Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I think Hitler started out the same way!!!!! "Tell ME what YOUR neighbor is saying"
So did Joe McCarthy (and in a loose sense, Ronald Reagan). So what's your point.

This isn't about imaginary ghosts and goblins lurking in the shadows. It's about health care facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
So you think the private insurance companies are going to grow tomatoes when Universal Coverage takes effect?

They are going to lower their rates and increase their coverage, or they will have to find a new growth venture to rape the public.
(Can anyone say water rights)
Since when was it not the job of the government to not rape the people.
The insurance companies are not going to lower their rates and will probably increase rates and or just get out of the insurance business all together.
Who rapes us more the government or the insurance company, I wonder in the history of government vs insurance company who wins that one. Think about all the money insurance companies pay for claims so you can live a better life and or not wait on a waiting list or government program to tell you that you are covered. If your age is not worth the risk and cost to the tax payer and governments lack of funds as it is.
What I am saying is some people actually have good insurance companies.
Some people have good coverage and they are paying for that in different ways. In a new National Coverage the individuals who are covered will have to pay more to stay covered and then fight the corporations to keep them insured when naturally the company will drop them to save money.
I look at the long term effects of national health care on businesses and individuals rights and prices. Long term the individual will be screwed and corporations will up profits and the government will grow.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingville View Post
I think everyone misses the bigger point. The First Amendment gives us a right to Freedom of Speech. I believe that reporting "fishy" websites and emails is not appropriate or right. People have been told time and again that the Internet does not necessarily have correct or accurate information. Also, if you forward an email the White House is able to track back to who it came from originally. This is all very outrageous. Does Obama plan on prosecuting everyone for defamation of character? He is the President. It is expected that people will disagree with your views and policies.

Noam Chomsky states that: "If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech for views you don't like."

You're not understanding what is being asked by the admistration.

No one is saying you cant say something in opposition of the plan, no one is saying you cant make stuff up, no one is saying that they want to stop anyone from doing anything.

What is being asked is that MISINFORMATION and FALSE STATEMENTS about the plan be forwarded so that the administration can address them and make sure the citizens of this country get FACTUAL INFORMATION.

Decision making is all about making an educated decision using the information at hand.

If you have false information, how can you make a decision? You can't.

No one is asking that people be reported. No one is saying that you cant say what you want. They just want to be able to give people the correct info. That's it.

People need to stop making it more than it is.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
So did Joe McCarthy (and in a loose sense, Ronald Reagan). So what's your point.

This isn't about imaginary ghosts and goblins lurking in the shadows. It's about health care facts.
So now you think it's OK for Obama too? If you do, we did not learn our lesson!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Also, if you forward an email the White House is able to track back to who it came from originally.
Not if you remove ALL previous email addresses from the email. If you just hit 'forward' and send it, yes. Anyone you forward it to would have access to all of that info. Which is why, when I forward anything, I delete any and all previous email info.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
I think everyone misses the bigger point. The First Amendment gives us a right to Freedom of Speech. I believe that reporting "fishy" websites and emails is not appropriate or right. People have been told time and again that the Internet does not necessarily have correct or accurate information. Also, if you forward an email the White House is able to track back to who it came from originally. This is all very outrageous. Does Obama plan on prosecuting everyone for defamation of character? He is the President. It is expected that people will disagree with your views and policies.

Noam Chomsky states that: "If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech for views you don't like."
if the government actually starts taking action against people who spread rumors, i will agree with you 100%. that would be a clear violation of free speech.

but that is clearly not the intention of this request. they just want to know what rumors are out there so they can counter them.

i will gladly bet $100 that not one person spreading rumors sees a negative effect from this. go ahead, make 2 e-mail accounts, forward yourself something and then forward it on to the government with headers intact. see what happens.

the only reason the bush administration never did anything like this is that no one involved had a clue how to use the internet.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 AM

The thing I find funny is the reason the administration has asked people to do this is exactly what is going on in this thread.

People take something and they bend it, break it, warp it until it becomes something unrecognizable.

So, the administration says, please forward any false statements about this plan so we can make sure people get the right info.

People turn that into, Obama is spying on everything and wants to take free speech away!

Take off the foil hats and step into reality.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
if the government actually starts taking action against people who spread rumors, i will agree with you 100%. that would be a clear violation of free speech.

but that is clearly not the intention of this request. they just want to know what rumors are out there so they can counter them.

i will gladly bet $100 that not one person spreading rumors sees a negative effect from this. go ahead, make 2 e-mail accounts, forward yourself something and then forward it on to the government with headers intact. see what happens.

$100?

Hell, I'll bet every possession I have including the clothes on my back.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Just send them the web address of this forum. This place is disinformation central.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
So now you think it's OK for Obama too? If you do, we did not learn our lesson!

I will repeat (I can't speak any slower):

"This isn't about imaginary ghosts and goblins lurking in the shadows. It's about health care facts".

If you think gathering facts about health care is the same as a witch hunt, then you are backing the correct side on the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies