Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times

Advertisements

People sure are making a lot of proclamations about a bill that isn't even done being looked at yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
this afghanistan war, like the iraq war, is about corporate profit. big banks profit from war and until we unhinge the Federal Reserve Bank - aka the Fourth Branch of Government that controls the other three - we will have perpetual war. Audit the Fed - call your congressman to support HR 1207. The Constitution states that Congress shall control the issue of credit and currency - yet the federal reserve board is doing it instead and WITHOUT OVERSIGHT.

HR 1207- audit the fed.
Getting rid of the federal reserve will stop war?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
And you have conveniently forgot to include the fact that if your current private plan changes in any way you will default to the government program!
Bull ! I want to see thin one in writing!!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And obastard is funded with my tax dollars. Disgusting.
uh, what?

so is every president....

Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
Yes and we all know that he has also consistently said that noone making less that $250K would pay "one dime of additional taxes" of any kind. Have you looked at the cigarette taxes lately - mostly paid bt the poorest segment of the population? How about state and local taxes? Did you hear Geithner and Summers on the Sunday talk shows? He also has said that he wouldn't hire lobbyists, until he did. And that Congress would get time to read legislation before voting on it, except when they had to do it fast, fast, fast!
would you rather your personal state taxes go up, or would you rather smokers pay more?

Summers and Geithner didnt lie. They didnt say taxes were going up, and Gibbs said categorically they are NOT going up. Since all their jobs and a couple more hinge on that declaration, I think they're going to protect that promise.

Link to Obama promising Congress would get time to read legislation -- which they certainly do have.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:55 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Every bank I have, even paypal, has a procedure for reporting spam by forwarding spam emails for them to investigate.

I see nothing wrong with anyone doing this. It's fighting fire with fire. You can't expect the internet to be used for one thing and not another. And no individuals are being "targeted".

Face it people, we are dealing with new technology here, and the amount of disinformation being spread, and believed, is staggering. And anything valid is lost in a sea of paranoia. If someone took a position of mine and spun it to say something different, the only way I could correct that is by KNOWING it was said in the first place. Everyone, including the government, needs to be proactive.

All of us need to be informed, to know THE REAL INFORMATION. A society of ignorant people does nothing good.
The solution is very simple, really. They wouldn't have to do this if they were transparent, honest, ethical and non-partisan (as they promised they would be).
If they were believable, we could trust them and believe what they say. All they'd have to do is deliver the message (after reading the bill, of course) of what the plan entails. But we know we can't believe politicians. They earned their lack of credibility with the people, now they have to deal with it.

I've always lived by the motto of trust everyone until they prove they are untrustworthy. The government proved a long time ago whether they can be trusted.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The solution is very simple, really. They wouldn't have to do this if they were transparent, honest, ethical and non-partisan (as they promised they would be).
If they were believable, we could trust them. I've always lived by the motto of trust everyone until they prove they are untrustworthy. The government proved a long time ago whether they can be trusted.
You'e defending the exploitation and encouragement of ignorance and fear. Why?!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sure they probably could. They could probably tell what you are wearing right now based on this post if they wanted. But that isn't what they are asking for. What they want to know is the information, misinformation, rumors, gossip, etc. so it can be addressed.
I agree with you Ceece. I think it is important though that we must be careful of the things the government tells us. As well meaning as the WH thinks this program is.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
If they were believable, we could trust them. I've always lived by the motto of trust everyone until they prove they are untrustworthy. The government proved a long time ago whether they can be trusted.
Unfortunately if your starting point is "our government can't be trusted" we have no where to go from there and nothing will ever happen. Will you be moving into a cave soon?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
would you rather your personal state taxes go up, or would you rather smokers pay more?

Summers and Geithner didnt lie. They didnt say taxes were going up, and Gibbs said categorically they are NOT going up. Since all their jobs and a couple more hinge on that declaration, I think they're going to protect that promise.

Link to Obama promising Congress would get time to read legislation -- which they certainly do have.
There will be no new Income or Payroll taxes, but a VAT National Sales Tax is a different thing all together. It was never said that that wouldn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies