Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 AM

127 posts, read 282,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
Since when is making a "your momma" comment an indication of insanity? When is it even threatening? And if he acted so "crazy" that the cops had just cause to arrest him, why did they drop the charges? I think people are grasping a straws here. Someone else mention "spin." Who's doing the spinning? The same person who cried "spin" accused the President of "calling the cops 'stupid.'"
When cops ask one to show ID one does not say something like" IS it because I am black and you are white???" He was acting insaying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 AM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
70 posts, read 74,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
They cannot allow it to get to the point where people will think it is routine and proper to verbally assault and harass the police over a traffic ticket, and then they start to lose control.
The law doesn't allow for making examples of people for the sake of policing attitudes.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The reason police arrest people for publicly treating the police with abusive and aggravated harassment is because they cannot afford to allow open hostility towards the police in public. They cannot allow it to get to the point where people will think it is routine and proper to verbally assault and harass the police over a traffic ticket, and then they start to lose control.

i understand the reason for the disorderly conduct arrests, however the officer should know how to deal with a situation where the other party is baiting or in a hostile mood. I'm sure in his 10 year career he has dealt with that before.
If Gates steped off his porch, yes arrest him for continuing to follow and cause a scene, but he did not step off the porch. They both were wrong, totally wrong and again, i have a Bigger issue with the way Gates conducted himself. That is something i would expect from Sharpton, not from a Scholar, highly regarded professor of African American History.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisNY View Post
When cops ask one to show ID one does not say something like" IS it because I am black and you are white???" He was acting insaying.
The First Amendment says he can ask whatever he likes. He didn't commit a crime.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The law doesn't allow for making examples of people for the sake of policing attitudes.
Even if that was an attitude issue it was not a black and white issue that Obama made it into.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The First Amendment says he can ask whatever he likes. He didn't commit a crime.
As i have already mentioned: EVEN IF i agreed with you, that was not black and white issues until OBAMA made it one.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:02 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Even if that was an attitude issue it was not a black and white issue that Obama made it into.

The President did not make it one, the Media had already took it there. Gates and the Media already went there. There are several things the President can rightful be accused of, but making this a race issue is not one of them. Maybe you should go back and listen to what he actually said. Grant it, he walked into the discussion, but did not start it.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
That is false. Obama clearly indicated that he did not think race played a role in this incident, but rather people mistakenly thought so because of prior racial profiling by police. Have you actually listened to his comments?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 AM

10,031 posts, read 15,679,858 times
Quote:
Since when is making a "your momma" comment an indication of insanity? When is it even threatening? '"
The Cambridge police have audio tapes of Gates ranting. They will eventually be released. He sounded like a maniac, per the cops.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The President did not make it one, the Media had already when there. Gates and the Media already went there. There are several things the President can rightful be accused of, but making this a race issue is not one of them. Maybe you should go back and listen to what he actually said. Grant it, he walked into the discussion, but did not start it.
I have listened well what he said. HE made this into a race issue. I have no doubt in my mind that the cops would have acted the same way if that professor was white. The cop was investigating a possible break in and the man (black white or purple) is giving him an attitude and does not want to cooperate. No racism there until Obama got involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies