Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,704,401 times

Advertisements

Good job, TristansMommy. I applaud your efforts, but I'm willing to bet your post will fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes, as the case may be).

It's much easier for the ignorant masses to accept and spread angry lies than to take the time to learn and understand that they're protesting a healthcare option that'll be a literal life-saver (or, at least a livelihood-saver) for millions of Americans and their families, including many of those same people who are protesting it.

It's a very sad state of affairs when so many misguided people are willing to listen to and follow hate- and fear-mongering talk show hosts, instead of considering that maybe the "other side" isn't out to ruin everything for everyone, and is actually trying to do something that'll seriously help millions of their fellow Americans. I'm not saying that the bill(s) should be passed "as is" because I have not read all of the bills in their entirety. I simply don't undersand why so many people are so dead-set against the public option, no matter what the bills say.

It's unbelievably ironic that the party that's always screaming about being "Patriots" who put "America first" is the same party that's attempting to terminate a healthcare initiative that would truly mean the difference between happiness and misery, life and death, prosperity and poverty for millions of Americans and their families who cannot obtain insurance due to pre-existing conditions or inability to afford coverage, who cannot pay for treatment once dropped by their insurance carriers or after a job loss, who go bankrupt trying to pay out of pocket for expensive medical procedures and medications they desperately need, etc.

True patriots would know that this country can only be as strong as it's weakest members of society. The sick and the poor have been discriminated against for so long, regarding healthcare in this country, that it's time for true change. It's time that we stop being selfish, with the mentality of "I'm healthy and I have my insurance, and if someone else doesn't have it, too bad for them." We all need to come together on this important issue, and stop leaving our sickest and poorest members of society behind. People with pre-existing conditions should no longer have to make the choice between foregoing necessary treatment due to inability to afford the out-of-pocket costs, or being relegated to poverty in order to be able to qualify for medical insurance (Medicaid) that will allow them to obtain treatment. People who develop cancer and whose claims are subsequently denied by their insurance carriers should no longer have to make the choice between foregoing treatment due to inability to pay out-of-pocket costs, or bankrupting themselves and their families trying to save their lives. People should no longer accept the status-quo of paying monthly insurance premiums for years (at skyrocketing rates, no less), only to be dropped or denied once you actually need to use your coverage for something more serious than a yearly checkup.

I realize that it's difficult to put oneself in someone else's downtrodden shoes if you've never been in a critical situation such as some of the situations outlined above, but it would really help if people could stop thinking about how this may or may not affect themselves and consider for a moment how it will affect the poorest, sickest members of our citizenry. If you're not inclined to give a crap about poor, sick people, consider for a moment how helping the poorest, sickest members of our society will most certainly help our country as a whole to be stronger on a variety of levels. Because, like I mentioned before, true patriots do not put themselves first. "America first" doesn't mean "I've got mine, sucks to be you."

Last edited by Politico; 08-06-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Not only how this will be paid for but is a TRILLION $ really going to cover this program? When has a government program ever been right at budget?
Republicans didn't have trouble figuring that out in 2003 w/Medicare Part B... in fact, they didn't even care how the trillion will be paid for.

At least we know, in this case, that the health care costs the nation already. Simply ensuring that people don't wait until they're emergency room ready is a step towards savings that would pay a part of the expenses.

Companies will contribute, taxes will contribute... what is the problem again?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Republicans didn't have trouble figuring that out in 2003 w/Medicare Part B... in fact, they didn't even care how the trillion will be paid for.

At least we know, in this case, that the health care costs the nation already. Simply ensuring that people don't wait until they're emergency room ready is a step towards savings that would pay a part of the expenses.

Companies will contribute, taxes will contribute... what is the problem again?

Taxes from whom?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,907,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
... why should we believe that you neo-cons read anything, let alone five bills that consist of thousands of pages. Most of you don't even read the links that you post.
The Democrats in Congress don't read any of this stuff either ... go figure ..

Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Taxes from whom?
Me, for example. I'm working my way to rely completely on my small business, and independence from current employer who sponsors my health insurance (and they pay a hefty premium for it).

Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
Good job TM. Would that more people would actually take the time to read before they scream.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Me, for example.

Oooooookay and what is the determination of who will pay and who will not?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Oooooookay and what is the determination of who will pay and who will not?
What is the determination right now? Do you have health insurance? Who pays for it?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
What is the determination right now? Do you have health insurance? Who pays for it?
You are dodging? Do you know the answer or don't you?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,822 times
I was looking HR 3200 over and could someone help me define something in the bill.

Page 435 14-18

Page 436 4-7

Page 437 4-9

Is this something that always was or something new?

Please don't tear me apart--the only way to understand is to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies