Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,137 times

Advertisements

Why does anyone care what people choose to do with their own looks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,753 times
Default "black person is hardly ever natural unless she is mixed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Black people all have pretty much the same hair. Every black person I know use hair extensions or weave. It is hardly ever natural unless she is mixed.
Reconmark made it clear that Blacks have different types of hair.

I do agree though that it's still not easy to find a black woman who wears her hear natural. By that I mean without (chemical) straighteners or perms or extensions or weave.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Reconmark made it clear that Blacks have different types of hair.

I do agree though that it's still not easy to find a black woman who wears her hear natural. By that I mean without (chemical) straighteners or perms or extensions or weave.
I have just been debating about this for the past few weeks. There is a thread in the fashion and beauty section of this forum entitle "African American Women & the Natural Hair Movement". I wear my hair natural......I have locs (dreadlocks) and have had them for 6 months.

I woke up out of the "Slave Mind" over a year ago and finally understood that the choice to put relaxers in our hair are rooted in slavery. We never thought anything was wrong with our hair, skin color or any other of our features when we lived in Africa.......it was not until we stepped foot off the slave ship and was brainwashed into believing this nonsense.

Physical slavery was ended for African Americans.......but many of us are still suffering with the slave mind.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I have just been debating about this for the past few weeks. There is a thread in the fashion and beauty section of this forum entitle "African American Women & the Natural Hair Movement". I wear my hair natural......I have locs (dreadlocks) and have had them for 6 months.

I woke up out of the "Slave Mind" over a year ago and finally understood that the choice to put relaxers in our hair are rooted in slavery. We never thought anything was wrong with our hair, skin color or any other of our features when we lived in Africa.......it was not until we stepped foot off the slave ship and was brainwashed into believing this nonsense.

Physical slavery was ended for African Americans.......but many of us are still suffering with the slave mind.
You are truely right about that slave mind.

While my wife has her hair relaxed, we used to get into it because I would not allow her to perm my daughters hair.

I stll see some women with afros, naturals, and hair cut short and I consider it very beautiful.

But I was born in the 60's and did attend a Pan-African church.

Black along with all other colors, is beautiful!!

Old 07-20-2009, 04:32 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
You are truely right about that slave mind.

While my wife has her hair relaxed, we used to get into it because I would not allow her to perm my daughters hair.

I stll see some women with afros, naturals, and hair cut short and I consider it very beautiful.

But I was born in the 60's and did attend a Pan-African church.

Black along with all other colors, is beautiful!!
Amen to you!! How I wish our black women could see how beautiful they are and stop this nonsense with the relaxers. Glad I woke up and realized the torture I was putting my body through. I do not have a daughter but if God ever blesses me with one her hair will never be permed.

YouTube - MALCOLM X: Who Taught You To Hate Yourself?

YouTube - Locks Are Sexy

YouTube - Locked Beauty: La Sonya Gunter

YouTube - Locks Are Art

Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Black people all have pretty much the same hair. Every black person I know use hair extensions or weave. It is hardly ever natural unless she is mixed.
LMAO you must only know 2 black people or are basing that on what you see on television. I prefer braids but my natural hair has been past my shoulders - in fact in my profile picture right now THAT is my hair (hair that is growing out of my scalp, not hair that I purchased). My mom has really soft hair so she wears hers natural and usually short. My sister's hair is naturally wavy and when she wets it it looks like has a jerri curl My sister-in-laws hair is so coarse it looks like she always has a relaxer but she rarely gets one...I could go on and on and on but I'm sure you get my drift.

Just because YOU can't tell the difference in our hair doesn't mean it's "pretty much the same". Please change your statement "to the black people I know all pretty much have the same hair"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Why does getting your hair relaxed the "slave mind"? I get my hair relaxed because it's more convenient to style when it's straightened.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Why does getting your hair relaxed the "slave mind"? I get my hair relaxed because it's more convenient to style when it's straightened.
Yes exactly. I took Psychology of the Black Experience this past semester and our professor who is natural, tried and tried to say that those of us who had relaxed hair were ashamed and had the slave mindset.

For me, that's not the case. I explained to her in an essay that I am proud to be a black woman with many other races mixed in. My hair texture is not managable without being relaxed...and I made the choice to relax my hair when I got old enough.

While in college in Philly the "in" thing to do was to be natural so I tried it for a long time, but times got tuff and I no longer could get my hair done every 2 weeks.

Its about manage and what I feel looks better on me. I do not knock anyone for going natural...I think its beautiful, yet its not for me, and Im not ashamed of anything.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
glass_of_merlot

Black people all have pretty much the same hair.

Surely you are not serious or you are very naive about black hair.

I have four daughters all of them have very different textures, lengths, and growth patterns.

They all require different treatments for their hair and none of them have any fake hair or extentions.

Not to mention the two or three hair textures that are on my head alone.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Yes exactly. I took Psychology of the Black Experience this past semester and our professor who is natural, tried and tried to say that those of us who had relaxed hair were ashamed and had the slave mindset.
That's the product of over education.

I ran into a lot of those "afro-centric" women in college. Yes, aren't you so proud of your African roots with your dreads and afros while driving a Camry and carrying a LV bag. If you really wanted to connect with your roots you'd walk and carry your books in a basket on your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Not to mention the two or three hair textures that are on my head alone.
LOL you too?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
That's the product of over education.

I ran into a lot of those "afro-centric" women in college. Yes, aren't you so proud of your African roots with your dreads and afros while driving a Camry and carrying a LV bag. If you really wanted to connect with your roots you'd walk and carry your books in a basket on your head

LOL you too?

Good point.

I dont really see why people care what someone else chooses to do with their own look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies