Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 02:00 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
The real reason Chicago lost the Olympics was because Glenn Beck called the IOC and told them to pick Rio.

Chicago didn't want to see any of their young girls raped and murdered, more than likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:05 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicon View Post
As a resident of Chicago, it is disappointing that we did not get it. However, Obama would have been slammed if he didn't go (we did not get it because Obama did not go - how unpatriotic) and based on the above he is getting slammed for going. The Olympics are amazing and it would have been great, but we should congratulate the winner!
How do you figure Obama would have been slammed if he didnt go?

He is getting slammed for going because while hes going unemployment has gone up.

He wants to sign a cap and trade bill that will cause Americans to pay higher elec bills because of global warming. Did he help or hurt global warming by going?

He is getting slammed because he goes on and on about the mess he inherited and the amount of debt Bush left him. While he waste our tax dollars.

There is a thread saying congrats to the winner

Old 10-02-2009, 02:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
How do you figure Obama would have been slammed if he didnt go?
How do we know? Because you guys are so predictable of course!

Old 10-02-2009, 02:22 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
i'll give bammers points for trying. i would've like to have seen chicago get it.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Tough stuff.

Obama’s Olympic failure will only add to doubts about his presidency - Times Online

Quote:
Mr Obama was greeted — as usual — like a rock star by the IOC delegates in Copenhagen — then humiliated by them. Perception is reality. A narrow defeat for Chicago would have been acceptable — but the sheer scale of the defeat was a bombshell, and is a major blow for Mr Obama at a time when questions are being asked about his style of governance…

This has all added to the perception that Mr Obama’s soaring rhetoric — which captured the imagination during last year’s election — is simply not enough when it comes to confronting the myriad challenges of the presidency. His spectacular Olympic failure will only add to that.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
It showed the weakness of Obama's 'cult of personality.' If Obama's and Michelle's endorsements had been more factual and professional instead of an "I, Me, Mine" (hat tip to the Beatles) fest, maybe Chicago could have had a chance.

I propose the following as Obama's theme song:

I Me Mine

"All thru' the day I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
All thru' the night I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
Now they're frightened of leaving it
Ev'ryone's weaving it,
Coming on strong all the time,
All thru' the day I me mine.

I-me-me mine,
I-me-me mine,
I-me-me mine,
I-me-me mine..."

Whadya think?

Old 10-02-2009, 02:33 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It showed the weakness of Obama's 'cult of personality.'

Whadya think?
Obama is "loved by many but feared by none." (Tim Reid - Wash. Times)

Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,229 times
Hopefully being snubbed this badly will teach Obama that a lot of these foreign countries continue to have no respect for the USA. Maybe instead of one sided trade agreements and laws, we should toughen our stance to force these other countries start respecting us a bit more and have more equitable trade relations and extradition agreements.

I am sick of giving, giving and giving and being snubbed and disrespected and taken advantage of in turn by a lot of these foreign countries.

Rio deserved the bid. But Chicago did not deserve to be snubbed the way it was. To lose by a good margin to Tokyo was an extremely disrespectful snub by the IOC. Especially considering that the USOC forefeited bids for 2018 to focus on this, and we'll probably not have a bid in 2020 due to location this is a great insult to the US by the IOC.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It showed the weakness of Obama's 'cult of personality.' If Obama's and Michelle's endorsements had been more factual and professional instead of an "I, Me, Mine" (hat tip to the Beatles) fest, maybe Chicago could have had a chance.

I propose the following as Obama's theme song:

I Me Mine

"All thru' the day I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
All thru' the night I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
Now they're frightened of leaving it
Ev'ryone's weaving it,
Coming on strong all the time,
All thru' the day I me mine.

I-me-me mine,
I-me-me mine,
I-me-me mine,
I-me-me mine..."

Whadya think?
American Thinker: Is Obama a Narcissist? (http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/09/is_obama_a_narcissist.html - broken link)

Old 10-02-2009, 02:53 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
How do we know? Because you guys are so predictable of course!
I don't ever remember a president going before? Obama didn't need to go. This was simply another chance for him to be on TV and in the spotlight. Another one of his worthless flits to avoid staying at the White House and actually working. A chance for him to "play" president. Is he scared of work? Does he not know what to do as president? Why is everthing turning to failure for him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies