Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I believe in freedom!
I believe in freedom as well but even freedom needs some boundaries to protect the public's interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Yes ... two people making love and potentially producing new life is "behaving like horny animals on display".

Next time you see soldiers running around with guns on the news or a bloody body in a street, I want you to think of your comment.

You obviously accept a day (today) when folks lose all sense of decency and behave like wild animals on display by killing one another.

What you define as "decency" baffles me.
I do not agree with war and hate the fact that we are currently in conflict but that's for another discussion. I never stated that "two people making love and potentially producing new life is 'behaving like horny animals on display', I was referring to public sex. Sex is a beautiful act between two adults that should be kept between them and not shared with the rest of the world. The public should not be viewing you and your loved ones making out in the open like animals. If you cannot help yourself, please do us all a favor and get a room.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I think it's more that you ONLY see deviancy when you see gay people. The fundraisers for HIV and cancer research by gay organizations that raise millions of dollars every year are ignored by those who only want to point to the gay pride events and condemn homosexuals.
I'm happy that there are gays who give their time and money towards causes such as AIDS research but the gay parades give you guys a bad reputation with the majority of Americans.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
the gay parades give you guys a bad reputation with the majority of Americans.
I have no idea if it's a "majority of Americans". Maybe you have data to back that up. I will say that I and a lot of gay people I know aren't all that crazy about the images that the parades present. But, whenever there's a discussion about gay topics on this forum, there's always someone who starts complaining about the parades, even when they have nothing to do with the topic. On one hand, that may be a reason to scale down the events, but on the other hand, I have a feeling that it won't matter what gays do, there will be those who will always find a reason to complain about homosexuals.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I do not agree with war and hate the fact that we are currently in conflict but that's for another discussion. I never stated that "two people making love and potentially producing new life is 'behaving like horny animals on display', I was referring to public sex. Sex is a beautiful act between two adults that should be kept between them and not shared with the rest of the world. The public should not be viewing you and your loved ones making out in the open like animals. If you cannot help yourself, please do us all a favor and get a room.
But, these gay men literally pecked each other on the lips, they were not *behaving like horny animals on display*. Also, I love to hug and kiss my husband, and guess what, our children see two people madly in love (and married) who still hold hands and hug in public. That is a rarity these days! I mostly see a bunch of miserable, married people who act like they don't even like each other, let alone have sex with one another, and I think THAT is a very sad existence!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:21 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,698,959 times
Please explain that again? That made no sense!! They should not do this in public. Let the country vote on it, lets see the outcome!!! Common sense says the majority will vote against the gays 100% of the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't think its any different then a man and a woman kissing but I bet you knew that already.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Please explain that again? That made no sense!! They should not do this in public. Let the country vote on it, lets see the outcome!!! Common sense says the majority will vote against the gays 100% of the time!
Let the country vote on whether or not gays can kiss in public? Let's see, what's next... Hey - maybe everyone should vote on whether or not gays should be allowed to eat at "family restaurants". Would you be in favor of voting on that?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:26 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,698,959 times
Nah they have to eat! Have to keep the economy going! Gay marriage -- let us vote!!!

Quote:
Let the country vote on whether or not gays can kiss in public? Let's see, what's next... Hey - maybe everyone should vote on whether or not gays should be allowed to eat at "family restaurants". Would you be in favor of voting on that?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Nah they have to eat! Have to keep the economy going! Gay marriage -- let us vote!!!
Actually, gay marriage is good for the economy.

"the Congressional Budget Office has concluded that if all fifty states and the federal government extended the rights and obligations of marriage to same-sex couples, the federal government would benefit by nearly $1 billion each year."

Study: Gay Marriage Good For Economy - CBS News

Gay Marriage is Good for the Economy | Business Pundit

Old 07-19-2009, 11:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
As long as these people were protesting peacefully, and not doing so on the church's private property, there is not a damn thing that needs to be done about it. I mean yeah, when I see two men kissing, it kind of weirds me out. But that is because I am a str8 man. And strangely enough, it's not so weird feeling to see two women doing the same thing. I wonder if it's like that for str8 women? Do they think it's gross to see two women kissing, but they find two men kissing OK?

Either way, it's a free country and if this is the medium these people chose to use in their demonstration then good for them. As long as they kept it peaceful and did not expose themselves or anything, I have no problem with it and neither should the Mormons. Because I am pretty sure that even though their "Holy" book says homosexuality is bad, it also says it is not for them to judge others. That is supposed to be in God's hands. So aren't they just as guilty of breaking the rules as those they have chosen to condemn? Just asking.
I'm a straight woman and it doesn't weird me out to see two men kissing, two women kissing or a man and a woman kissing. Its all the same to me.

I have heard and read some of the very sad stories coming from the Mormon church, the things they have tried to do to "correct" someone who feels they are gay and its just barbaric. I understand their need to protest but I do agree that it should NOT be on the churches private property.

I will never understand why it bothers some so much what other people do. Its not like they are trying to make anyone join their ranks. Live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies