Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is having children a right or a privilege?
Yes, it's a right! 17 34.00%
No, it's a privilege! 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:20 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,354 times

Advertisements

The correct answer is, IT'S BOTH...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,105 times
Reproducing is a right. To say it's a privilege would lead us down a dangerous path where a government could require or enforce limitations, like they have in China. But like any right, there can be reasonable limitations. If for example a mother is on welfare and as 12 children, and she clearly can't support, them a judge could reasonably order her to stop having children until she can afford them.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
[quote=citigirl;647782]I could not afford my child when I had her and worked hard to make ends meet. If I had to take a quess I would suspect you have no children. I would also guess that you may think people that were poor at one time in their life have no possibility to progress and give their child all the advantages life has to offer.

I also wonder how you feel about parents that have children, suffer some devastating financial loss and can no longer support their children? What do you suggest be done with these children?[/QUOTE

I do feel that people that can/could not support their children have no business getting pregnant to begin with. If some catastrophe happens and you can't work any longer, I think you should get help, but if you are already starting out thinking someone else, the taxpayers, need to support your children, I just don't think that is fair. And no, I do not have children, used birth control to prevent having unwanted children when I couldn't have afforded them.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,719 times
I always wanted more children but I lived under the fear of what if something happened and I ended up back on welfare. By the time I remarried I felt my child was too old to start all over.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:19 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,589 times
Think about all of those children whose parents used their right to reproduce, but don't take the responsiblilty of raising them. Even worse are the parents who continually abuse this right by reproducing quantities of children only to pawn them off on relatives, friends, or the streets. These people need to have their rights or privileges revoked.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
I don't have any kids. I always felt this was a rational decision on my part.

I didn't have enough money and both of us had a bad history of medical problems in our families. I didn't think it would be right to produce children who were almost sure to have serious health issues.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
"I do have concern about those people who make a conscious decision to have kids and expect government assistance."

I agree with you on this. When I had my daughter was in the 70's when the auto industry went down there was no work. I found myself in abject poverty and sitting on welfare. The first moment I was able to get enough money together I left the state and went where I could find work. Some people have no choice but to live on welfare but I found it a demoralizing wretched way to live.
I respect and commend you for turning your situation into something positive for yourself and your daughter.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 PM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
I'm surprised by the voting for this poll. So far, 12 people don't think that bearing children is a right, it's a privilege. You do realize that the government can revoke privileges, correct? So those 12 people who voted privilege, you're basically saying you advocate the government saying who can and can't have kids. I really am surprised people are voting this way.

Or maybe people don't understand the difference between right and privilege?

Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I'm surprised by the voting for this poll. So far, 12 people don't think that bearing children is a right, it's a privilege. You do realize that the government can revoke privileges, correct? So those 12 people who voted privilege, you're basically saying you advocate the government saying who can and can't have kids. I really am surprised people are voting this way.

Or maybe people don't understand the difference between right and privilege?
This poll didnt mention government at all, we were just discussing the abililty to bear children and reproduce. I dont think anyone can take that for granted.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 PM

20 posts, read 39,364 times
I agree. It is a right and a privilege. One can raise happy, healthy children in proverty and nut jobs in wealth. What about a reversable visectomy for all boys. The will still have the right and then the privilege when the desire becomes real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies