Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:09 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
Is this overall drug use as all of america and you separated blacks from that count. black pop. 13% black drug use 13% that can't be right?
Different sources give different stats, but none deny the disparity.

Freespace: Racial disparities in drug enforcement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Where did you arrive at this conclusion?

According to the CDC, National Vital Statistics Report from 2005, Heart Attacks were the leading cause of death. "Murder" was not in the top ten.
He didn't say all people. He didn't say all blacks. He didn't even say all black men. Read his post again. He said all young black men. I forget the age range but the poster is correct.

For some reason you think that 'Heart Attacks' are the leading cause of death for young black men say age 15 - 24? **giggle** Put on your thinking cap my friend.

- Reel

Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM

294 posts, read 412,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Different sources give different stats, but none deny the disparity.

Freespace: Racial disparities in drug enforcement
Thx I'll check it out

Old 09-22-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
Thx I'll check it out

This documentary was on Independent Channel recently; it's worth watching.

American Drug War: The Last White Hope - War on Drugs

Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
[quote=dorado0359;10870823][quote=Reelist in Atlanta;10870242]That may be true. However, I don't think the drug use in the white suburbs is accompanied by the violence, poverty, illegitimacy, high school drop out rate, etc the way it is in the black community.
Quote:

Neither is drug usage in suburban black communities accompanied by violence, poverty, etc. The point is that stories regarding white drug usage, violence, poverty and illegitimacy goes unreported by the media.
What a minute! First you agree that suburban white and black communities do not have the violence, poverty, etc then you say that it goes unreported? What the heck! How can they report on it if it doesn't exist! Whatever you're smoking I want some.

- Reel

Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
A pervasive problem in white America is illegal drug use. More and more of our children are lost to this problem and it transcends eco/social status.

Higher income families have just as many problems as the lower income families. The difference is they can afford attorneys.

Higher income families do not have remotely the problems with crimes of desperation (such as drug dealing or theft), low quality education, street violence and gang infiltration, or domestic violence.

However, low income whites are fairly similiar to low income families of all races in these respects. The issue is that minority families are far more likely to be in poverty.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
White Americans and Social Problem
The social problems of the white Americans I know:

Does my tie match?
Metro, Cab or Bus?
Sushi or Italian?
IBM or Apple?
iPhone or Blackberry?
XBox or PS3?

Seriously. The majority of poor white America are rural and they typically do not suffer the violence seen in the inner cities. As randomdude said, they have similiar problems to all the other low income families: alcoholism, drug addiction, and pregnancy (minus ultra-violence).

Old 09-22-2009, 04:42 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post

Does my tie match?
Metro, Cab or Bus?
Sushi or Italian?
IBM or Apple?
iPhone or Blackberry?
XBox or PS3?
Don't forget: Mercedes or BMW?

Last edited by dorado0359; 09-22-2009 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 09-22-2009, 04:50 PM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post

Does my tie match?
Metro, Cab or Bus?
Sushi or Italian?
IBM or Apple?
iPhone or Blackberry?
XBox or PS3?

Seriously. The majority of poor white America are rural and they typically do not suffer the violence seen in the inner cities. As randomdude said, they have similiar problems to all the other low income families: alcoholism, drug addiction, and pregnancy (minus ultra-violence).
Honestly, this list is reflective of many people who are not in poverty regardless of race. I'm not white, and neither are the majority of my friends, but I can say that I've had this conversation countless times with many of them.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:00 PM

Quoted from mossomo:
Seriously. The majority of poor white America are rural and they typically do not suffer the violence seen in the inner cities. As randomdude said, they have similiar problems to all the other low income families: alcoholism, drug addiction, and pregnancy (minus ultra-violence). [End quote]
You are so right. As one who lives in a rural and poverty-ridden county, the largest problem is meth.
With very few jobs available, meth is a guaranteed income. It has increased the crime rate here, although there is minimal violence. The effect on the children of makers and users is horrific. As in the inner-cities, poverty is the key factor.

Meth a Growing Menace in Rural America : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies