Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

Poor Southern whites arent going to identify themselves as "Democrats".

Southern whites used to vote Dixiecrat but that changed in the early 60s for the reasons we all know; since then they all vote Republican.

Except a few smart, well-off, happy ones in the cities and burbs.

As long as we're generalizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's not just South Texas - about half (if not more, IIRC) of the babies born at Parkland Hospital in Dallas are anchor babies.
That's ok..healthcare reform will continue to pay for all the medical care of illegals.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And what seems so strange to me is . . . it is constantly asserted on this forum that "all Republicans are rich" . . . along with "all Southerners are conservative racists" . . . and then . . . "all uneducated people are Conservatives" . . .
That is funny; isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am constantly amazed at the tactics folks will use to try to prove that we Southerners are all a bunch of ignorant, uneducated haters.

Unbelievable.

Crazy assertions . . . they don't even make sense to me. This is what happens when folks stereotype a whole population of people based on region.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
By and large it's poor, uneducated, superstitious people who now embrace the "conservative" label. That's a shame, because there is a vibrant strand of historical intellectual conservatism of which those people are almost entirely ignorant.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It just tells me that most Americans are backward or prefer the status quo to making changes. Yippee. It's not surprising at all.

To me, there's no glory in being conservative. I thrive on new and challenging ideas. Conservatives thrive on doing nothing. They're scared of making any changes.
Maybe they just want to keep as much of the money they earn as possible.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well yes. They could use some economic help. I doubt they're culturally liberal. If they were better off financially, I'm sure they'd vote for Republicans.
True - they're not culturally liberal. There are Republican areas in Texas though that are more culturally liberal. TX has six counties that are among the 100 highest-income counties in the US - every last one is a GOP stronghold. People voting based on money rather than "social issues."

Texans tend to vote based on their money, with a possible exception of the 20% or so of the state's population that lives in rural areas.

My point was simply that Republican areas of the South are not necessarily poor and Democratic areas are not necessarily rich and that, in many cases, the reverse is true.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's ok..healthcare reform will continue to pay for all the medical care of illegals.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
By and large it's poor, uneducated, superstitious people who now embrace the "conservative" label. That's a shame, because there is a vibrant strand of historical intellectual conservatism of which those people are almost entirely ignorant.
True. The really old school, classic fiscally conservative, more or less social justice-minded Republicans that I know voted for Obama this go-round. They're appalled by what's crept over their Party and killed it since before 1993... before Reagan.... probably since Kennedy's assassination. The history of that decline is fascinating!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
I believe most of the posters commenting on how it is in the south, have never spent much time here. Your ilk certainly seem to be moving here in droves though so we obviously do something right in creating an attractive environment to live and work. Unfortunately, the population explosion will eventually lead to far more liberal elected officials bringing the same corruption, taxes, and other unintended consequences leading us to the same fate as the areas they left to begin with.
For the record, I am a fiscal conservative, and moderate on social issues. I do not care what color you are, what religon you practice, or who you find attractive. I do care about destroying an environment highly conducive to business, and greatly increasing taxes to cover more "job bank" government programs. The south is not near as "backward" as you want it to be, but feel free to stay in the dark. It is America, and that is your right.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
well my home state of Florida is the oddball of the South! Please do not call us "southerners" because we are not! We voted for Obama and put him in the White House! Look at our Governor Crist who is a Republican but not some right wing douche bag. If it weren't for Florida i couldn't live in any other southern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies