Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,419 times

Advertisements

Hey Yayoi,

I do agree that SOME fat people may overeat, and exercise too little. But not ALL of them. Like many on this thread, you assume that ALL fat people chose to be that way, by eating too much, and not exercising. Yet again, you're never willing to prove that!

As I've also pointed out many times, many thin people do eat loads of junk food, and lay around. Like many people in America today, you assume that everyone can control absolutely EVERY single aspect, of their lives. Once you live long enough, you get over that naive notion.

And any kind of prejudice, towards a whole group of people (fat people), is as bad as racism (or sexism, ageism, homophobia, etc.). That's why hating fat people, is just as bad as hating someone because they're black. It doesn't matter if a black can't change their color. What matters is, that both blacks, and fat people, are human beings. And both deserve to be treated as such.

You're just another judgemental person, who wants to justify hatred for fat people, just because they might be heavier than you. I believe that ALL people, fat or thin, should eat well and exercise. That doesn't mean that if they do, that ALL fat people will be thin. So quit trying to find reasons, to hate other human beings, because of their body size. It's pathetic, that you have to try and justify hatred, towards certain groups of people!

Last edited by artwomyn; 10-18-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Oh, lol. Of course you're being told to fear health. If you're healthy you wont need so much insurance and expensive care.

But, cling to those chains...protect your owners....
In recent years, we've discovered that a high-fat diet,
which means eating relatively large amounts of meat, dairy
products, and fried foods, is the main cause of
arteriosclerosis, coronary heart disease, stroke, certain
forms of cancer and obesity. Experts in these diseases
realize that the true cause is the excessively high animal
fat content of the average American diet including dairy
products.

ICE CREAM AND STROKES
What has any of this got to do with my post?

BTW, what US citizens choose to eat is none of the government's concern. If someone wants to eat a diet of fried chicken and ice-cream it is none of the government's business.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:55 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.

Articles about obesity have been flooding the media. I can't turn on CNN lately without them going on and on about the deleterious effects fat people are having on our insurance rates.

People are actually suggesting the obese be refused certain kinds of foods at restaurants...imagine that...are we going to have to have cards with our daily BMI listed before can be seated by the maitre d'? Will my wife and I have to step on a scale before we are allowed into a restaurant? What kind of society are we turning into?

And the wave of disdain being unleashed on the obese is staggering. News shows love to depict fat tummies and rears walking by, and suggestions are made that Congress has to step in.

I don't give a damn is someone wants to pudge out, and I'm sure as hell not worried about health costs because of fat people. If Congress really wanted to help the public they would put the screws to the lawyers and come up with strict limits on malpractice lawsuits. My $85 annual medical checkup in 1995 is now $450 in 2009. That's to pay for all the people my doctor had to hire for his backoffice paperwork and his malpractice insurance.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with obese people and health insurance premiums...that's a red herring folks, and we are being told it's okay to hate fat people because it's all their fault.

This is evil, vile stuff that this country is being sold.
Its totally unhealthy to be obese. Maybe due to it being shameful in Japan(unless sumo wrestling is your career) maybe that is why they're obesity rate is so low. I have an obese grandfather and uncle. Guess who have to do the runnings? Me. .... My grandfather is understandable because he's old and he was in normal shape for two-thirds of his life, but my uncle is in his 40s and been fat all of his life(literally!!). He just got of the hospital because of his obesity and is under an oxygen tank.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 AM

Of course it's not healthy to be obese. It's also not healthy to be too thin, to drink too much alcohol, or to smoke. That DOESN'T mean that it's okay, to hate the obese (or any oif the other groups that I've mentioned). We're all human, and people should strive towards compassion, for their fellow humans. No matter how much they weigh.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Of course it's not healthy to be obese. It's also not healthy to be too thin, to drink too much alcohol, or to smoke. That DOESN'T mean that it's okay, to hate the obese (or any oif the other groups that I've mentioned). We're all human, and people should strive towards compassion, for their fellow humans. No matter how much they weigh.
Intellectually, you're absolutely right. But in our present society, less literate than ever before, it's permissible to go after anyone who's different than you are. That could be a physical, mental, sexual, or any other kind of difference. Simply fill in the blank: I hate ________.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Fred314X,

I totally agree. Maybe an appropriate forum to start, would be: 'When did Americans
start becoming so hatelful, towards their fellow citizens'.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:31 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
Fred314X,

I totally agree. Maybe an appropriate forum to start, would be: 'When did Americans
start becoming so hatelful, towards their fellow citizens'.
I repeat when their fat sweaty thighs oozed over onto my seat and on to my leg forcing me to get out of my seat due to their gluttony. Or when they clearly know theres no way they will fit in between two people on the subway but swing their doublewide caboose around and it's up to you to dive out of the way as it comes crashing down on where you used to be sitting. Thats when.

And it will stop when people start taking some personal responsibility for their actions, stop blaming other people/factors for their problems and learn to stop imposing themselves on other people. That's when it will stop.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
There is no hatred against the obese. There are just more articles about it because the % of Americans who are obese has skyrocketed in recent years. It really is one of the single biggest changes in American culture. If someone time traveled from 30,40,50 years ago to today obesity rates would be one of the first things they would notice that changed. There are health issues related to it such as the diabetes epedemic. I don't hear any hateful comments though, You don't hear songs in this era such as "You can have her I don't want her she's too fat for me". If anything we are more sensitve about it.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Hey Yayoi,

I do agree that SOME fat people may overeat, and exercise too little. But not ALL of them. Like many on this thread, you assume that ALL fat people chose to be that way, by eating too much, and not exercising. Yet again, you're never willing to prove that!

As I've also pointed out many times, many thin people do eat loads of junk food, and lay around. Like many people in America today, you assume that everyone can control absolutely EVERY single aspect, of their lives. Once you live long enough, you get over that naive notion.

And any kind of prejudice, towards a whole group of people (fat people), is as bad as racism (or sexism, ageism, homophobia, etc.). That's why hating fat people, is just as bad as hating someone because they're black. It doesn't matter if a black can't change their color. What matters is, that both blacks, and fat people, are human beings. And both deserve to be treated as such.

You're just another judgemental person, who wants to justify hatred for fat people, just because they might be heavier than you. I believe that ALL people, fat or thin, should eat well and exercise. That doesn't mean that if they do, that ALL fat people will be thin. So quit trying to find reasons, to hate other human beings, because of their body size. It's pathetic, that you have to try and justify hatred, towards certain groups of people!
Nope not being judgemental. I don't hate fat people because I am one. I didn't get here because of some "glandular" problem. I'm here because I ate too many calories and exercised too little. The weight loss I've experienced was because of diet and intense exercise. I have yet to meet one fat person who didn't lose weight when they started eating properly and exercising. Not one! I'm not calling for fat people to be thin at all. If they want to remain fat that's fine. I'm just sick of the whining and excuses. If you want to be fat then own it and quit blaming the unseen!

Just because you see a fat person that eats "healthy" or one that doesn't eat a lot, it does not mean that they're getting proper nutrition. The average American diet is jacked up. A lot of people don't even know what single serving is. People can eat a whole plate of pasta not knowing that they just ate 3-4 servings. Some people consider a salad "healthy" even if it's just iceberg lettuce laden with cheese and dressing. Or they think that drinking 5 cups of OJ is ok since it's a fruit juice and not pop. Well OJ can have just as much sugar as pop.

And I'm sorry but hating someone over lifestyle choices is completely different than hating someone over something they cannot control no matter how you spin it. I've seen your analogy on this forum dozens of times. Usually it's brought up to tug at the emotions of other posters. We all know that black and fat folks are people too. That doesn't even need to be said. What you fail to understand is that blacks, whites, or any other race are often judged before they've done anything to warrant being judged. When you see an obese person you can safely assume that they're engaging in an unhealthy lifestyle. The people who are obese by no fault of their own are few are far between. Let's not pretend that there are a bunch of obese people because of "glandular" problems or medications. I can tell the difference between someone who is obese because of steriods and someone who is just plain fat.

Last edited by yayoi; 10-18-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Hey sickofncy99,

It's all too obvious, that you despise fat people. So quit beating us over the head, with your hateful rants. You keep using public transportation, as an excuse to hate the obese. Well then go get a car, and stop utilizing public transit. People come in all sizes, and they all have a right, to take public transit. If you can't deal with that, then just get a car!

As for your 'personal responsibility' rap, we've all heard that, over and over. It's just your same, tired old argument, where you brand ALL fat people as lazy gluttons, and ALL thin people, as paragons of virtue!

Why don't YOU take some 'personal resposibility', and start traveling by car. That way, you have no more excuses to gripe endlessly, about having to sit next to obese people, who utilize public transit!

And Jay F, there is hatred towards obese people, in society. Maybe not as much as we think, but it's there to some degree. I have to say, that seen more hateful attitudes towards fat people on this thread, than I ever have anywhere else. Sadly, this reflects badly, on the mentality of quite a few posters here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies