Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
I agree with you. Why should white Americans apologize for the greatest society that ever existed in the history of the Earth so far? This country was settled by 90% whites and of course some blacks and a few others. Should we apologize for that? It was the freest and most prosperous and the best country to ever live in thus far in the history of the world. It was a country created in the fear of the Lord God almighty Himself regardless of what the whacked out public school teachers are telling the younger generation. And you think diversity is good? What happened in the former Yugoslavia that was so diverse in culture and religion? Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to make me apologize for being white or for what this nation was for the past 250 years or so. Pat Buchanan is right. We are being torn apart by diversity, not made better by it. I puke when I read all the jobs ads on the internet, "we are a company that values diversity and blah blah blah". The democrats are pushing this diversity crap on us because they want a lock on minority votes, and republicans don't challenge them because of our horrendous abortion problem for the past 35 years. They want replacements (non-whites) to hold down wages and not make labor so scarce.
I think you've misunderstood me. I don't attibute America's greatness to "whiteness". I attribute it to our SYSTEM...That system is unique, (or WAS at its inception), and it's that tradition of personal autonomy, government BY the people, freedom of conscience, and freedom of choice, and "checks" upon the power of the state, in favor of the rights of the individual, that has set us apart from the WHOLE WORLD when the nation was founded..and MOST of the world, even today.

America wasn't started with "whiteness" in mind..it was started with freedom in mind. The people who started it weren't just a group of 'generic whites'...they were a very small, select 'splinter group' of people who HAPPENED to be English-speakers. No other group "started" the system..not Arabs, not Chinese, not Africans, and not MOST whites, either...just those few. Not Muslims, not Catholics, not Hindus, either. Not Russians, Scandinavians, or Lithuanians, either. ALL the rest of us (including my own ancestors) came here and benefitted by that SYSTEM. It's the SYSTEM that drew the immigrants, not the 'whiteness'.

I'm a Catholic. Though I'm white, MY group didn't "start" America..(we had an AWFUL record of running countries)...we came here and took advantage of the system that had been put in place.

My spouse isn't white. My kids aren't white. My grandkids aren't white. (They come in SEVERAL shades). But ALL of us benefit by that system originally put in place. That legal framework that allows ALL of us to live side-by-side without conflict, ethnic struggles, and religious strife, is what I mean when I talk about the American "culture". The food, the music, the art..those things are just superficial. What makes this nation POSSIBLE is its culture of "laws before ethnic ties"....and that's still a fairly rare concept in most of the world. Without such a system, we'd be just like any other Third World 'hell hole'.

We'd better hang on to that system...whether we're "white" or any OTHER color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I agree that both views are disgusting but I think you've gotten the definition of white supremacy a little off. There is nothing wrong with a civilization recognizing (or at least claiming) that it is the most advanced. Sociological learning curves DO vary, as they are a result of nurture instead of nature. How has Western civilization collectively invented so many things, produced so many fine items of culture, been so successful in coming up with new governments (democracy), etc, etc if not for some inherent advantage buried in its culture or psyche? The Muslim caliphates had tremendous advances in mathematics, science, and medicine, and the Chinese were once very inventive and commercially savvy (still are). Yet Western civ has the most to show for itself and this has nothing to do with racism. Culturalism if anything, but not racism.

The part in bold is more accurate definition, as is the belief that someone who is white is somehow better than someone else by virtue of their race is "White supremacist".
We had a ROUSING thread about 'White Guilt' long ago on this forum..lots of input. (I suppose it's still in the archives).I recall at the time stating that, while it certainly exists, I preferred to call it 'Western, post-Protestant, liberal-secular guilt'. Although nearly ALL 'sufferers' are white, MANY white societies seem pretty much immune. It's product of liberal, Protestant tradition, with a heavy overlay of 'secularism'....not 'whiteness'. Interesting subject, though.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 PM

140 posts, read 270,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I think you've misunderstood me. I don't attibute America's greatness to "whiteness". I attribute it to our SYSTEM...That system is unique, (or WAS at its inception), and it's that tradition of personal autonomy, government BY the people, freedom of conscience, and freedom of choice, and "checks" upon the power of the state, in favor of the rights of the individual, that has set us apart from the WHOLE WORLD when the nation was founded..and MOST of the world, even today.

America wasn't started with "whiteness" in mind..it was started with freedom in mind. The people who started it weren't just a group of 'generic whites'...they were a very small, select 'splinter group' of people who HAPPENED to be English-speakers. No other group "started" the system..not Arabs, not Chinese, not Africans, and not MOST whites, either...just those few. Not Muslims, not Catholics, not Hindus, either. Not Russians, Scandinavians, or Lithuanians, either. ALL the rest of us (including my own ancestors) came here and benefitted by that SYSTEM. It's the SYSTEM that drew the immigrants, not the 'whiteness'.

I'm a Catholic. Though I'm white, MY group didn't "start" America..(we had an AWFUL record of running countries)...we came here and took advantage of the system that had been put in place.

My spouse isn't white. My kids aren't white. My grandkids aren't white. (They come in SEVERAL shades). But ALL of us benefit by that system originally put in place. That legal framework that allows ALL of us to live side-by-side without conflict, ethnic struggles, and religious strife, is what I mean when I talk about the American "culture". The food, the music, the art..those things are just superficial. What makes this nation POSSIBLE is its culture of "laws before ethnic ties"....and that's still a fairly rare concept in most of the world. Without such a system, we'd be just like any other Third World 'hell hole'.

We'd better hang on to that system...whether we're "white" or any OTHER color.
I think you misunderstand me. I never said America was great because she was white. I just said that it evolved that way, and I don't think God made a mistake when that happened. As such I don't apologize for America being setteled by white people.

All your other intellectual musings are just gibberish. Michael Savage is right that liberalism is a mental disorder. That's what happens you believe there is no God or you believe that He isn't involved.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 PM

I saw this cartoon while riding in the back on the bus in Seattle in 1998. It was a cartoon by Horsey in the Seattle Post Intelligencer. I showed it to a black guy who was riding back there with me, and he wasn't too amused by it.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Exactly. My own family demonstrates this...several races; MANY ethnicities....one basic American culture. Thanks for "getting" this...America isn't a 'herditary' society; it's not organized around a religion or a race; it's an artificial, man-made 'construct'....a culture that ANYONE can belong to, who wants to. The key word is 'wanting' to......
Sir, you are living in a fantasy world. America is certainly a Christian nation, and always was a Christian nation. 80% of us claim to be Christian. And at one time it was 90% white, but it's probably down to 70% white now. Certainly that is a majority that even you can understand. So America was organized around a particular religion and a particular race. 70% and 80% says so. Can you not understand simple mathmatics like this? You do have your occasional lucid moments though.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:10 PM

411 posts, read 468,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
macmeal - you're right. he's not a racist, he's a xenophobe.

selective xenophope, if I may......

Now really, who cares about what this clown says, he is a nobody with a crappy part time job, at least limbaugh who is another ignorant nutcase makes a lot of money with his network for the red neck.

If these subjects were really so important, the radical right would be a heavy hitter in the elections, but that's not the case, when buchanan ran for president only his sister voted for him, and that because she is also crazy, LOL.........

Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 PM

103 posts, read 147,977 times
Quote:
I saw this cartoon while riding in the back on the bus in Seattle in 1998. It was a cartoon by Horsey in the Seattle Post Intelligencer. I showed it to a black guy who was riding back there with me, and he wasn't too amused by it.

how true newsweek sept.issue .about race and how white kids should be told to feel guilty about themelves

Old 09-14-2009, 11:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Sir, you are living in a fantasy world. America is certainly a Christian nation, and always was a Christian nation. 80% of us claim to be Christian. And at one time it was 90% white, but it's probably down to 70% white now. Certainly that is a majority that even you can understand. So America was organized around a particular religion and a particular race. 70% and 80% says so. Can you not understand simple mathmatics like this? You do have your occasional lucid moments though.
No sire, America is not a "Christian Nation". It happens to have a nation where majority of the populace is Christian. This is not unlike India, which is not a Hindu nation (there's only country that claims as such, and it is Nepal), even though more than 80% of India's population follows Hinduism.

There's something about the first amendment that, clearly, remains to be understood.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:10 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
[quote=decafdave;10759245]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post

1. I understand that fine but your statement was calling out white America for something done only by a few. Clearly a racist statement.
If you know about American history, you would understand that it has been more than "a few."

Quote:
2. What is ludicrous-the statement I made? I suppose I should spell it out for you:I made that statement ridiculous on purpose for the point of showing you how ridiculous your generalizations are.
That would be great - if I actually generalized.

Quote:
Very few whites want to deny black people the same social status. They seem like a lot to you because you probably seek them out to justify your anger.
One is too many.

Anger does not exist in a vacuum. Anger is a direct result of experience.

Quote:
We do want everyone to somewhat conform to American ideals though, as multiculturalism has never been stable in the long-run in human history.
No hypocrisy there.
How do you define "conforming to American ideals"?

Old 09-15-2009, 07:19 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Europe was once strongly Christian too. Eventually, most nations grew out of the superstitious nonsense. It's called progression. It's what happens in developed nations that advance and throw out ridiculous things of the past.

And don't get me started with the "American culture" issue. It's nothing more than middle-aged White males who are angry that they aren't the only ones who control pop culture now. I guess when Larry the Cable Guy says "Git-R-Done" or Jeff Foxxworthy releases a Redneck Dictionary that "Teaches you to read gooder faster" (those are the exact words on the cover), that's American, but let a Black person say "I don't got" or a Mexican mix Spanish words in with their English, and suddenly they don't speak proper American English. English is a largely hybrid language anyway. English has borrowed words from more languages than you can count.

I do realize though that this is just people who are saying the same BS over and over nearly every decade. Remember, a long time ago, the Irish and Italians were a threat to "American culture". And Catholicism was a threat to US, which was majority Protestant at the time. Same cycle. Different groups targeted. Not much new.

Ebonics is NOT proper english and it should never be recognized as such. I will not hire someone who speaks that way. Someone who speaks in that fashion simply does not sound professional. There is a right way and awrong way to talk in a work setting. This is not open to debate.

To be fair, I would never hire someone who speaks like Larry the Cable Guy either. Unless he was selling me propane or bait or somethign I can't imagine wanting to do business with someone who said "Wooooooooooo!" and "Dagummit, Git er Dun!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies