Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times

Advertisements

Most of the brainpower that built this country concentrated on getting government monopolies, development money or land subsidies before they would invest a dime. I refer to Canals, Turnpikes and cross country Railroads.

Pat Buchanan may be a raciest, even though class is evidently more important to him, but he is definitely a fool. And wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Question for Pat... Was Jesus a White/European?
In the MOVIES...of COURSE he was....and the evil Romans all spoke with British accents. And the Indians all spoke English, too, as they conspired to make war on the 'white eyes'.

But in real life? No....Jesus was neither a white European, nor was he an American....He DID, though, talk a lot about personal responsibility, being grateful for what one had, and one's duty to his fellow man. He applied these rules to everyone of every race; there is no indication anywhere that Jesus held any particular race responsible for any other race.

He ALSO said a LOT about hypocrisy....and that, I'm sure, would include those who don't give a "flying %%#@" about the teachings of Jesus, suddenly citing him as an example in a cheap, emotional internet argument.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
And that is both amazing and revealing of a basic American hypocrisy. People who think this way hate when Latinos speak Spanish, especially the ones who are obviously nonwhite. They get mad when African Americans insist on calling themselves African Americans and name their kids non-European names. Then they get po'd when colored folks want to live in their neighborhoods, work alongside them in the same offices, or marry their daughters.

Can't have it both ways, guys.
I agree with much of what Buchanan says. I'm white. I speak Spanish myself; I'm married to a non-white whose parents spoke Spanish. I've had black friends in my home, gone on vacation with them, and I actually heard them use the term "African American". One of these "AA's" even asked me to be the god-father for her daughter, which I was honored to do, 22 years ago. (She had a non-European name, too). I've worked with "colored folks" of all SORTS of colors, and my daughter is married to a guy colored "red" (American Indian)....and I've managed to survive ALL this, withour getting 'P.O'd".

And I STILL think we live under a legal system designed and instituted under European ideals of freedom...and I STILL don't want to trade it in for some OTHER system, designed somewhere else. I'm a Catholic, and I don't even want to live in a CATHOLIC society....I like the one we have.

I'm not sure whether you'd consider me 'PO'd' or not....

Old 09-14-2009, 09:58 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,907,435 times
"E pluribus unum" is happening right now ... after 200 and some odd 30 years America finally gets it ... And the separatist old Europian elite just can't handle it or even try to get on board with it.

When you take a country like the United States, who's history is mired in all of the seedy details of racism and merge it into "E pluribus unum", this is what you get ... Tired old racist preachers all up in arms.

Pat needs to get over himself.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
"E pluribus unum" is happening right now ... after 200 and some odd 30 years America finally gets it ... And the separatist old Europian elite just can't handle it or even try to get on board with it.

When you take a country like the United States, who's history is mired in all of the seedy details of racism and merge it into "E pluribus unum", this is what you get ... Tired old racist preachers all up in arms.

Pat needs to get over himself.
I'm not so sure. "e Pluribus Unum"? That's what we USED to have...today? More like "e pluribus etiamnum pluribus". We have PLENTY of "pluribus"....but I don't see much "unum", in our future...I COULD be wrong, of course...

Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
what i like about pat buchanan was that he saw the disadvantage to america of free trade and has been railing against these "free trade" agreements, although the press minimized him because they like free trade!

i think time has borne out the fact that mr. buchanan was correct!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Multi-culturalism isn't evil but neither is the idea of the melting pot. We have rejected the historically sound melting pot model and are well on our way to becoming a fruit basket country that is destined for a life of instability before it breaks apart.
You COULD be onto something there. As far as I know, there is NO example of any society, anytime in the past, that enjoyed a free, prosperous, benign' liberal lifestyle AND had a multicultural society. The very notion is less than 40 years old...and today, the larg majority of the world's population would look at 'multiculturalism' as simply nonsense. They HAVE a culture, of their own, and see no reason to 'accomodate' others. If 'others' wish to join them, these 'others' are expected to conform. ONLY in 'The West ', as we might say.

The world is FULL of countries...(and EX-countries) which tried....and failed...to include 2, 3, or more cultural systems within one country. Some no longer exist, having broken into their component 'pieces'. Some continue under brutal authoritarian governments, having no freedom to disagree with each other..and some, as we speak, today, are engaged in years-long 'ethnic cleansing' warfare..because, though they live in the same country, they just can't STAND the cultures of their neighbors.

Pretty dismal track record, I'm afraid, this notion of 'multiculturalism'. So we now suddenly feel that disparate, mutually-antagonistic groups, from all over the world, will now be able to 'show up' here....will NOT be expected to assimilate to any US culture...will NOT be asked to 'change'...yet will all "like" us Americans..AND "like" each OTHER? And we'll all live happily ever after? Boy, would I like THAT one explained! I just don't get it.

Cultures don't hold each other in high regard...they hold THEMSELVES i high regard. Cultures don't look at other cultures as "equals"...they look at each other as "different". A wide variety of cultures works FINE, across an ocean...or across a mountain range...or across a border. But across a backyard fence? Or across a street? A variety of cultures would imply a variety of behaviors, and ways of looking at things..AND reasons for getting insulted. Good luck with THAT !!...

Culture is behavior. People get irritated, insulted, annoyed, and angry at 'behavior' they see as inappropriate. And 'appropriateness' is a term dependent on 'the culture of the beholder'. One man's 'statement' is another man's outrageous lie. And BOTH parties are "right".

Good luck....we'll need it.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
I believe that Pat Buchanan is a realist, not a racist.

He's simply concerned that the brainpower and initiative that built this country are traits that aren't very prevalent in societies that are concerned primarily for what they can get from the government. This country never would have become so great if the mentality of the founding people was based on self interest and greed.
Considering that the Native Americans' land was taken from them forcibly, and that the U.S. government has never honored any treaties with these nations, I find this statement naive, ignorant and laughable.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree with much of what Buchanan says. I'm white. I speak Spanish myself; I'm married to a non-white whose parents spoke Spanish. I've had black friends in my home, gone on vacation with them, and I actually heard them use the term "African American". One of these "AA's" even asked me to be the god-father for her daughter, which I was honored to do, 22 years ago. (She had a non-European name, too). I've worked with "colored folks" of all SORTS of colors, and my daughter is married to a guy colored "red" (American Indian)....and I've managed to survive ALL this, withour getting 'P.O'd".

And I STILL think we live under a legal system designed and instituted under European ideals of freedom...and I STILL don't want to trade it in for some OTHER system, designed somewhere else. I'm a Catholic, and I don't even want to live in a CATHOLIC society....I like the one we have.

I'm not sure whether you'd consider me 'PO'd' or not....
Well, as I said earlier, there are many whites who don't share your views, and there are many who do. There was no indictment of those who need no indictment, only of those who wish for "us" to be like "them" and then go out of their way to make sure that never happens.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'm not so sure. "e Pluribus Unum"? That's what we USED to have...today? More like "e pluribus etiamnum pluribus". We have PLENTY of "pluribus"....but I don't see much "unum", in our future...I COULD be wrong, of course...
When did we ever have "e Pluribus Unum?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies