Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 03:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,752 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong because we all know that MJ was "off." However, he also had vitaligo and I think the combination of a disfiguring skin condition and the way he was raised, made him hate himself. I don't think it was necessarily that he didn't want to be black or that he hated black people - it just seemed like he didn't want to exist, so he turned himself into a pseudo-white woman.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Loved his music when he was being his REAL SELF.......after I saw how idiotic he was with the bleaching of the skin and nose jobs that was it for me and Michael Jackson!

He is a very famous example of the slave mind! Musical genius, icon? Yes, example for black children to follow hell no. I can only imagine what would happen in the black community if we had Michael Jacksons money......we would really lose the rest of the damn mind that we have left and go to the extremes that he went to. I mean he even took his self hatred to the level of LYING about fathering children that are obviously white!!

He allowed himself to become a public SPECTACLE for all to see.........he really lost his damn mind. This is why in the last few years his record sales were not good.

How the hell do you go from this to this damn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 03:09 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I know you're not asking me, but here is my take on what NYB is saying -

She isn't referring to traditional African practices (lip plates, scarification, etc.). She is simply questioning why the overwhelming majority of black women (around 75%) relax their hair and whether there is a social/cultural component. Is it really about having hair that is easier to maintain or is it in an effort to more socially acceptable? I don't personally believe it is about trying to "be white" but that it is a reflection of how we've internalized the attitudes that we think others have about our appearance.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Can I get an Amen!! We have been so socialized (brainwashed) to believe that our choices regarding what we do with our bodies are just a style. No one ever stops to THINK about where these thoughts came from......even worse no one stops to think about what the problem is with us that we seek to IMITATE those that brought us here in shackles!! If anything we should want to be different.........it is bad enough that we have been stripped of our African language, religion, homeland etc., why must we embrace someone elses beauty standard and then try and sweep it under the rug and say........"I just relax my hair for convenience"!

This is that same old..........house negro vs. field negro mentality! House negro always wanted to be close to the master, dress like the master, eat what the master ate!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:10 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
[quote=Thomas R.;9705181]
Quote:
Keyes is odd, but somehow I feel like this is unfair. Granted that might be my conservatism, but Keyes strikes me as really quite "black" in outlook. It's just in the way of an old-school ultra-religious guy.
I agree totally. Keyes is a black religious ultraconservative; now whether he has a dislike of his own African looks or dark skin color, like Clarence Thomas, who is also an old-style black ultraconservative, is a matter of speculation.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Reconmark made it clear that Blacks have different types of hair.

I do agree though that it's still not easy to find a black woman who wears her hear natural. By that I mean without (chemical) straighteners or perms or extensions or weave.

A lot of this has to do with being accepted in corporate America. My wife, for example, is a high-powered businesswoman. She wants to wear her hair naturally in braids or locks, but she would never be accepted in her milieu if she were to do that. There are actually corporate policies in some places that prohibit black women from wearing certain natural styles.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I guess I am too, my natural hair isn't kinky (unless I let it air dry) it's just really really thick and it takes an excessive amount of time to manage without a relaxer - hell even when my hair is relaxed I have a hard time getting people to braid my hair because of it's thickness and length.

But oh well it's not the first time in my life that I haven't been able to relate to the black experience. Darn my mixed ancestory

Yes hermanita, you can't help that you're not pure.

I forgive you just the same.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
[quote=Sunil's Dad;9896028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

I agree totally. Keyes is a black religious ultraconservative; now whether he has a dislike of his own African looks or dark skin color, like Clarence Thomas, who is also an old-style black ultraconservative, is a matter of speculation.

link.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Sunil's Dad - Do you think your wife would be able to wear a twist out or something similar to the style in this video?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

YouTube - Natural Haircare: Twist Out and Products Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
A lot of this has to do with being accepted in corporate America. My wife, for example, is a high-powered businesswoman. She wants to wear her hair naturally in braids or locks, but she would never be accepted in her milieu if she were to do that. There are actually corporate policies in some places that prohibit black women from wearing certain natural styles.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post

link.
I have read four biographies of Thomas (one by Thomas himself); the three critical biographies delved into his personal history, how he was taunted by his peers because of his dark skin and African features, and how he hates light-skinned blacks for this reason and several others.

Supreme Discomfort: The Divided Soul of Clarence Thomas by Kevin Merida and Michael Fletcher

Judging Thomas: The Life and Times of Clarence Thomas by Ken Foskett

Clarence Thomas: A Biography by Andrew Peyton Thomas

My Grandfather's Son: A Memoir by Clarence Thomas

Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Sunil's Dad - Do you think your wife would be able to wear a twist out or something similar to the style in this video?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

YouTube - Natural Haircare: Twist Out and Products Used

No she wouldn't.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM

^ Did you watch the video of the finished style?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies