Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What an utter disgrace this attitude is to the uniform you once wore.

You can't be rational when faced with someone who isn't rational?

Please tell me you're no longer "serving". I don't want people like you "fighting" for me.
Although I don't agree with everything the person said he does have a valid point.
Conventional warfare works in a conventional war...
Having also served and bled for my country I don't agree with torturing a uniformed soldier. Nor do I agree with applying the Geneva convention to non-uniformed soldiers.
Many can say that they would never use torture no matter what. They are either Liars or deluded.
If your child is kidnapped and you catch the perp before the police? What if the perp has made claims of putting your child in box buried with only so many hours of air?
I would feed that SOB through a sausage grinder to get my kids location.
make no mistake most people are quite capable of doing such things given the correct motivation.
The animals we are fighting have less difficulty with such deeds. The proof is in the fingers being cutoff voters in Afghanistan.
Using retarded children as suicide bombers.
Beheading defenceless prisoners with dull knives.
This is who we are fighting. Treating them with respect and dignity is a joke to them. Should we torture them? Not my call.
I would start by housing them 1 large pig per 6x6 cell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 04:38 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

I would feed that SOB through a sausage grinder to get my kids location.
And your child would die. Great job, dad!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
Thank you. In my opinion, Democrats are way to soft on our security. There are times when you have to do what's necessary for your country's protection and freedom. Our military needs us behind them 100% and that's what the world should see.
Jesus, come ON. We're not living in the TV show "24" here.

Torture is not only wrong, but it is not RELIABLE. When somebody is waterboarding you or depriving you of sleep for a month, you'll say whatever is necessary to make it stop.

US military - yes they do torture. Abu Ghraib.
CIA - is that any more acceptable than if it were the military. they are a US govt agency. it is wrong.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:49 PM

654 posts, read 466,373 times
How effective is torture?

Quote:
WASHINGTON - FBI agents repeatedly warned military interrogators at the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, that their aggressive methods were legally risky and also likely to be ineffective, according to FBI memos made public Thursday
FBI warned Gitmo about interrogations - Security- msnbc.com

Quote:
Former FBI agent Ali Soufan also indicated that the harsh interrogation techniques may actually have hindered the collection of intelligence, causing a high-value prisoner to stop cooperating.
Soufan: CIA torture actually hindered our intelligence gathering | Salon News

Quote:
I ask Mueller: So far as he is aware, have any attacks on America been disrupted thanks to intelligence obtained through what the administration still calls “enhanced techniques�

“I’m really reluctant to answer that,†Mueller says. He pauses, looks at an aide, and then says quietly, declining to elaborate: “I don’t believe that has been the case.â€
Tortured Reasoning | vanityfair.com

Old 08-24-2009, 04:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
And your child would die. Great job, dad!
How do you know?
Would the police get results any better? If so how? By making them accept a public defender?
You made a statement now tell me how the police would succeed.
Oh a plea deal? Time off for giving up the location?
Lets see Someone is about to feed me feet first into a chipper shredder. Do I lie? Or hope that I might be spared if I confess the deed?
Conversly the cops. They will threaten to inject if the child dies. The perp knows very few death penalties are carried out. ( Unless you live in Texas or Florida). Pretty sure the perp would rather deal with the police than a chipper.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Just because it's not as radical as the other side uses doesn't make the torture right.

Torture comes in many flavours. All of them, no matter how harsh, is wrong in my opinion.
After World War II The Allies set up the Nuremberg Tribunals to establish just what was a WAR CRIME. Germans were hung for following orders, Japanese were hung for Waterboarding American Prisoners to find out information on imminent attacks. These rules were incorporated into the Nuremberg Doctrine. In 1951 the United States pushed the UN General Assembly into adopting those rules as International Law. That means that we are Treaty Bound to prosecute WAR CRIMINALS who violate the Nuremberg Doctrine.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

After World War II The Allies set up the Nuremberg Tribunals to establish just what was a WAR CRIME. Germans were hung for following orders, Japanese were hung for Waterboarding American Prisoners to find out information on imminent attacks. These rules were incorporated into the Nuremberg Doctrine. In 1951 the United States pushed the UN General Assembly into adopting those rules as International Law. That means that we are Treaty Bound to prosecute WAR CRIMINALS who violate the Nuremberg Doctrine.
Oh, quit livin' in the past! Those definitions are so quaint.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Oh, quit livin' in the past! Those definitions are so quaint.
So are Red Lights, but I stop for them. It's the law.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
I am so tired of hearing on the news about possible torture methods used by our military.
As far as I know, we have never beheaded anybody. Not just behead, but saw like a loaf of bread!
While we are at war, if they need to do things in order to extract information to prevent another 9/11, so what? A "mock execution"? Give me a break! We are not killing anybody. After what happened, a little humiliation and a little fear doesn't seem like much.
I'm beginning to wonder if when obama said "there would be transparency" if he really meant on what everybody else was doing.
When the news media reports on what the CIA or whatever department, is doing, our enemies also see everything, they don't need to know!
I just don't think obama gets it. There are some things the world doesn't need to know.
Obama is not the one that doesnt get it. You are.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
OH lord what a bunch of pansie a$$es this country has become. I served for more than a decade and I can tell you that the enemy does FAR worse than we will ever do. Mock exectution, using guns and drills as props... let me know the next time we behead a couple media members and air it on the net to get our point across. Until then suck it up. I hate the previous adminsitration...with a passion but SOME of the stuff they authorized is about fighting fre with fire. One cannot be rational when dealing with an irrational apponent.
Let me know the next time Al Qaeda uses fighter jets or drones or Apache helicopters to shoot up YOUR neighborhood or accidentally kill YOUR family members at a roadside checkpoint or bomb YOUR wedding party. Do you think an "I'm sorry" is going to suffice to someone who's family is gone forever?

Maybe you need to live under a foreign occupier to gain a greater understanding. Or you could just move to North Korea for a while.

Don't forget to write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies