Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is having children a right or a privilege?
Yes, it's a right! 17 34.00%
No, it's a privilege! 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:40 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times

Advertisements

Ok! This is my first poll, so I hope I did this right.

Should having children be regarded as a right or a privilege?

Last edited by yayoi; 04-30-2007 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
There is no right more fundamental than the right to reproduce. That's our biological purpose in this world. The denial of that right is the epitomy of totalitarianism.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:52 AM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
well if you do I say its a responsibilty.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,700 times
Well, wouldn't you know it, speak of the devil and my post in regards to population control. Of course technically, it is a right but in reality it is a privilege in no uncertain terms, even if some don't recognize it as such. Can't feed them, don't breed them. Obviously it is easy to target the youngsters and the out-of-wedlock dilemma. But I also don't understand some people who would put themselves under financial and emotional durress to have a child or multiple children.
One case I recall at a town meeting some years ago: a town employee of all people, yes the public sector, had the audacity to complain about not receiving a wage increase from approx. $22,000 after two years via a tax increase. This individual stated that the councilmen and voters at-large should be "ashamed" at the fact that he could barely put food on the table for his two children and wife. Geez, I know it sounds so cruel and un-pc to state the obvious when children are involved, but remind me again who made the decision to have two children on a poverty-level income? I'm still also awaiting where these cost-of-living wages kick in for many of us "spolied folks" in the private sector that this individual was supposedly owed.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 PM

Red face Sorry I worded the poll wrong and made it biased.

Should having children be regarded as a right or a privilege?

For myself, having children is a privilege. I'm am not prepared emotionally or financially to be responsible for another life. I am willing to hold off on having kids if it's for the greater good.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:37 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,353 times
I wasnt sure if you meant legally or not, so I voted privilege because anyone who is healthy enough to have children and can support them is very privledged compared to many people who are suffering with various diseases in this world.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:53 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Saying childrearing is a right is an agreeable position. Labeling it a privilege is more appropriate because it attaches some degree of responsibility to it. There is no greater responsibility than raising a child, no job more important.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:53 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
IMO...

It's a right if you can afford to raise kids.

It's a privilege if you can not afford to raise them.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:06 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
The question which starts this thread is unfocused. The real question which is more rhetorical than objective is: Should it be the responsibility of other taxpayers to fund the raising of one's own children?
The obvious answer is: NO

Now the next logical question is... how, as taxpayers do we stop having to pay for other people's children?
The answer this thread presents through the topic description is: breeding control

Conclusion: This is a heated topic for which no politician in their right mind will address. Fundamentally you will not stop stupid people from having children; at least with anything ethical and morally acceptible. You cannot sterilize people without their consent, and since the only "free pleasure" most anyone on Earth can enjoy is sexual, you will be hard pressed to get people to do anything about this voluntarily (and there's something innately empowering about being fertile). Lastly, regarding the children - obviously once born, they are the innocent victims of circumstances... most anyone with a heart doesn't want to see them go hungry or homeless, so you cannot just stop paying for them.

I wish there was a simple solution to this issue, but I haven't seen or heard of it yet. Breeding control addresses this issue too head-on to ever be supported enmass.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
The question which starts this thread is unfocused. The real question which is more rhetorical than objective is: Should it be the responsibility of other taxpayers to fund the raising of one's own children?
The obvious answer is: NO

Now the next logical question is... how, as taxpayers do we stop having to pay for other people's children?
The answer this thread presents through the topic description is: breeding control

Conclusion: This is a heated topic for which no politician in their right mind will address. Fundamentally you will not stop stupid people from having children; at least with anything ethical and morally acceptible. You cannot sterilize people without their consent, and since the only "free pleasure" most anyone on Earth can enjoy is sexual, you will be hard pressed to get people to do anything about this voluntarily (and there's something innately empowering about being fertile). Lastly, regarding the children - obviously once born, they are the innocent victims of circumstances... most anyone with a heart doesn't want to see them go hungry or homeless, so you cannot just stop paying for them.

I wish there was a simple solution to this issue, but I haven't seen or heard of it yet. Breeding control addresses this issue too head-on to ever be supported enmass.
Thanks for your input but I did not want to make this just about who can afford to have children. Wealthy people can raise criminals. I wanted the poll to be a broad as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies