Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IIRC back in the dim past when I, like so many other young men, joined the US Navy, I too an oath to, among other things, to "Defend and Protect the Constitution of the United States of America" and "to obey all legal orders". I am under the impression that the members of the current military have done the same.

To attempt a coup against the legally elected President would be a violation of that oath and issuing orders to there military personal to do so would be a courts martial offense even if the coup was successful. I doubt if any military officer would do anything but hold anyone that tried to attempt such a coup for civil trial. The attempt is guaranteed to be violent which would add innumerable items to the indictment.

If you, IRSPOW, do not find this government and society to your liking I suggest you find somewhere else to take your complaints such as Somalia or South Korea. I consider your attitude despicable and your proposal traitorous.

Calling for change through legal means is one thing but calling for an illegal military coup is quite another. I request the moderators of this board contact the FBI and provide copies of your statements as well as your real name and address to expedite investigation of your activities and prosecution if a federal grand jury finds your activities as illegal as I think they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
Quote:
IIRC back in the dim past when I, like so many other young men, joined the US Navy, I too an oath to, among other things, to "Defend and Protect the Constitution of the United States of America" and "to obey all legal orders". I am under the impression that the members of the current military have done the same.

To attempt a coup against the legally elected President would be a violation of that oath and issuing orders to there military personal to do so would be a courts martial offense even if the coup was successful. I doubt if any military officer would do anything but hold anyone that tried to attempt such a coup for civil trial. The attempt is guaranteed to be violent which would add innumerable items to the indictment.

If you, IRSPOW, do not find this government and society to your liking I suggest you find somewhere else to take your complaints such as Somalia or South Korea. I consider your attitude despicable and your proposal traitorous.

Calling for change through legal means is one thing but calling for an illegal military coup is quite another. I request the moderators of this board contact the FBI and provide copies of your statements as well as your real name and address to expedite investigation of your activities and prosecution if a federal grand jury finds your activities as illegal as I think they are.
Sorry to disappoint you, but no where have I advocated anything illegal. I was only speaking about the natural rights of people. I have not suggested that people should violently overthrow the government. Perhaps reading imaginary words between the lines is confusing you.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
The article is incorrect. The President of the United States is the COMMANDER IN CHEIF OR THE ARMED FORCES of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. He is not out ranked by an member of the military including the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Civilian leadership of the military is a fundamental principal of our government. We are a civilian Republic. Not a military dictatorship.

A military led coup is violent by definition. The military carries weapons for a reason. You have called for a violent over through of our Constitutional government.

Last edited by GregW; 10-01-2009 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post

Oh, I'm sure the world would be a better place if the Military took over the country.

We could have a totally awesome future just like in the movies:

YouTube - Starship Troopers [ Part 1/12 ]

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
obo

916 posts, read 986,614 times
Quote:
The article is incorrect. The President of the United States is the COMMANDER IN CHEIF OR THE ARMED FORCES of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. He is not out ranked by an member of the military including the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Civilian leadership of the military is a fundamental principal of our government. We are a civilian Republic. Not a military dictatorship.

A military led coup is violent by definition. The military carries weapons for a reason. You have called for a violent over through of our Constitutional government.
You might be able to call it our government, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's Constitutional the way it is behaving. BTW, who called for a violent over throw?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but no where have I advocated anything illegal. I was only speaking about the natural rights of people. I have not suggested that people should violently overthrow the government. Perhaps reading imaginary words between the lines is confusing you.
Do you actually think that anyone reading this thread has any doubt whatsoever about your position on this issue??? Yout posts are just dripping with eagerness to see this "government" overthrown! Nobody has to "read between the lines" to understand where you stand on this issue.

Geeezzzz, it's amazing that so many people think that they can "technically" avoid responsibility for their positions by "technically" avoiding certain language!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Okay, specifically where did I suggest, imply, or advocate a violent overthrow of the government?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:
Okay, specifically where did I suggest, imply, or advocate a violent overthrow of the government?
The message I got was "Gee, I hope there is a military coup that will somehow magically decide to do exactly what the founding fathers wanted instead of take all the power for themselves!"

Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Sadly, that message is simply from a voice in your head and not anything that I said.

However, if it will make the delusional people here who have voices in their head feel better, I am more than comfortable in stating that I do not advocate a military coup. Just as I do not approve of the military coup that Lincoln led.

Last edited by irspow; 10-01-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Sadly, that message is simply from a voice in your head and not anything that I said.

However, if it will make the delusional people here who have voices in their head feel better, I am more than comfortable in stating that I do not advocate a military coup. Just as I do not approve of the military coup that Lincoln led.
Ahhh, finally, the CYB post.

Nahhh, you don't advocate or approve........however, IF one did just happen......well.......

I have no doubt that you would be perfectly fine if the FBI did come to your house just to check out the validity of that statement.

Was it you who said this: "In reality, overthrow of this Centralized Godvernment is not at all incompatible with the American ideal."

And how about that "Federal Occupying Force"? You support what you see as a "Federal Occupying Force"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies