Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 PM

18,336 posts, read 26,594,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
While my state does not permit open carry, I have a concealed carry permit but were Texas to allow open carry I personally would continue to carry concealed for the reason you mention.

With that said, in many states, simply carrying a concealed weapon is considered provocative. May folks consider open carry to be a safer form of carrying - both for access to the weapon and to cause those who might be looking to do harm to think twice before doing so.

Yes, the guy got the attention he wanted, but to simply say open carry in and of itself is only done for provocation or that it is not "normal" is wrong.
You can open carry long guns (rifles or shotguns) in TX but not a handgun. Pretty strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 PM

18,336 posts, read 26,594,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
It's increasingly apparent that many of these folks had some German in their blood, submitting to authority at the drop of a hat. No wonder Hitler found it so easy to gain power.
Hey, I've got a lot of German blood in me, and I'm a libertarian. Also have some real rebel blood in me from the Revolution and events in Europe before that...

Old 08-12-2009, 07:28 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,693,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You can open carry long guns (rifles or shotguns) in TX but not a handgun. Pretty strange.
It's odd to me too.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,559,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
... but to simply say open carry in and of itself is only done for provocation or that it is not "normal" is wrong.
Maybe Texas is different, but I feel pretty confident is saying that if you are walking around any NH or VT town or city with a handgun open on your belt you want some attention.

And the (perhaps)dozens of folks around you carrying concealed aren't thinking "Boy their goes a guy protecting his Constitutional rights" they are thinking "Boy, there goes a complete attention hound,."

I know enough CCL guys to be pretty confident in that opinion, but it's just that, my opinion. I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,012,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
His sign said nothing about spilling blood as he indicted in the video. It was a quote from Thomas Jefferson hardly a subversive. Calm down.

It depends on your point of view as to whether Thomas Jefferson was a subversive or a terrorist. I'm Anglo-American and had the opportunity to learn history from the British sylabus. Jefferson was in open rebellion towards his Sovereign and was actively committing high treason. If British forces had prevailed he would have had two choices. First, surrendering to Britsh authorities to go on trial or two removing himself from British territory to France maybe. He would have spent some quality time in the Tower of London and upon the Court passing semtence he would have been hanged.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,786,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Thats nice...by the way,how does they know who is carrying a weapon within 800 yards of the POTUS?

Also do private property rights as well as your Constitutional rights get tossed out the window because the POTUS is down the road???
Yep. Because there are wackos out there with a gun who think that shooting the President will get them their 15 minutes of fame.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:31 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,786,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
It depends on your point of view as to whether Thomas Jefferson was a subversive or a terrorist. I'm Anglo-American and had the opportunity to learn history from the British sylabus. Jefferson was in open rebellion towards his Sovereign and was actively committing high treason. If British forces had prevailed he would have had two choices. First, surrendering to Britsh authorities to go on trial or two removing himself from British territory to France maybe. He would have spent some quality time in the Tower of London and upon the Court passing semtence he would have been hanged.
If he didn't pick up a gun and fire on British troops (he was probably too good for that...), he was merely a subversive and a traitor.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:36 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,923,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yep. Because there are wackos out there with a gun who think that shooting the President will get them their 15 minutes of fame.
Well again,that is nice to know you think the peoples rights are to be restricted by the mere presence of Royalty.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:01 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,844,369 times
The rally wasn't about the 2nd amendment ... the guy is an idiot and Chris Matthews pointed that out very well ... Matthews wasn't PWND ... it's the other way around.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,923,734 times
This is about our rights being trampled...the second is the normal target for the left,history shows the left likes unarmed people,easier for them to murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies