Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 02:06 AM

340 posts, read 745,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
John Wayne: draft-dodger, never a hero, only played one in film.

A true American icon.
Nice try, but not quite that simple...

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_004.html

Old 04-28-2007, 02:07 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
I just want to thank all the Liberal snivelers on this site for opening my eyes the rest of the way up... I cannot believe how you try to talk around how you really feel, and as soon as someone ( ie: A Conservative) tweaks you a little, you blow up and then your true hatred shines through loud and clear. Well, You can now consider me a target for your rants and hate, and I will work hard to earn every bit of it !!!!
In your statement, replace each "liberal" with "conservative" and vice versa and the meaning will remain unchanged. So, what does it accomplish? It's still a statement of hatred. Can't we be a little more constructive?

Old 04-28-2007, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
In your statement, replace each "liberal" with "conservative" and vice versa and the meaning will remain unchanged. So, what does it accomplish? It's still a statement of hatred. Can't we be a little more constructive?
I tried that, and got tired of being pissed on if I didn't agree with a Liberal viewpoint... I have always been conservative, but there are times when I don't completely agree with some conservative decisions... It seems like you either agree 100% one way or the other. I choose conservative...

Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
I tried that, and got tired of being pissed on if I didn't agree with a Liberal viewpoint... I have always been conservative, but there are times when I don't completely agree with some conservative decisions... It seems like you either agree 100% one way or the other. I choose conservative...
Thank you for your honesty. I understand the exasperation.

I think it's sad that we appear to be forced into one side or the other, as if there's no middle ground. I, too, swing from one side to the other depending on the issue. We as a society are focusing on the differences and, because of this distraction, the problems before us will never get solved. We spend so much time debating the problem in the least logical most divisive way that we miss the whole point! Blaming others doesn't solve the problem. I wish the media would stop promoting this bi-polar system of arguing. It's so stupid!

My father is a self-avowed conservative and we are at odds with each other. My heart pounds when certain subjects come up, but, to his credit, we are able to argue intelligently and passionately... and surprise, surprise! We both want the same things! It's only our assumptions that differ.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:26 AM

753 posts, read 759,250 times
Quote:
Nice try, but not quite that simple...

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_004.html
I read this and come to the same conclusion. Said he'd enlist, didn't follow through. Chose to make movies and entertain the troops instead.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
I read this and come to the same conclusion. Said he'd enlist, didn't follow through. Chose to make movies and entertain the troops instead.

Thanks.
He didn't hide out in Canada or violate any laws.. I'm sure he had his reasons for not following through with enlistment, such as supporting his family.. After all, enlistment is voluntary, and he was never ordered by law to enlist...

Old 04-28-2007, 02:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,269 times
Quote:
John Wayne: draft-dodger, never a hero, only played one in film.

A true American icon.
If you check your history, you will find that according to most sources, John Wayne wanted to enlist in the military. There are several reasons cited as to why he didn't, one of which states that he was rejected due to a previous football injury on his shoulder. Another was that he received a deferral because he had to support his family (as a married father of four). It is alleged that he later applied, but was deferred for support of the National Interest. This deferral was later revoked, then reinstated again at the urging of Republic Studios.

Here's another link to check out: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_364.html

He ended up serving his country by doing P.R. work in movies at the request of the U.S. Government. "Back to Bataan" is one such movie. He was asked to make that movie to help boost the morale of the military during World War 2. He also went on a three month entertainment tour of Pacific military bases in 1944.

He was a hero in real life, at least to some folks. He was a star on the Glendale (CA) High School Football team, and later on the USC Trojans football team. This is more of a hero than most folks ever become.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:21 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Thank you for your honesty. I understand the exasperation.

I think it's sad that we appear to be forced into one side or the other, as if there's no middle ground. I, too, swing from one side to the other depending on the issue. We as a society are focusing on the differences and, because of this distraction, the problems before us will never get solved. We spend so much time debating the problem in the least logical most divisive way that we miss the whole point! Blaming others doesn't solve the problem. I wish the media would stop promoting this bi-polar system of arguing. It's so stupid!

My father is a self-avowed conservative and we are at odds with each other. My heart pounds when certain subjects come up, but, to his credit, we are able to argue intelligently and passionately... and surprise, surprise! We both want the same things! It's only our assumptions that differ.
I think it's funny how we call ourselves one thing, thinking it's the opposite of something else, yet we really all want most of the same things. I used to dislike some of the things Rush Limbaugh would say about Democrats, because he painted all of them with the brush of liberalism. Then he would turn around and broadly paint all Republicans with the brush of conservatism. To him the terms Liberal & Democrat were synonymous, as were the terms Conservative & Republican.

I have found a simple quiz on line that tests people's political leaning, but does so in a way that is somewhat surprising. I think the results speak volumes about the political leaning of those taking it. The results may come as quite a surprise to many folks.

BTW, the site is promoted by the Libertarian Party. Here's the link:

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

I would be interested to hear the results of those taking the test.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,396 times
The puppies could not be democrats.
First they were not aborted.
Second they grow into dogs, loyal, honest, courageous, trusting. Democrats have none of these traits.
Dir Drill 1, "The Duke" and I have your back.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:06 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
I took the test, and no surprises I am within the 17.% of those taking the test--liberal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post

I have found a simple quiz on line that tests people's political leaning, but does so in a way that is somewhat surprising. I think the results speak volumes about the political leaning of those taking it. The results may come as quite a surprise to many folks.

BTW, the site is promoted by the Libertarian Party. Here's the link:

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

I would be interested to hear the results of those taking the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies