Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should american citizens be allowed a referendum vote on this health care bill?
yes, they should-let the people decide 50 59.52%
no, they should not-let government decide 32 38.10%
don't know / don't care either way 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:57 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,551,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
We are not a direct Democracy,only when we elect people we are.No we should not have a vote on it,however there needs to be reform so I don't agree with people who say keep what what we have now they are dellusional if they think everything is ok the way it is.
What part of "our form of democracy" did you not understand? Or are you misreading intentionally?

If we are to trust the government so completely, why did the government try to push through this bill before anyone had a chance to read it? What was the huge hurry, that now seems to not matter as much?

Why the change of verbiage about the bill and the lack of specifics about its inner workings and how it is to be paid for?

Yes, health care need to be looked at, but in an intelligent manner. Do not rush to implement opinions and guesses. For once, let's try to get it right the first time and this is accomplished by civil discussion and research into the subject.

Is that to much to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Of course it wasn't solely why he won the election, but it was a huge part of the overall package -- he made that quite clear, and voters knew that going into that booth on November 4, 2008.
However, the voters did not know how he intended to alter the plan. Kind of an important point, don't you think?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
What part of "our form of democracy" did you not understand? Or are you misreading intentionally?

If we are to trust the government so completely, why did the government try to push through this bill before anyone had a chance to read it? What was the huge hurry, that now seems to not matter as much?

Why the change of verbiage about the bill and the lack of specifics about its inner workings and how it is to be paid for?

Yes, health care need to be looked at, but in an intelligent manner. Do not rush to implement opinions and guesses. For once, let's try to get it right the first time and this is accomplished by civil discussion and research into the subject.

Is that to much to ask?
I think you are being a little hard on lionking, predos. The bill is not finalized. There are various versions, and a host of proposed changes. While Obama wants to move on this, I think the characterization that it was being pushed through before people had a chance to review it is clearly incorrect. It's not even been presented to the Senate, yet, and we are seeing ample public discussion of health reform. And no matter how much discussion, there will be a vocal group of people who will say that we didn't get it right, not the first time, not the second time, not anytime. Every piece of legislation helps some people, but also adversely affects others. That's unavoidable.

And healthcare needs more than to be looked at, it's a ticking time bomb in our economy.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
should the people of the united states be allowed to vote on whether they want this health care bill or not?
There is no such thing as a "national referendum" which makes your question irrelevant. The US has a republican form of government (see Article IV, Section 4 of the US Constitution) and that means people elect representatives, but they do not vote on legislation. Maybe if you took the time to actually read the US Constitution you wouldn't ask such ridiculously silly questions.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think you are being a little hard on lionking, predos. The bill is not finalized. There are various versions, and a host of proposed changes. While Obama wants to move on this, I think the characterization that it was being pushed through before people had a chance to review it is clearly incorrect. It's not even been presented to the Senate, yet, and we are seeing ample public discussion of health reform. And no matter how much discussion, there will be a vocal group of people who will say that we didn't get it right, not the first time, not the second time, not anytime. Every piece of legislation helps some people, but also adversely affects others. That's unavoidable.

And healthcare needs more than to be looked at, it's a ticking time bomb in our economy.
Why was the original must be passed date set to be before the August recess, if it were not being rushed through?

Why have various members of congress admitted that they don't even read the bills they vote on?

The conversation on this bill is caused by the fact that it was delayed and this allows for discussion.

I do agree with you, however, when you say no bill makes everybody happy. Yes, this is unavoidable. But the least we can hope for is that the terms of the bill are clear and laid out in the bill, not to be interpreted later.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,436,879 times
Quote:

However, the voters did not know how he intended to alter the plan. Kind of an important point, don't you think?
Well it would be, if it were true. As far as I can see, he hasn't altered anything.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Why was the original must be passed date set to be before the August recess, if it were not being rushed through?

Why have various members of congress admitted that they don't even read the bills they vote on?

The conversation on this bill is caused by the fact that it was delayed and this allows for discussion.

I do agree with you, however, when you say no bill makes everybody happy. Yes, this is unavoidable. But the least we can hope for is that the terms of the bill are clear and laid out in the bill, not to be interpreted later.
What does it matter what the original passage date was since that clearly didn't happen? And the original passage date was a goal for the House, not for the Senate. Such goals regularly go unmet. But putting pressure meant that at least there were completed drafts of the bill to discuss. People can read the rough draft, not a fully-crafted bill. And that has obviously led to a much more robust debate, which serves all of us. The attention paid to this issue has clarified for our representatives just how important the issue is to Americans, which may lead to a better bill. I just don't want our legislators to be intimidated into weaker legislation, I would like them to be inspired to be more innovative, more thoughtful about the bill they finally do craft.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,848 times
18 people believe that the government is smarter than they are about their own lives. What a sad state of affairs.

Last edited by Sonrise; 08-12-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
18 people believe that the government is smarter then they are about their own lives. What a sad state of affairs.
It's not "then", it's "than".

Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times
I am patriotic enough to consider the Government of the United States of America to be the best in the world....it is not perfect but it is my government. I dont consider it to be my enemy....I believe the government is the representative body of the American People. I am sick and tired of the lies and innuendo and slander of our government. I dont want the crazy lady at the McCain rally with the fright wig....deciding health care policy....I dont want the ill informed loud mouth bullies at the town meetings deciding health care policy. I want the elected representatives deliberating and making those decision.

I hardly think that important and complex policy issues can be decided by referendum. The hooliganism that is attempting to disrupt public meetings and spread out right lies...is the problem.....not the government of the United States of America . I support my government and my country.....I am proud to be an American.....God Bless the USA!

Last edited by elston; 08-12-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies