Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:27 PM

177 posts, read 456,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not at all. I'm Catholic....but have never lived in a country 'ruled' by the Catholic church...(nor would I want to). My wife's Indian....but has never lived under tribal law...nor taken orders from a 'chief', nor lived as a nomad. Many of my relatives are of Mexican descent...but live as Americans, with the protection of American law, and the US court system. My niece is Japanese, but doesn't live as such...and my god-daughter is black, yet does not live as an African. ALL of the people I know, in my family and acquaintances, live under 'American' cultural norms, enjoying 'American' freedoms, under a legal system originally BASED on English Common law (but actually an improvement on that). The deed to my house...(and the property of EVERYONE who lives in the US) is described in terms of the land-survey system of the US....derived from British concepts of private property. In fact, many scholars on the subject have insisted that our entire US 'system' is based on the right to own, buy, sell, and use, private property....again, a notion derived from English common law.

Tell me, please...what is "white" culture? I'm not aware of what that means. Are there 'white' laws?....or 'white' rules of behavior? Is there a 'white' language, forbidden for non-whites to speak? Can you name a 'white' holiday...or a 'white' way of doing math? What exactly is 'white' culture, and is it unavailable to non-whites?
You're conflating two things here. To cut the story short, certain segments of the US population were systematically frozen out of what you'd consider normal American life for more than a 100 years. To now say that we all shared a culture is a spit in the face of people who came before me. Also, I did not make any reference to white culture or anything but I believe the argument about how modern mainstream American culture is geared towards whites versus non-whites has been done to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 04:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I will admit that I am concerned and interested in preserving European/Western ideals in America.

That's because I'm pretty much a social libertarian. There is (almost) no such thing as "too much personal freedom" in my book.

But, it's also where multiculturalism becomes a paradox for the liberal.... what do you do when the oppressed minority culture held so high on a pedestal is itself a close minded, socially backward culture that doesn't necessarily subscribe to pluralism, though it demand acceptance from the predominant culture?!?

So um... yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that I too am concerned about preserving Western Civilization and what it stands for. I guess I just don't buy the underlying thesis that a decline in dogmatic Christian values is the end of America.
I agree with you to a large degree. What does a 'multiculturlist' do when he encounters a culture that hates HIS culture? So we Americans 'got the message' a few years ago, and have now decided that 'all cultures are 'good'..everyone out there is our 'friend'...and all immigrants show up here eager to 'be Americans'?...hmmm..are we SURE? Have we actually ASKED them, or are we simply assuming they feel as eager to embrace 'us' as we are to embrace 'them'?

'Multiculturalism', it seems to me, would HAVE to assume a mutual 'respect' from all parties involved. I think we'd better do a lot more checking, before we can safely assume that such is the case.

It would be great FUN to throw open your home to 'any and all' who pass by, as a sort of good-will gesture to the public...a 'no-rules open house', if you will. And I'm sure that 80% of your 'guests' who passed through would like you...be thankful...and feel positive toward you. But there's ALSO the possibility that 10% of them might 'steal you blind'...and a few might even physically harm you. A total 'open house' is probably NOT the wisest way to impress the public....and neither, in my opinion, is a totally 'open country'. You have to use a LITTLE common sense and discretion...failing to do so would be hopelessly naive.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:40 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Don't forget that women were excluded as well, despite Betsy Ross, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony and Clara Barton, and the women who did the back-breaking work of homesteading. Buchanan has many times displayed misogyny as well as other prejudices. As long as the works of Rome and Greece are preserved and studied, there will be a white, European-based culture.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:44 PM

I personally don't give Pat B much thought. As far as I'm concerned, he's a bigot so I stay out of his lane. What I do find amusing is the posts above yours. These folks talking about how multiculturalism is evil and all that. You know that's code for all non-whites should drop their cultural norms and assimilate into the mainstream (white).

Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShrek View Post
You're conflating two things here. To cut the story short, certain segments of the US population were systematically frozen out of what you'd consider normal American life for more than a 100 years. To now say that we all shared a culture is a spit in the face of people who came before me. Also, I did not make any reference to white culture or anything but I believe the argument about how modern mainstream American culture is geared towards whites versus non-whites has been done to death.
Agreed....so how do you propose to make things right, now? What new legal system, or new system of rights of individuals, or rules guranteeing racial equality, would you institute to replace the system we now have? Would your new system be 'based' on any previous model...or would you just 'make it up' on the spot? How would you get all of the rest of us to agree to live by your new system? Would your new system protect ALL of us...or just the people close to you? How would your new system be more 'flexible' than the system we already use?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Agreed....so how do you propose to make things right, now? What new legal system, or new system of rights of individuals, or rules guranteeing racial equality, would you institute to replace the system we now have? Would your new system be 'based' on any previous model...or would you just 'make it up' on the spot? How would you get all of the rest of us to agree to live by your new system? Would your new system protect ALL of us...or just the people close to you? How would your new system be more 'flexible' than the system we already use?
I've never even suggested replacing anything. Like a lot of things in life, improvements and upgrades should be made to already existing strong systems. However, you'd first have to agree that the system is flawed. The system should be fair to everyone of us and just even to the voiceless. Get my drift?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I personally don't give Pat B much thought. As far as I'm concerned, he's a bigot so I stay out of his lane. What I do find amusing is the posts above yours. These folks talking about how multiculturalism is evil and all that. You know that's code for all non-whites should drop their cultural norms and assimilate into the mainstream (white).
What 'cultural norms' do you feel that people are pressuring you to drop? Are people telling you what to eat? What to think? What music to like? What clothes to wear? Are people forbidding you to practice your religion? Are people cautioning you against revenge killings, cannibalism, human sacrifice, or beating your wife, or blowing up your religious rivals? What, exactly, are you feeling pressured to "do"....and NOT to do? Can you be specific? Are any of these things you feel you SHOULD be able to do, but are forbidden to? Are there things you DON'T want to do...but feel forced to do?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I've never even suggested replacing anything. Like a lot of things in life, improvements and upgrades should be made to already existing strong systems. However, you'd first have to agree that the system is flawed. The system should be fair to everyone of us and just even to the voiceless.
Of course...no argument there, at all....

Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
What 'cultural norms' do you feel that people are pressuring you to drop? Are people telling you what to eat? What to think? What music to like? What clothes to wear? Are people forbidding you to practice your religion? Are people cautioning you against revenge killings, cannibalism, human sacrifice, or beating your wife, or blowing up your religious rivals? What, exactly, are you feeling pressured to "do"....and NOT to do? Can you be specific? Are any of these things you feel you SHOULD be able to do, but are forbidden to? Are there things you DON'T want to do...but feel forced to do?
lol @ this.
Google is your friend sir.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:11 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
I think Buchanan's real worry is nobody's paying attention to him anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies