Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The Conservative ideology goes against everything I believe in. I hate organized religion with a passion I'm a Catholic so I don't -- not a cradle Catholic but a convert. By the way, "hate" is a very destructive emotion., who am I to stop someone from having an abortion, it is none of my business anyways I believe in the sanctity of life and did so even before I became a Catholic. Aren't you glad your mother didn't abort you, or did she?.

I hate this whole "pro-corporation" ideology, in my experience, corporations are some of the most screwed up, most evil institutions I can think of and they will always $crew you over, no matter how good of a worker you are. There's that hate again. Don't know about the "always ********* over" part but will be the first to agree that corporate America long ago lost its soul to the almighty dollar..

This whole talk about "family values" gets on my nerves, most of these Republicans that are always talking about God, Jesus and similar type of BS To many of us our religion is simply a matter of faith which is very real to us. As for "family values," I have five children, two stepchildren and nine grandchildren.; Ya might say I'm just a wee bit family oriented.are some of the most rotten, hypocritical, dysfunctional people you can meet Obviously you're traveling in the wrong cvircles and running with a rough crowd.. On top of all this, it is a very anti-intellectual party, they are supported mainly by Southern hillbillies that have absolutely no education. Just by looking at some of the GOP supporters here, you can tell that overall they are very uneducated, their spelling is horrible and they will use words like "loose" instead of "lose". But they might know enough to place the period inside the quotation mark. I was a Republican for 30 years. I'm an actual former preppie and have a college education. I have always held responsible positions in leadership and management. By the way, I've lived in six southern states, several of them more than once, and am returning to the "hills, by choice, in retirement."

In addition, because I have travelled all over the world, it would be very hard for me to pretend to be a small town, provincial ignoramus who thinks that America is the best place in the world, yet they have never been to any other places. Basically, the whole ideology is very anti-intellectual in nature You missed the period. Beyond that, I've lived for several years in each of three foreign countries. If you find it so difficult to believe in the promise of this one, perhaps you should dust off your passport and go elsewhere. Railing against it isn't helpful.

If you think about it, some of the most influential GOP/Conservatives voices today are people who are not even competent enough to get a college education (Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity). I would feel embarassed to be part of this group since it is mainly composed of losers. Those "losers" could probably buy and sell you many times over. They're entertainers first and foremost. If you're not entertained, switch channels!
I'm a fiscal conservative and a social moderate who does not belong to any political party. I see good and bad in all of them.; You really appear to have tunnel vision and that is decidedly less than enlightened.

By the way, have you considered a course in anger management? You'll live longer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Perhaps if we were all paying federal income taxes, we would have a united stand against oppresive government intervention and fiscal irresponsibility. Since only 55% of us pay any federal income tax, the other 45% don't understand what we are concerned about.
This bears repeating.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
I do not think it would be possible to divide America for a three main reasons.

1. There are people of all different ideologies in every town, county and state. Many of them would most certainly not be willing to leave their lives, homes and jobs for something as stupid as a political spat.

2. It is very rare to find someone who is 100% conservative or liberal. There are people who are economic liberals, but don't like abortion/gay marriage/general sin etc. There are people who are fiscally conservative that detest the religious right. There are people who are, in general, free thinkers and pragmatists and, in general do not otherwise align themselves with a particular side or the other.

3. As hard as may be to believe, many conservatives and liberals are friends with each other, many are related to each other and some are even married to each other. Why the heck would you want to split these people up over some political spat? Most people probably wouldn't stand for it anyway.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Count my wife amd me among the two opposites who were attracted to one another and married. Long ago we learned the art of agreeing to disagree.

But one thing we would both agree with is that our country cannot and should not be divided. There's enough room here for all sides.

It's what we call "freedom!"

Old 07-25-2009, 09:01 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_rodgers View Post
Our two groups can equitably divide up the country by landmass each taking a portion. That will be the difficult part, but I am sure our two sides can come to a friendly agreement. After that, it should be relatively easy! Our respective representatives can effortlessly divide other assets since both sides have such distinct and disparate tastes.

We don't like redistributive taxes so you can keep them. You are welcome to the liberal judges and the ACLU. Since you hate guns and war, we'll take our firearms, the cops, the NRA and the military. You can keep Oprah, Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnell (You are, however, responsible for finding a bio-diesel vehicle big enough to move all three of them).

We'll keep the capitalism, greedy corporations, pharmaceutical companies, Wal-Mart and Wall Street. You can have your beloved homeless, homeboys, hippies and illegal aliens. We'll keep the hot Alaskan hockey moms, greedy CEO's and rednecks. We'll keep the Bibles and give you NBC and Hollywood .

You can make nice with Iran and Palestine and we'll retain the right to invade and hammer places that threaten us. You can have the peaceniks and war protesters. When our allies or our way of life are under assault, we'll help provide them security.

We'll keep our Judeo-Christian values.. You are welcome to Islam, Scientology, Humanism and Shirley McClain. You can also have the U.N.. but we will no longer be paying the bill.

We'll keep the SUVs, pickup trucks and oversized luxury cars. You can take every Subaru station wagon you can find.

You can give everyone healthcare if you can find any practicing doctors. We'll continue to believe healthcare is a luxury and not a right. We'll keep The Battle Hymn of the Republic and the National Anthem. I'm sure you'll be happy to substitute Imagine, I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing, Kum Ba Ya or We Are the World.

We'll practice trickle down economics and you can give trickle up poverty your best shot. Since it often so offends you, we'll keep our history, our name and our flag.
Well, it certainly doesn't surprise me that you feel healthcare is a luxury and not a right! Hmmm, let's hope you don't lose your insurance and have a child diagnosed with a horrific disease. People like you truly **** me off.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
People like you truly **** me off.
Why? Cause they don't want to pay for your HC? What right do you have to my income?

Old 07-26-2009, 07:32 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The Conservative ideology goes against everything I believe in. I hate organized religion with a passion, who am I to stop someone from having an abortion, it is none of my business anyways.

I hate this whole "pro-corporation" ideology, in my experience, corporations are some of the most screwed up, most evil institutions I can think of and they will always $crew you over, no matter how good of a worker you are.

This whole talk about "family values" gets on my nerves, most of these Republicans that are always talking about God, Jesus and similar type of BS are some of the most rotten, hypocritical, dysfunctional people you can meet. On top of all this, it is a very anti-intellectual party, they are supported mainly by Southern hillbillies that have absolutely no education. Just by looking at some of the GOP supporters here, you can tell that overall they are very uneducated, their spelling is horrible and they will use words like "loose" instead of "lose".

In addition, because I have travelled all over the world, it would be very hard for me to pretend to be a small town, provincial ignoramus who thinks that America is the best place in the world, yet they have never been to any other places. Basically, the whole ideology is very anti-intellectual in nature

If you think about it, some of the most influential GOP/Conservatives voices today are people who are not even competent enough to get a college education (Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity). I would feel embarassed to be part of this group since it is mainly composed of losers.
You answered your own question

Why is this country so divided? Because unreasonable partisan blowhards full of hate (mostly from the left) are putting down more than half the country with condescending viewpoints and a "agree with us totally or you are a racist" mentality

Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post

Why is this country so divided? Because unreasonable partisan blowhards full of hate (mostly from the left) are putting down more than half the country with condescending viewpoints and a "agree with us totally or you are a racist" mentality
Do you expect me to compromise? I listen to Conservative talk show hosts all day long and I find them extremely uneducated, anti-intellectual and lacking in analytical skills. Just last week, some hick from a small town in VA called one of these shows(Glenn Beck, I think) and said that he would rather DIE than go under a government run health care system. Beck, the moron said something like "Yes, I can understand how you feel". This whole ideology is for people who are uneducated and ignorant.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 AM

Based on the above post, we can assume your original OP was a pile of horsesh*t, then?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post

The OP has no desire to "unite" the various factions within our citizenry, but only uses the his opening statement to preface a typical emotional, liberal rant against anyone with differing views. If one pays particular attention to the posts in this thread, there is a underlying hatred and condescension by this liberal that belies his olive branch. The narrative is nothing but an attempt to drive a wedge deeper into our political society.

One can be easily judged by their own comments, their ridicule of others, and their aire of superiority. The liberal in question starts his own thread whose sole purpose is to ridicule, categorize, and alienate anyone who might have taken him seriously in the OP. Pseudo-intellectualism is running rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies