Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 PM

164 posts, read 463,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
It's interesting how popular this thread has become. Now back to the original question: when did it become OK to start hating the obese? - when obesity and economic status became closely linked. Hating the obese is another way of hating the poor without having to admit it. So it's something "progressives" can get behind without seeming elitist.
Exactly. It's so obvious, too--especially when they include swipes at "waddling Walmart shoppers" and people "sitting at home on their big behinds, gobbling nachos and watching Jerry."

Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
It's interesting how popular this thread has become. Now back to the original question: when did it become OK to start hating the obese? - when obesity and economic status became closely linked. Hating the obese is another way of hating the poor without having to admit it. So it's something "progressives" can get behind without seeming elitist.
Funny you should say that. I was just reading an article explaining why many outside the US love to hate on fat Americans because they represent a hyper-consuming society that's too big and rich for it's own good.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Funny you should say that. I was just reading an article explaining why many outside the US love to hate on fat Americans because they represent a hyper-consuming society that's too big and rich for it's own good.
Go to any public place in a wealthy community in the United States and count how many obese people you see: virtually none.

Now go to a working class or poor area and count how many obese you see in public: a lot.

I live in Orange County California where socio-economic status and ethnicity are closely linked. The white working class has all but disappeared, replaced by the Latino working class. If you are white in Orange County, you are middle class at least, and probably upper middle class at that.

My gym, because of its location (nearest residential areas are heavily latino, but surrounded by a business park with lots of professional offices) has an interesting combination of customers- upper middle class white professionals and working class latinos. You almost NEVER see an overweight or heavy, let alone obese, white person at my gym. However, you see lots of overweight latinos. Nothing scientific there, just an observation.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Since Marie Claire decried it, "Fat People: Eww."

Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Yep, what I've been saying all along. Count your calories, determine how many you need a day, stay below that amount and you WILL lose weight.

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Quote:
For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.
He lost 27 lbs in 2 months.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM

This is what living in the Culture of Entitlements and Reality TV brings us.
This selfish slob gives normal fat people a bad name.

728-Pound Woman Aiming to Be World's Heaviest of All Time

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5913/article20269640d75ebb40.jpg (broken link)

Weigh to go: Susanne Eman posing with her two sons, Gabriel, left, 16, and Brendin, right, 12, and their dog Sisco, 6, at their home in Casa Grande, Arizona
Susanne Eman eats more than 20,000 calories a day in a bid to become the fattest woman of all time.

She weighs 728 pounds - and is aiming to hit 1,610.

The single mother of two has already passed the previous living record holder – 700-pound Donna Simpson, 43, who lives in New Jersey.

"The bigger I get, the better I feel. I feel confident and sexy,” said Eman, 32.
"Why not see how fat I can get? I want to break the stigma that being fat is a bad thing."

Old 08-20-2011, 04:24 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Who hates fat people thin people and in between people, not me. I accept people for who they are. But cannot hang with the women on the thread here, that is trying to gain 2000 pounds, that i will never understand.
What i worry about with heavier people hate the word fat, is with all the extra weight the heart has to be affected, and it is not easy on the bones either with the extra weight. Their business to be fat, as mine is to be thin.

What i hate is those that pray on the heavier set, with trying to make them lose weight with pills, as pills is the magic solution. Good sound nutrition, with a exercise program, and a change in eating habits, or it will not happen. And tons of water. Before anyone starts a diet program do check with your Doctor, and be prepared for a change in your eating habits, if you want to keep the weight off.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:57 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,421 times
When they give me a door ding every time they climb out of their car, thats when.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This is what living in the Culture of Entitlements and Reality TV brings us.
This selfish slob gives normal fat people a bad name.

Sick.

And probably funded by tax payers. This is another good reason to eliminate all welfare.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 PM

1,019 posts, read 590,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.

Articles about obesity have been flooding the media. I can't turn on CNN lately without them going on and on about the deleterious effects fat people are having on our insurance rates.

People are actually suggesting the obese be refused certain kinds of foods at restaurants...imagine that...are we going to have to have cards with our daily BMI listed before can be seated by the maitre d'? Will my wife and I have to step on a scale before we are allowed into a restaurant? What kind of society are we turning into?

And the wave of disdain being unleashed on the obese is staggering. News shows love to depict fat tummies and rears walking by, and suggestions are made that Congress has to step in.

I don't give a damn is someone wants to pudge out, and I'm sure as hell not worried about health costs because of fat people. If Congress really wanted to help the public they would put the screws to the lawyers and come up with strict limits on malpractice lawsuits. My $85 annual medical checkup in 1995 is now $450 in 2009. That's to pay for all the people my doctor had to hire for his backoffice paperwork and his malpractice insurance.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with obese people and health insurance premiums...that's a red herring folks, and we are being told it's okay to hate fat people because it's all their fault.

This is evil, vile stuff that this country is being sold.
Ever since the first person got obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies