Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:57 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

This is a perfect example of the name calling I have been pointing out. How does one have a rational discussion in this environment?
You first have a rational discussion by presenting some salient points. You can also rebut whatever assertions someone else makes that do not agree with your viewpoint.

Will you be doing this anytime soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 08:59 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You first have a rational discussion by presenting some salient points. You can also rebut whatever assertions someone else makes that do not agree with your viewpoint.

Will you be doing this anytime soon?
More of the same folks!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Jamie Lee Curtis: Say

I especially appreciated this person's response (in the "Comments" that follow the piece):

"I watch and read and feel greatly frustrated for our American neighbors. Who thought a debate on health care could get so damn ugly. I wonder what has happened to the America that most want to live in somewhere along the way your moral compass has gone haywire.

I thought I was the only one feeling this way that health care is a moral issue until I watched Bill Moyers on Bill Maher's show last night. He said it is a moral issue and why is America the only industrialized nation without universal health care. Wall street, insurance companies, politicians when did greed start to top caring for your fellow man?.

I live with illness have for over 25 years and I wonder how my life would be if I did not live in a country that has made health care a right. It has kept me alive because an insurance company would turn me down in a minute. I know that because I lost my life insurance overnight suddenly I was un-insurable only in Canada that means life insurance. Yet this debate stirs many emotions in me because illness does not discriminate Sen Kennedy knew that .illness is not limited to the poor it also affects the rich and everyone in between.

I pray that your country finds it's moral compass and does the right thing for all Americans."
What a bunch of hogwash. I'll echo the sentiments of who cares what a celebrity thinks, and add the sentiment of who cares what Canadians thinks. They can feel free to do what they want to their own country while the US picks up the tab for their safety and security as it has since the 1940s.

As for this claim that universal healthcare is a "moral issue" ....again hogwash. The problem here isn't a moral issue but a political one. First, there are wildly differing claims on what the actual number of uninsured Americans actually is today. The Democrats keep throwing around inflated claims of 45 - 50 million that have no basis in fact. More rational estimates, excluding illegal aliens and those who could have health insurance (but choose not to buy it or apply for existing programs), is only around 10 million. There are ways of covering those people without a big government takeover that adds to the tax burden on business and productive citizens.

The moral issue here is the expansion of government and ever increasing class warfare that extolls the virtue of the unproductive who pay little or no taxes while demonizing the productive who pay the vast percentage of taxes. To add insult to injury, the productive are insulted and impugned and called selfish, while demagogues discuss them paying their "fair share" while half the US population pays nothing.

Frankly, I'm disgusted by the fact that this country has moved away from our Constitution, and the concepts of individual achievement, personal responsibility, and the rights of individuals to keep what they earn. If there are morals that have been lost, they are the morals of working hard for what you want and not complaining that you're a victim because you don't get things handed to you on a silver platter at the expense of others.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times
Universal health care is just providing daycare for adults who won't take responsibility for themselves. Health care is a privilege, not a right. Sorry my little chalupas..time to pony-up like hard working Americans.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well at least you tried to answer....that's the first answer I ever got from repubs.

So you think we should just let the For-Profit-Not-Health-Care insurance companies rule America?

Just let them raise the cost and deny the service until....until when???
First, in spite of your declaration, I am not a republican. I do in general disagree with the majority of your posts however. This arises from actual thought.

As to what I think should be done, don't let the government control health care. They will, following all of their examples of control, just mess it up. I think that there would be some oversight set up to monitor health care, provide information on both the good and the bad aspects of it. But it should remain in the private sector.

I know that this is not something you proponents of UHC want because it entails leaving some freedom to the people.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Universal health care is just providing daycare for adults who won't take responsibility for themselves. Health care is a privilege, not a right. Sorry my little chalupas..time to pony-up like hard working Americans.
EVERYONE "pony's up", we HAVE to if we get sick. The problem is twofold:

1) Lack of choices.
2) Obscene cost.

BOTH can be remedied. The blue dog Democrats, working hand in glove with their fellow sold out constituents in the (entire) Republican Party are conspiring in concert to defeat this long overdue reform.

The insurance lobby has lots of money to spend on advertising. Advertising meant to spread disinformation and doubt

Old 08-30-2009, 09:15 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
EVERYONE "pony's up", we HAVE to if we get sick. The problem is twofold:

1) Lack of choices.
2) Obscene cost.

BOTH can be remedied. The blue dog Democrats, working hand in glove with their fellow sold out constituents in the entire Republican Party, are working in concert to defeat this long overdue reform.

The insurance lobby has lots of money to spend on advertising. Advertising meant to spread disinformation and doubt
And where is the tort reform? How much of the excess cost is due to trial lawyers and frivolous lawsuits? Why won't Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and our President deal with this most obvious contributing factor to rising costs?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Hollywood types need to be taxed much more than they are. Clinton gave them some special deal when he raised taxes on the hard working Americans.

Hollywood types will spend $30,000 on some designer gown or suit which they could send to someone in need of health care instead.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And where is the tort reform? How much of the excess cost is due to trial lawyers and frivolous lawsuits? Why won't Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and our President deal with this most obvious contributing factor to rising costs?
What is the overhead on Medicare?

Use that as your guide. This is why the insurance companies are terrified. If they have 20% "overhead" that YOU pay for, will CEO's continue to obsess over what kind of Corinthian leather to get put into their private planes? Or will they start to obsess over how they are going to compete with the public option to stay in business (i.e., providing reasonably priced coverage)

"Frivolous lawsuits" may have its place but not in this argument. This is about presenting another choice to Americans instead of only private insurance companies that do not provide affordable healthcare to millions of Americans

Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
[quote=saganista;10523747]
Quote:
Hmmm. Social Security reliably provides support to nearly 50 million retired and disabled Americans and their survivors and dependents at administrative cost rates that make index fund managers look like hogs.
Your government has taken so much of the funds of social security for their own uses that the system is on the verge of bankruptcy. This is reliable to you?

[quote]
Food stamps reliably provide support to nearly 30 million Americans at fraud and abuse rates of about 2%, much of that not by recipients, but by small businesses who have been authorized to accept food stamps.[quote]

Are these the same food stamps that are constantly being cited in the news as being fraudulently by millions, accessed by those not truly eligible for them and sold for drugs? 2%? BS, as is your claim of success.

[quote]
I wonder what track record it is that you are actually referring to?/QUOTE]

Obviously not the track record that is fabricated by the liberals to try and gain support for the very plans they opposed when the other side wanted them. Perhaps the true track record?

I forgot, truth is not something that you liberals are truly comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies