Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
does that marketing get under anyone else's skin too? SMARTcar, SMART grid? Good thing most of us are not easily brainwashed.
This is the one I hate the most...planet friendly popcorn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
I'm getting my 1967 VW bug restored right now! That little fire after the gasline hose broke put her in a temporary bind. I bought her new and will continue to drive her once in awhile even though my Camry is air-conditioned and gets better mileage. She will always be my "baby."

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The car I learned to drive in was a VW beetle. I subsequently owned 4 more of my own, into the 80s.

Sadly, I had 2 accidents in beetles, both of which were not my fault. Both cars were totaled. I suffered a lot of injuries in one accident, wh/ have caused lifelong problems.

However, I still went on to buy one more VW beetle after that last accident, LOL. The cars were fun to drive and even a poor student could afford to fill 'er up w/ gas.

Safety is the only reason I would not buy another one today. And it is getting hit by other larger vehicles that concerns me - not the safety of the VW itself.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:03 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
We wouldn't have to rely on the Arabs, if we were allowed to use our resources in our own country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You will drive what is good for the country. You will not drive a car that makes us more reliant on the Arabs.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:53 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
When did Obama say he wants everyone to own a smartcar? Either provide proof of this, or stop lying, please.
dont know if you ever got an answer to this.... just reminding the OP in case you did not.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
It's not what Obama says but what he doesn't say, the info between the lines, and the intended or unintended consequences of present proposals and actions of which you need be mindful.
Paranoia, will destroy ya.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
We wouldn't have to rely on the Arabs, if we were allowed to use our resources in our own country!
The poor oil companies, their hands are tied

Old 08-11-2009, 03:10 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Paranoia, will destroy ya.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it's not what he says, it's what he doesn't say. If it's not what he doesn't say, it's what he does say. I wonder if some people's brains hurt w/all this mindless analyzing?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it's not what he says, it's what he doesn't say. If it's not what he doesn't say, it's what he does say. I wonder if some people's brains hurt w/all this mindless analyzing?
They remind me of a line in Midnight Run (1988): "You have two emotions, silence and rage."

Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
When did Obama say he wants everyone to own a smartcar? Either provide proof of this, or stop lying, please.
Seeing as Obama is the biggest liar in the world, it would be as in other instances where he would deny he ever said it even if a video recording proved that he had. I just wonder how many millions that Honda and Toyota put into secret bank accounts for the anointed one.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:21 PM

526 posts, read 1,756,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
In terms of where the fuel for electric vehicles will come from:

Short to Medium Term: Hydroelectric (where available) and nuclear
Long Term: Renewable solar, wind and geothermal.

If fossils fuels need to be used (hopefully very short term) than natural gas generation is preferable to coal or oil generation.

Even if we could go straight to solar, wind and geothermal. What makes you think that anybody will be able to use these resources for free. Taxing the sun, wind, and heat generated from the Earth is insane. The Bolivian government tried to tax poor indigenous citizens for the rain they collected to drink. Does this seem right? So we can all count on "free energy" to cost the citizens as much or more than using fossil fuels... the only savings will go straight to the government.

We all know that hybrid cars and energy saving appliances and green building materials cost anywhere from 50%-300% more than regular products. The savings in fuel and energy take more than the life of the product to get back. It has already proven itself not to be economical. So... now that we know it is not economical, what other benefit is there to going green? Nothing except for saving the environment and this leads me to my final point.

If we were to become energy independent tomorrow, China would just buy all the oil that we stoped using to further industrialise itself and pollute. Last time I checked, global warming was a global issue. Honestly, global warming is the biggest hoax played on the most ignorant of our kind in aims to gravitate towards a world government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies