Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 11:00 AM

1,742 posts, read 957,797 times

Advertisements

It's interesting how popular this thread has become. Now back to the original question: when did it become OK to start hating the obese? - when obesity and economic status became closely linked. Hating the obese is another way of hating the poor without having to admit it. So it's something "progressives" can get behind without seeming elitist.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Since when are the obese a "minority" in this country? They're not even a "protected class" under the discrimination laws (though I'm sure you'd LOVE to change that)
They are a minority now, but if present trends continue they will be the majority.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:26 PM

73 posts, read 74,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralzone View Post
it's interesting how popular this thread has become. Now back to the original question: When did it become ok to start hating the obese? - when obesity and economic status became closely linked. Hating the obese is another way of hating the poor without having to admit it. So it's something "progressives" can get behind without seeming elitist.

amen !

Old 10-23-2010, 01:34 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
It's interesting how popular this thread has become. Now back to the original question: when did it become OK to start hating the obese? - when obesity and economic status became closely linked. Hating the obese is another way of hating the poor without having to admit it. So it's something "progressives" can get behind without seeming elitist.
Fattened for the slaughter - or, fattened for the laughter.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:43 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What I find disturbing is that why do people care about what others do with their own bodies. If someone is fat because they eat too much so what?
So what? It matters because if obesity continues to rise, we will be bankrupt from medical costs associated with it, not to mention the loss of productivity.

Obesity costs U.S. $168 billion, study finds.

Obesity’s Hidden Cost: Lost Productivity at Work.

The Tricks and Trials of Traveling While Fat

"When traveling overseas, it used to be that you could instantly spot the Americans because they were loud, obnoxious and clueless - usually announcing/celebrating their stupidity to anyone within earshot.

These days, for better and worse, you can actually spot them from a mile away and take evasive action. They're the Pickwickians lumbering around town squares -- apparently having digested three of the indigenous folk earlier that day.

The US is finally exporting fat Americans along with the poisonous junk food that made them that way.

Being fat is not about moral failure at the individual level - its the result of systemic failures of an entire culture and economy that worships profit by a few at the expense of the health of all others.

Maybe the third-world will finally take note of cause-and-effect and take action to prevent the US from continuing to dump toxic garbage into their local food supplies.

American food exports are the true weapons of mass destruction being used to hijack the health of the world.

Americans have finally turned into exactly the type of role-models the rest of the world needs to see more of. Please keep exporting fat Americans for the rest of the world to see up close."

—Mikhail, New York
October 21st, 2010

Old 10-23-2010, 02:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why are there more obese in the south?
If you saw the slop the restaurants serve up in the South then you'd understand the obesity here. One example is the Shoneys buffet I was coerced into going to with family recently. Their idea of a cooked vegetable was fried okra and canned peas swimming in about two pounds of butter. No where to be seen was anything healthy such as steamed broccoli or even a simple cooked carrot. I complained to relative there was no real vegetables on the bar and his response "yes they do ...they have mac and cheese up there". This is in a town where the average person goes to Hardees for breakfast several times a week if not daily to get a biscuit that has about 30 grams of fat not to mention the greasy fried meat within the biscuit.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:36 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
How did you get diabetes to begin with? Is it secondary to you being obese and not making proper food choices?
Bull pancakes.

My father died in 2007. His knees were shot. He smoked everyday day I ever remember being with him. My mother cooked fried potatoes (in lard - not the new age vegatable oils) for him to eat with his roast beef. He abhored anything green on his plate. The last meal I had with him was steak and potatoes before he moved back to Illinois in 2005.

He was 155 lbs when he died and he was never heavier than 185 lbs. He died of septic shock at 88 years old. Oh, yeah, he was Type 1 diabetic too.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
What do you want the goverment to do about obesity,short of telling them what they can and can't eat? The real point is that nothing could be done ab out it unless you plan on getting the goverment to interfere.I know health care costs are going to rise because of it but do you want to lose some freedoms over it?

With all the hating of the obese I most definitely see mental health costs increasing.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:07 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Bull pancakes.

My father died in 2007. His knees were shot. He smoked everyday day I ever remember being with him. My mother cooked fried potatoes (in lard - not the new age vegatable oils) for him to eat with his roast beef. He abhored anything green on his plate. The last meal I had with him was steak and potatoes before he moved back to Illinois in 2005.

He was 155 lbs when he died and he was never heavier than 185 lbs. He died of septic shock at 88 years old. Oh, yeah, he was Type 1 diabetic too.
The Obesity Society (http://www.obesity.org/information/diabetes_obesity.asp - broken link)

90% of type 2 diabetics are overweight. Enjoy those pancakes.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Bull pancakes.

Type 1 are usually born with it - Type TWO tends to result from obesity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies