Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
This idea about straightening our hair was not created by us (African Americans) but was put in our minds by the white man/woman during slavery......then that is the slave mind......I.I can call it whatever I want to call it, that is why America is America.....we can say what we want to say!

Having this debate back and forth with me does not change the fact that we are in the slave mind in the black community....don't hate the messenger!!
Well, the idea of riding in cars was not in our minds either until someone created them.

No, you are in the slave mind. You don't speak for me. You can say whatever you want about your state of mind. You cannot speak for mine.

Maybe I don't understand this concept because, like a large chunk of black people in America, my ancestors were also slave owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:05 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Well, the idea of riding in cars was not in our minds either until someone created them.

No, you are in the slave mind. You don't speak for me. You can say whatever you want about your state of mind. You cannot speak for mine.

Maybe I don't understand this concept because, like a large chunk of black people in America, my ancestors were also slave owners.
Comparing riding in cars with what black women decide to do with their hair is idiotic!! My body is my temple......a car is just a material object. When that car becomes too old it is replaced with another one....once our bodies are destroyed we can not just go out and replace it!

Just like I said the slave mind!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:09 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Why does anyone care what people choose to do with their own looks?
Charlotte, i'm trying to figure that one out myself.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Comparing riding in cars with what black women decide to do with their hair is idiotic!! My body is my temple......a car is just a material object. When that car becomes too old it is replaced with another one....once our bodies are destroyed we can not just go out and replace it!

Just like I said the slave mind!
Saying that black people are under the slave mind because of how they choose to style their hair is idiotic. And I don't know if you didn't get the memo but hair grows back - it's not an internal organ that can't be replaced. There are lots of women who had relaxed hair that now have natural hair.

Can you share some of your pictures from your last trip to Africa; I'd like to see some of the hair styles.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:17 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,542,179 times
Most people don't like their natural looks. That's why we have hair dye, perms, straighteners, scissors, makeups, botox, breast implants, lip enhancement (gross), colored contacts, tattoos, elevator shoes, diets, etc.

The grass is always greenier on the other side and I don't think blacks or anyone else has the lead in self-loathing!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,670 times
ButterBrownBiscuit
befriend Join Date: Jul 2008
777 posts, read 161,452 times

Wow, that is really an outrageous and uninformed comment.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones
That's the product of over education.

I ran into a lot of those "afro-centric" women in college. Yes, aren't you so proud of your African roots with your dreads and afros while driving a Camry and carrying a LV bag. If you really wanted to connect with your roots you'd walk and carry your books in a basket on your head

LOL you too?

Wow just wow!!

"over educated" when exactly do we get to that point?

All Africans carry materials on their head?...really.
Maybe a little MORE education is in order for some folk.

Lord help us.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
ButterBrownBiscuit
befriend Join Date: Jul 2008
777 posts, read 161,452 times

Wow, that is really an outrageous and uninformed comment.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones
That's the product of over education.

I ran into a lot of those "afro-centric" women in college. Yes, aren't you so proud of your African roots with your dreads and afros while driving a Camry and carrying a LV bag. If you really wanted to connect with your roots you'd walk and carry your books in a basket on your head

LOL you too?

Wow just wow!!

"over educated" when exactly do we get to that point?

All Africans carry materials on their head?...really.
Maybe a little MORE education is in order for some folk.

Lord help us.
I was being extreme because her comment was extreme and offensive; if you don't understand sarcasm then that's your problem; not mine.

She claims to know the "truth" behind the reason that black women relax their hair. I don't dislike my natural hair, nor do I think anything is wrong with it, nor do I suffer from deep self-loathing - anyone who has read my posts knows I think I'm kind of a big deal.

I choose to relax my hair because it makes the day-to-day upkeep easier. Now I don't know what lines she's reading in between and what voices she's hearing that tells her otherwise but unless she can read minds her comments don't apply to anyone but herself.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,663 times
My belief has always been that Blacks both here and across the disporia have a collective obsession with "Whiteness" and it's manifestations physical, social, cultural, economic, etc. Weither it's the black person who only dates whites, or the Black person who pathologically hates whites, or the constant obssesion w/ wanting to immigrate/intergrate into white societies, there is definetly some small truth to this psychological thesis.

I feel alot of the inner discontentment African-Americans continually feel is that they still hold themselves up to a white measuring stick, and obsses over how whites precieve them. I don't understand why that is, but it is there.

Do most Black people seem this way? Hardly. Some of the most successful and content Black people I've met are self-confident in themselves and their orgins, something alot of people need to take a page from.

</Puts on that flamesuit again>

Old 07-21-2009, 01:33 PM

132 posts, read 224,201 times
Quote:
You can tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself (I know the truth).........that is your body. All of this about the work involved with flat ironing to get natural hair straight again after washing it...........that is not a necessity, natural hair can be washed, conditioned and left alone. All natural hair needs is to be clean, conditioned and after that it is air dryed on its own........that thought that if you wear it natural then you have to flat iron it to straighten it out is the slave mind and defeats the whole purpose of wearing it natural in the first place! This is my opinion......just like you are on here expressing your opinion. [/font]
Quote:
Therefore I feel that we conduct ourselves this way because of the slave mind..........and I stand by that belief!
Here's a question for you. You think natural hair is so beautiful and should be left alone, do you shave? Last time i checked people in Africa don’t. Which in turn if you do then i guess you have a "slave mind" as well because thats your natural beauty. Your taking away from that. Stop being so damn ignorant and needing to worry about others and how they look or take care of themselves. Just because a black women wants to relax their hair doesn’t mean they are trying to be white or taking away from their heritage.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
Well gee! I stopped relaxing my hair back in '99. I wasn't thinking about freeing my mind from "slavery" when I went natural. I just wanted to try something different and give my hair a rest from all of the relaxers. Fast forward ten years, I'm still natural but it's simply my preference. I don't keep my hair natural because of some "enlightenment" I experienced in the last ten years, I just think I look better with natural hair. While some black women may relax their hair from self-hate, I believe that most do it because that's what works for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies