Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:05 PM

5,344 posts, read 4,443,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

.... there's more of a threat to THIS president than there was to THAT president....

Really?

Reagan was in office only two months when John Hinckley shot him.

Regardless of the reasons anyone whishes harm to the POTUS, they are all in danger from wackos.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,080,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Regardless of the reasons anyone whishes harm to the POTUS, they are all in danger from wackos.
Sadly true. I seem to recall reading, though (sorry, no link), that the number of received threats have gone up sharply.

All snarkiness aside, the Secret Service has always struck me as professionals of the highest order. I don't think they'd take kindly to orders to do anything that would tar that reputation. If for nothing else, because their reputation forms part of their effectiveness, they know it and the President, not being stupid, knows it too.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:18 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,461,402 times
i don't pay attention to political bloggers. they are all so full of themselves and their own opinions and prejudices that they don't really see anything reminiscent of reality. as of yet, i have yet to see any proof that the ss agents were actually pointing their weapons at the crowds.

there would be no professional justification for that unless shots had already been fired or something else that drastic had already happened. federal agents are human too, and certainly they make mistakes, but you can bet that they are all schooled up enough to know that having weapons pointed anywhere near crowds is a no no.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:26 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,985,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Here they are with President Bush.......see agent with gun in lower picture.................................

Funny how no one noticed or cared before...............last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago.....
Wonder why'd they care so much now?
It doesn't appear to be pointed at people. I could care less if it's not.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,203,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Really?

Reagan was in office only two months when John Hinckley shot him.

Reagan's shooter wasnt politically motivated.

Reagan's guard felt secure enough to let him walk out in the open to the car, past a gaggle of people who were only held back by -- I had thought police tape, but looking at this picture I cant tell. Just police maybe.

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archive...e/c1426-16.jpg

Last edited by delusianne; 07-31-2009 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 06:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,484,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
It doesn't appear to be pointed at people. I could care less if it's not.
They are NOT pointing guns at anybody and never have. This was just a weak attempt to get another lame Obama conspiracy off the ground.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,426,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Is this true: SECRET SERVICE Pulls Guns On Tea Party Rallyists?

Gateway Pundit: OBAMA SECRET SERVICE Pulls Guns On Conservative Tea Party Protesters In Bristol (http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2009/07/obama-secret-service-pulls-guns-on-tea.html - broken link)

If it is true, I wonder who is giving the orders...

I saw Bush's caravan twice. The first time was during the general election of 2000. It was a lot of black XL SUVs with tinted windows. The local police had traffic blocked off in all directions and the SUVs whizzed by at a high rate of speed. The next time I saw the same Bush caravan, he was POTUS post 9/11 and the caravan included a silver helicopter with non-descript pods on either side that hovered directly over the presidential formation. I can't really say when the president's security measures were expanded to this degree. Reagan obviously didn't receive this level of security. But I would divinely think that what was witnessed at the rally is similar to what I saw about five years ago when then POTUS Bush came to town. Then all the bridges had police with rifles on them for miles in advance of the coming formation. I'm pretty sure that the silver helicopter was packin' too.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,498,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Sorry but the Secret Service has ALWAYS moved like this..An assault team can't take time to roll down the windows. It's an assault team not watergun team. They are there to protect the President not hand out fliers and blow kisses.

You do realize that several U.S. Presidents have been assasinated with other attempts to include Reagan's.
Good point. I don't know if they've always moved like this (I am in no position to know), but it seems about right to me. Is the preference that the Secret Service have their hands in their pockets? Isn't having weapons at the ready the definition of being prepared?

[shrug]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 07-31-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 07:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,203,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
This was just a weak attempt to get another lame Obama conspiracy off the ground.
I think so too...feeds into the special imaginations that want so badly to believe Obama and his thug buddies are cruising the streets in fancy cars laughing and pointing guns at the patriots.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,483,170 times
I'm sure the Secret Service finds many of these right wing fringe groups to be potentially dangerous, and I would agree with that sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies