Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

There's an old saying that there is a war for every generation. Viet Nam was mine. Afghanistan/Iraq seems to by my kids' generation (to fight). I was an infant when the Korean War started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:15 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
I remember watching the film (old one) "All Quiet On the Western front." It was a very good movie.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Ike sent advisors...JFK and Dumbo Ears sent the troops..get your facts straight...

Get YOUR facts straight!

Sending advisors IS getting us involved!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
You're either naive or playing dumb. Get off of your high horse, you know BOY is derrogatory terminology for a black man, don't try play stupid with others here.

Well, there's another alternative, eliminate 'playing'.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:22 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
No op, what weakens this country is stupidity, as evidenced on this forum constantly.
Go to school please, instead of playing on dad's computer.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Great point and the way to move our country forward is not to close the boarders to free-trade or set up tariffs on foreign imports, it is to accept for the time being, that developing countries currently have a "comparative advantage" in providing cheap labor for manufacturing activities, so the President by attempting to enhance the number of doctors, scientiest, and othe white collar professions is doing the right thing. Our comparative advantage in the world future gloabl economy will not immiediately rely on the blue collar workforce, but will heavily depend on the increasing large educated work force to provide those high level skills and talents to these emerging economies.

Let the chinese opress their own people through lack of free trade or depressed wages over a significant period of time. At some point their people will rebel against the system and they will experience the ups and downs living in a democratic republic. In all honesty it would seem to me the republican and democratic parties as it currently stands are both extremely interested in pushing and bringing communism to this country and global ownership. I cannot say whether the two are bad or good, but i can say with certainty both parties are pushing toward this and people need to recognize it. The inevitiable is upon us. However, as long as they argue over the insignificant they'll be blind to the reality of what is really going on.

My dad told me all throughout high school i was not competing with kids in my local town, county, state, country, but with other children of the world, because the economy he lived in will not be the economy i live in, and most of the younger generation of people realize this. Whether the older generation realizes it or accepts it is to be seen, but the new generation of young people both consrvatives and liberals are extremely motivated to get out there and vote. The older generation will experience our determination to vote and will recognize us as a formidable foe, which if you consider the election of Obama, it was highly backed by a younger individual vote, so our power is already starting to show (not that i voted for him, but fact is a lot of other younger voters did). The younger generation is (i do not want to be too presumptious for all other young people) more concerned with the big issues and not these small partisian issues, that serve no economic, moral, or progressive good for our country. Let the older generation latch onto such trivial matters as race, gender, political affliation, country of origin, sexuality, and many other non-sensical useless topics that are debated adnosum. We will be the generation both conservative and liberal that combine the best of both of what our individual minds have to offer for the greater good of not only America, but the World! We will be the problem solvers! "NOW SHUT UP AND GET OUT OF THE WAY, SO WE CAN START TO CLEAN UP THE OLDER GENERATIONS MESS"

-No More War
-More Free Trade
-Open Boarders (via legal immigration)
-Open lines of communication with all nations (no enimies real or imagined to scare the american people)
-Extention of Rights (repeal of Patriot Act, Drug Laws, and other government regulations or measures that have been used to limit individual rights)
-Freedom of Religion (and keep it the hell out of politics separate state and church)
-Limits on the Federal Reserve (no longer allow them to destroy the wealth of a nation, we will just have to accept slower growth)
-You can have medical insurance, but no more social security (rely on the charity of the private sector if you were unable to save for retirment)
-Less usless legislation (fewer laws) Let's start to enforce the one's we have and start to use more common sense in putting non-violent younger people in jail (especially for drugs...waste of money, productivity, and "Good Little Tax Payers" lol)

This may be too optimistic right now, but i think my generation and the generation after will be the group that actually helps move us to smaller more responsible government less intrusive government with a focus on not only domestic issues, but also global political and economic issues.

"BE A FRIEND TO ALL AND AN ENEMY TO NONE"
It is young people like yourself and RFSilver who make me very hopeful for our country. Your dad did a great job preparing you for the future

Old 09-25-2009, 01:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
To the OP: how can the actions of one man weaken an entire nation? Are we not the same people we were before the election? I cannot believe that you give your country and countrymen and women so little credit.
And what is it about diplomacy that is so hard to grasp? What is threatening about finding solutions for problems without committing our children to endless conflicts? Are you ready to suit up and join the next invasion? Your children?
How has effectively backing Iran into a corner made us weak?

It is exactly the same argument used by fundamental Christians who whine about no prayer in schools, etc. If your faith is strong, what or who do you have to fear?

"Weakness? There is sometimes more strength in projecting confidence rather than bluster, and seeking cooperation rather than ultimatums. "

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Old 09-25-2009, 02:11 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,547,128 times
^ a bunch of us anxiously read that article! Andrew is a conservative
isn't he? If he is YES! Theres a conservative we can pay attention to
that moves more like a 21st centurist (21st century thinker)...

I was so excited I grabbed the guy next to me and hug him! Haahahaha!

On the other side of the room, a bunch of kids following China made
a big scream when China told Iran in so many words to listen to
what the big guns (USA and Russia) had to say about this 2nd
nuclear facility.

TigerLily, can you feel our excitment!? The political study room is exploding
with debates, running to comps to scan papers all over the world...
heated discussions... somebody hollering over the den to check out
news breaking in Iran... or UK about this or that subject...

Even our American media CNBC was sited several times about Global
points of views that were collaberated by outside, the US media, outlet...

It feels like a big old newspaper room and my heart is about to bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

It is young people like yourself and RFSilver who make me very hopeful for our country.
Your dad did a great job preparing you for the future
I feel like crying and I don't know why... maybe because you believe in
my generation and that we can do it... we can find the answers, the
solution... also you don't mind the way I talk... next year I can join
a political party and I'm very proud of that...

We can't normally connect to sites not specially school based on
school comps and they are very very strict. So connecting to city is
out but I am glad for the little time I have on a friends private comp.

I would like to hear your views or anything you think worthy to be read...

It cannot be propaganda for that is easily shot down with these brainiacs
whether left or right...

It has to be viable to the world we live in and the way things are
accomplished in this increasingly Global world. Thank you.

RFSilver

Old 09-25-2009, 02:16 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,547,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Forget about judging people based on the age of their flesh. I have seen 20 somethings who are old, cynical and bitter way too early in life, and I know an 80 year old guy who can cheer people up with his wit, optimism, and wisdom. I guarantee that each generation thought that it was "best". Each generation swears that it will have a "war to stop all wars." ...
:listens...: Wit, Optimism and Wisdom.... ok!

RFSilver

Old 09-25-2009, 02:18 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, there's another alternative, eliminate 'playing'.
I read the tos, and didn't wish to launch a personal attack. I was trying to be nice, but sometimes in this broiler of P&OC, it is sometimes difficult not to offend. I'd hate to change my status to "NO MORE MR. NICE GUY" or "GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY". As you know, people can read too much into a person's post, and immediately assume they know everything there is to know about the poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies