Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 AM

714 posts, read 1,539,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
The President was answering a specific question on the issue. What do you wish him to have done? The reporter noted the incident and asked a two-part question. The first portion of her question was, “What does this incident say to you…”

1.He indicated that he didn’t know all the facts so he could not determine if this was a race issue.
2.He said that any of us would have been angry.
3.He stated that the police “acted stupidly” *by arresting him after he had provided identification and proven that he was in his own home.* (I admit, “unwisely” would have been a more tactful choice of wording than “stupidly,” but really now, what is the difference? Does it really matter? It’s the truth. It was wrong for the police to arrest him at that point, which is why the charges were dropped. He hadn’t committed a crime.
4.Addressing the second part of the question, “…what does it say about race relations in America?” President Obama responded, “What we know *separate and apart from this incident* is that there is a long history in this country of African Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately…That is a sign – an example – of how race remains a factor in this society. That doesn’t lessen the incredible progress that has been made; I am standing here as testimony to the progress that’s been made. And yet, the fact of the matter is that this still haunts us. And *even when there are honest misunderstandings,* the fact that blacks and Hispanics are picked up more frequently – and often times for no cause – can add suspicion, *even when there is good cause.*”

Honestly, now – an apology from the President is not in order; nor is your supposed “embarrassment.” He clearly pointed out that it was an “honest misunderstanding…” and blamed the appearance of racist profiling on other incidents where racial profiling had actually occurred, in essence saying that it was probably not the case in this situation. He even commended the officers for having answered the call, as well as their entering the home. He only criticized their having arrested the man after knowing he had not committed a crime.
Have you even read the police report? Gates was acting crazy. He deserved what he got.

Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Police Report - July 23, 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Obama felt that he had to support his buddy even without knowing the facts. Had Obama said that both parties acted wrongly or whatever verb he wanted to use, this would have been a non-issue.

We all know how important it is to have friends in high places. We all know that politicians will take care of their buddies.

Why would Gates say "you don't know who your messing with". Heck, If I was a personal friend of the POTUS, I would probably feel pretty good knowing that.

But on the other hand, you can look at it that Gates has embarrassed the President.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
70 posts, read 74,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisNY View Post
If he did not know all the facts, how could he call the cops stupid? this make sno sense even with this spin :-)
Careful... He didn't "call the cops 'stupid.'" What he stated was, "*My understanding is* that Professor Gates then shows his ID to show that this is his house. And at that point he gets arrested for disorderly conduct - charges which are later dropped. Now, *I don't know - not having been there and not seeing all the facts - what role race played in that.* But I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us what have been angry. Number two, the Cambridge police *acted* stupidly in arresting somebody after they had already proven they were in their own home..."

Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I've heard all sides including Gates, i still do not see this as a racial issue with the officer, however i do believe he overreacted by arresting Gates. Gates however acted inapproriately, but don't see him as a racists either, but as an angry individual. What i'm offended by is that this man is a black scholar of african american history acting in this manner, he acted in a way that we always tell our young black men not too behave when confronted by a police officer.
I've had several heated conversations with friends that feel that i'm completely wrong and should know better. Well i do and the way Gates behaved is the exact same way that i tell my children not to behave.

The officer should have ignored Gates and just left the property without arrest, thats where he was wrong.
The reason police arrest people for publicly treating the police with abusive and aggravated harassment is because they cannot afford to allow open hostility towards the police in public. They cannot allow it to get to the point where people will think it is routine and proper to verbally assault and harass the police over a traffic ticket, and then they start to lose control.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM

127 posts, read 282,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
Cops were stupid for arresting "his" friend?

Hopefully that is not what he meant.
He was very clear in what he said at that time, and at later encounters wit the press. The cops were stupid because they have arrested a black guy. He made it a black and white issue; instead of being our impartial president he is being a "black guy."

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Careful... He didn't "call the cops 'stupid.'" What he stated was, "*My understanding is* that Professor Gates then shows his ID to show that this is his house. And at that point he gets arrested for disorderly conduct - charges which are later dropped. Now, *I don't know - not having been there and not seeing all the facts - what role race played in that.* But I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us what have been angry. Number two, the Cambridge police *acted* stupidly in arresting somebody after they had already proven they were in their own home..."
And if 0bama were to have said the actions by the police were "racist" you think that would not be calling them racists? Stop and think this line of thought thru, before you look and sound silly.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I've heard all sides including Gates, i still do not see this as a racial issue with the officer, however i do believe he overreacted by arresting Gates. Gates however acted inapproriately, but don't see him as a racists either, but as an angry individual. What i'm offended by is that this man is a black scholar of african american history acting in this manner, he acted in a way that we always tell our young black men not too behave when confronted by a police officer.
I've had several heated conversations with friends that feel that i'm completely wrong and should know better. Well i do and the way Gates behaved is the exact same way that i tell my children not to behave.

The officer should have ignored Gates and just left the property without arrest, thats where he was wrong.
Wont let me rep you but I agree.

I've stated yesterday that I thought they both could have handled it differently.
I agree the officer probably could have let it slide but I dont think race had anything to do with his decision to cuff Gates. He probably should have let it slide but he had what he needed as far as Disorderly Conduct and wanted to be a pain in the ass of Gates as much as Gates was being a pain in the ass for him.

Like I said...a pretty F'd up situation all the way around but it all started getting out of control when Gates came out like a firecraker throwing out accusations.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
He called the cops stupid, nothing less nothing more. "the Cambridge police acted stupidly." (c) Obama

Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
70 posts, read 74,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyl1979 View Post
Have you even read the police report? Gates was acting crazy. He deserved what he got.

Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Police Report - July 23, 2009

Since when is making a "your momma" comment an indication of insanity? When is it even threatening? And if he acted so "crazy" that the cops had just cause to arrest him, why did they drop the charges? I think people are grasping a straws here. Someone else mention "spin." Who's doing the spinning? The same person who cried "spin" accused the President of "calling the cops 'stupid.'"

Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And if 0bama were to have said the actions by the police were "racist" you think that would not be calling them racists? Stop and think this line of thought thru, before you look and sound silly.
What's with zerobama btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies