Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:01 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
Show me anywhere in the Bible where Jesus said 'Get your government to feed the poor.'

No, He said YOU feed the poor.

If you want to practice Christian charity, the only Biblical way to do it is with your own money, not forcing someone else to do it with theirs.

Trying to control what others do with their money has a Biblical word: Covetousness.

Christian charity is not a public function, but a private one.

Matt 6:1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

So the collective "YOU" would exclude a government of the people, for the people, and by the people? Hummmmm.

You know that part about when you give to the needy do not let your left hadn know what your right hand is doing.........have you ever thought that might mean that when you GIVE to the poor you don't have STRINGS ATTACHED? MAYBE, just MAYBE, giving to the poor is really intended to be a blessing for YOU and YOUR SOCIETY and not simply just for the receipient.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
The other problem that is blatantly obvious with the OP is that conservatives don't really oppose the idea of welfare. They see that welfare has become a massive magnet for the LAZY who are able bodied and able minded, yet would rather suck on the government tit than to get up and be productive citizens. The majority of conservatives agree that welfare is okay for those that actually need it. The Dems need welfare for the lazy because it buys votes. The lazy will vote for the Dems because they are scared that the Reps might actually put something in place that would reduce the number of LAZY people who are on welfare because they choose to be as opposed to people who really are down on their luck and genuinely need a helping hand to sustain the basic necessities of life.

If the welfare system was not so heavily abused, I would not oppose it, even though I believe private donations to non-government charities is a much better way to handle helping those in need.
You got any numbers on the assertions you make above?

How do you know which people on welfare are LAZY and which ones are genuinely needy? Whereds you get the numbers to support those beliefs?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
So the collective "YOU" would exclude a government of the people, for the people, and by the people? Hummmmm.

You know that part about when you give to the needy do not let your left hadn know what your right hand is doing.........have you ever thought that might mean that when you GIVE to the poor you don't have STRINGS ATTACHED? MAYBE, just MAYBE, giving to the poor is really intended to be a blessing for YOU and YOUR SOCIETY and not simply just for the receipient.........

It also says if a man doesn't work he shouldn't eat .

Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
As a liberal, how do you feel about governmental bureaucrats who are "serving the poor" having high salaries, lifetime pensions and other lavish benefits that most don't enjoy?
Can you cite some of those "high salaries" made by low-level bureaucrats who actually work distributing those services to the poor??

Do you actually have any data to back up your claim of HIGH SALARIES, LIFETIME PENSIONS, and "OTHER LAVISH BENEFITS" received by the low level bureaucrats who work for state and fed government "processing" such help to the poor and needy?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Can you cite some of those "high salaries" made by low-level bureaucrats who actually work distributing those services to the poor??

Do you actually have any data to back up your claim of HIGH SALARIES, LIFETIME PENSIONS, and "OTHER LAVISH BENEFITS" received by the low level bureaucrats who work for state and fed government "processing" such help to the poor and needy?
As an example, I used to work as a clerical employee (low-end employee) and my pay was much higher than what the private industry would have paid me and I received an excellent benefit package which included 13 paid holidays, 8 hours of sick leave per month, health/dental benefits which only requires 10 dollar co-payments, lifetime pension upon retirement, $50 dollars towards my public transit pass as well as other perks that are not usually available in the private sector.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:18 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,755,587 times
Austin13

Quote:

How do you know which people on welfare are LAZY and which ones are genuinely needy? Whereds you get the numbers to support those beliefs?
Do you have numbers to the contrary? Most of the people I have known who have received welfare have been extremely lazy. Beyond a physical or mental handicap, there is NO reason why someone cannot fend for themselves in this country. Fending for yourself INCLUDES making wise choices.

Having 12 kids as a single mother with a $7 hr job is not a wise choice.

Refusing to save for retirement and then turning 65 with no savings is not a wise choice.

Receiving government welfare and then watching American Idol instead of reading to learn something new and marketable is not a wise choice.

My hard earned dollars should not go to support people who have made poor decisions.

No where in the Bible is it suggested that they should.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 AM

439 posts, read 443,286 times
Quote:
Lincoln would spin in his grave to hear you twist his words that way.

No, the charity that Christ commands is not directed toward the government.

You will search the New Testament in vain for such a concept.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:45 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Matthew 22:21 puts it rather plainly: "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

In other words first you pay your taxes, however high they are, and on top of that you pay 10% of your pre-tax earnings in tithes.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:

He does a good job at mocking the poor by labelling them all as LAZY.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:56 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He does a good job at mocking the poor by labelling them all as LAZY.

Laziness is a conservative trait.

It is a conservative method of conservation of energy.

lazy |ˈlāzē|
adjective ( lazier , laziest )
1 unwilling to work or use energy : I'm very lazy by nature | he was too lazy to cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies