. he got tired of the industry giving record contracts to white artist who could copy him (or at least try )
I thought it was brilliant, when you look at a publicity photo of him you don't see a man,woman,adult, child, or any discernable ethnicity associated with any part of the world, that's how you sell 800,00,000 records world wide in your life time

Old 07-13-2009, 06:58 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,580 times
It is true that most whites hate looking white, which is why they'll sit out in the sun and get skin cancer to darken there skin.

Like I said, there would be no billion dollar skin lotion and tanning industry if they didnt like there look.

People like color.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
So a part of racism is jealousy or envy? Very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
It is true that most whites hate looking white, which is why they'll sit out in the sun and get skin cancer to darken there skin.

Like I said, there would be no billion dollar skin lotion and tanning industry if they didnt like there look.

People like color.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:01 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,752 times
Micheal Jackson had lupus and vitaligo - he didn't bleach his skin (although he did carve his face up like a jack-o-latern).

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Those creams wer designed to "Tone" Black skin . Black people can have Uneven tone to their skin (Varing shades) and those creams remedied the problem,
Its an old myth that black people secretly want to be white, IMO MJ did it to make money. he got tired of the industry giving record contracts to white artist who could copy him (or at least try )
I thought it was brilliant, when you look at a publicity photo of him you don't see a man,woman,adult, child, or any discernable ethnicity associated with any part of the world, that's how you sell 800,00,000 records world wide in your life time

Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Micheal Jackson had lupus and vitaligo - he didn't bleach his skin (although he did carve his face up like a jack-o-latern).

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
really? That's the first time I've ever heard that. Either way I thought it was odd that it evened his skin tone so evenly; I don't know too many black people who are one shade all across their bodies - guess it could have been makeup though. How you doing sista girl?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,580 times
you didnt know mj had vitiligo?

tons of youtube vids where you see white spots on his face with no makeup.

he then turned the rest of his skin white when there wa little black skin left instead of regrafting black skin which is incredibly painful.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,950,511 times
Hair straighteners, nose jobs, skin lightening, and hair coloring all in the vain effort to be white. You have to wonder why they are not happy with themselves as they are. I think the fro is the way to go!!!!! Wow that rhymes. Love those big afros with the pick sticking in their hair. With a pair of tight fitting jeans, that flare out at the bottom. Sexy as it gets!!!!!!!!!! Go to a strip club, and you will loose any bit of racism you have in your blood. The human body looks sexy in any color!!!!!!! Not much into the chubby or fat look though!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies