Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times

Advertisements

Why do some assume that because Texas is doing a little better than some states (and yes, I mean A LITTLE...it's not explosive prosperity by any stretch of the imagination) that it somehow translates into THEM being clever or smarter than everyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
It's peculiar that you refuse to recognize contemporary facts, but choose to post personal experiences that are no longer factual. Your personal experiences certainly are the opposite of reality.

When the "tumbleweeds" blew down the streets were the saloons open, cattle roaming the streets, and Comanches raiding outlying homesteads? Were the Texas Rangers still riding horses?
15 years old?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why do some assume that because Texas is doing a little better than some states (and yes, I mean A LITTLE...it's not explosive prosperity by any stretch of the imagination) that it somehow translates into THEM being clever or smarter than everyone else?
Texas would be doing a LOT better if it weren't for all those people showing up from Michigan and California looking for jobs.

One reason unemployment is going up in some states now is that large numbers of people are leaving the collapsing states in search of jobs and driving up unemployment.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:44 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,002,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Perry raises possibility of states' rights showdown with White House over healthcare | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1504240.html?storylink=omni_popular - broken link)
So how long until "Tex" backs down this time around?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Can we choose to MAKE them leave?
Maybe but hopefully Texas will get a strong border on all sides and carefully limit immigration.

I've sure seen a lot of California plates lately.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Texas is not alone -

There are quite a few states that have passed resolutions informing the Federal Government of their intention(s) to possibly succeed from the Union in the event not only a government run healthcare system is imposed but also trying to ban firearms.

Some will "poo poo" these states. Personally, I would an will not "poo poo" them -

Old 07-26-2009, 04:31 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,002,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Texas is not alone -

There are quite a few states that have passed resolutions informing the Federal Government of their intention(s) to possibly succeed from the Union in the event not only a government run healthcare system is imposed but also trying to ban firearms.

Some will "poo poo" these states. Personally, I would an will not "poo poo" them -

The record of all these bozos is the same:

Posture- draw the real nuts, and zero else- get into trouble with saner (hard to find in SC, but even there they found some saner than Sanford)politicans in the home state- do a fast retreat.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:32 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. 01 Snake View Post
You just stay in MN and what happens in TX has nothing to do with you. You don't want us? Well, fine. I LOVE hearing people say let them leave, we don't want or need them. Maybe YOU people need to really take a look at the economy in TX along with what TX has to offer and does before you wave us good bye.
My family lives in Texas. I only go to school in Minnesota, so yes, things that happen has MUCH to do with me. I can trace my family in the state to before the Texas Revolution, and members who were alive even before that.

'Us' people have look at what TX brings to the table, and to be honest, the constant problems the state has brought the rest of the country, with embarrassment after embarrasement, bringing down the overall average standard of education in the nation, filling other states with large numbers of kids who can barely read and count, the religious extremism, the rampant ethnic, religious, sexual orientation and racial intolerance, the political fiascoes, and just overall 'hey Im from Texas so Im better than you all, and you all need to do things my way even if you disagree with it or Im gonna yell and scream' way of thinking brings nothing to the table.

Its almost like the state never got beyond losing the civil war, IMO. People (in charge) still think of them selves as good old southern boys who do things the good old southern way, and treat people in the 'good old southern way' (not well if you do not fit into one of their groups).

Texas costs america a hell of a lot more than it brings overall, and the stuck up, hateful, ignorant cowboy attitude only serves to remind the nation of its worst aspects.

Last edited by tindo80; 07-26-2009 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 04:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
The record of all these bozos is the same:
A resolution, allowing the State of Arizona to succeed if certain events happen on the Federal level, will be put before the voters of this State.

While the outcome is uncertain obviously, there is however, tremendous support for the resolution at this time.

Frankly, many states are sick and tired of the Feds trying to walk all over them in so many ways - including the unfunded mandates like NCLB as one example -

If the Feds try to ban firearms - you will see a revolt. If a governmental run health insurance program comes about - again - a lot of states are going to say NO - (some already have).

Its all about States Rights.

Are you a supporter of States Rights?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
I love laughing at the naive, un-informed, simplistic nonsense that millions of our fellow citizens spew forth from rarely closed pie holes about how the Federal Govt shouldn't be in this business or that or the other. HOGWASH!

Our very own FEDERAL Public Health Service traces its roots back to 1798. Yes, 211 years ago. Ooops, there goes those "states rights" and other poop-spin of the far right nutters.

Here's a excerpt from the USPHS website:

- The origins of the USPHS may be traced to the passage of an Act in 1798 that provided for the care and relief of sick and injured merchant seamen. The leaders of the young American nation recognized a healthy merchant marine was necessary to protect the economic prosperity and national defense of the country. The 1798 law created a fund to be used by the federal government to provide medical services to merchant seamen in American ports.

I'm sure if the nutters wanted to, they could google each state government and find out that the states have been in the public health biz a long time too. For some reason, our great free market captains of industry never came up with much of anything.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies