Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Many facilities will NOT place a prisoner on a transplant list, in fact this happened to the man who was convicted of shooting Martin Luther was refused a liver transplant.

Its also the case that in some cases people who are not over 65 can qaulify for medicare in order to pay for the transplant. My sister in law was on dialysis and qaulified and it paid for her kidney transplant and the harvesting of the donor kidney from her son.

Medicare isn't JUST for the people over 65.
After I read this, I took my name off the organ donor thing when I renewed my license. I don't want anything going to only the rich or to a murderer in prison. I would rather give it to the maggots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
After I read this, I took my name off the organ donor thing when I renewed my license. I don't want anything going to only the rich or to a murderer in prison. I would rather give it to the maggots.
Personally I would write up a document with your health directive saying you want to donate your organs as long as they don't go to _____ enter what criteria. I have never heard of prisoners being given organs until that post was made. I don't think its the norm and certainly if you placed that information on your health directive they could NOT use your organs in that manner. There are too many people out there waiting for organs to let one story change your mind about organ donation.

I am an organ donor and a registered bone marrow donor, the latter something I can donate while I am alive. I believe in the program being sound and necessary.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Very interesting point. Because posters point out problems with the US health system doesn't mean it needs to be torn apart and rebuilt. As a matter of fact people are pretty satisfied with what they have.

Majority of Americans Satisfied With Their Healthcare Plans
There are people out there who like to stick needles in their private parts when they have sex..they are happy with that too..but doesn't make it right.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
There are people out there who like to stick needles in their private parts when they have sex..they are happy with that too..but doesn't make it right.
I don't think thats about right and wrong as much as it is about being mentally impaired.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Ummm that is kind of silly. Who are you to tell the majority of people are satisfied with what they have that they are wrong?

And to think people view lefties as elitists.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't think thats about right and wrong as much as it is about being mentally impaired.
Absolutely...lol.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
.....as if liver transplants aren't denied here too, for reasons that don't involve alcoholism.
Of course they are. Hence that I not only mentioned that liver transplants are very hard to come by in my previous post, but I also cited evidence showing that the UK has a much better health care system than we do and that the poster shouldn't be looking for UHC horror stories to scare people away from something that we desperately need in the US: health care reform.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ummm that is kind of silly. Who are you to tell the majority of people are satisfied with what they have that they are wrong?
Who is this majority who are satisfied with the current health system in America. The nearly 50 million without cover or nearly every politician who has said in the press how the American Health System must change. I really haven't seen many who have said that they are sattisfied with the current health system in America......Quite the opposite...most people on either side of the political spectrum agree the health system in America needs changing.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is not an infinite supply of livers to transplant. In fact, they are very limited in number.
Yes I know. I acknowledged this in my previous post.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Who is this majority who are satisfied with the current health system in America. The nearly 50 million without cover or nearly every politician who has said in the press how the American Health System must change. I really haven't seen many who have said that they are sattisfied with the current health system in America......Quite the opposite...most people on either side of the political spectrum agree the health system in America needs changing.
Does anyone on this forum read other posts, it is clear they don't click on links. One can be satisfied with their healthcare and think things could be improved at the same time, they are not mutually exclusive. Read the link.

Majority of Americans Satisfied With Their Healthcare Plans

"One reason this inconsistency may exist is that Americans are quite happy with their health plans. Eighty-three percent of Americans rate the quality of healthcare they receive as excellent or good, while only 15% say theirs is poor. Slightly less, 70%, say their healthcare coverage is excellent or good. These ratings have been fairly stable in the seven years in which Gallup's Healthcare survey has been conducted."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies