Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Well so much for sanrene's post....
actually, in a poll most chicagoans did not want it - probably due to traffic disruption, hassles, etc.

i imagine if you were a vendor / merchant you would be pretty disappointed. i certainly wouldn't want it in my town, but there is no danger of that happening.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
I just love how obumma thinks that he has this magic aura and people r going to do whatever he wants. Chalk this one up as yet another OBAMA EPIC FAIL.
Not at all, you thinking it's a fail is what is actually the fail. And actually, it's a disappointment for this country. Too bad you're so hideously worked over w/hatred that you can't see that.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:32 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,112 times
Hey,...USA didn't get the Olympics, but the Obamas got a nice little vacation out of the ordeal,...along with many from the administration. Yep,...we didn't get the Olympics, but the taxpayers will get the bill. That will help the economy.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
[quote=cdne;11017387]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, and the anti-American repugs will dance in glee at the failure of the US to get the gig. quote]

And the liberals will wallow in self-pity.
I'm happy to say that you are wrong. Check out the other thread. We've gotten on board. See, we don't hang on to the hatred like some.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Great news. It shows that Obama and Chicago politicians are an honest bunch - or at least not as corrupt as the Spanish & Brazilian contenders. The 2002 Salt Lake City games were won through bribery.

If Obama hadn't flown over many would be blaming his lack of involvement on Chicago's loss. Heads we win, tails you lose.
come on, you have to admit this made him look bad. he could have lobbied for the olympics in a teleconference or something. he flew around the world and spent millions of dollars to get a rebuff which was seen around the world. that said, i bet not that many people care who gets the olympics anymore.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Great news. It shows that Obama and Chicago politicians are an honest bunch - or at least not as corrupt as the Spanish & Brazilian contenders. The 2002 Salt Lake City games were won through bribery.

If Obama hadn't flown over many would be blaming his lack of involvement on Chicago's loss. Heads we win, tails you lose.
You just keep repeating that to yourself, it might comfort you.

He invested a whole bunch of capitol, he wasted time and money (nothing much else going on around the globe or here at home, right?), it was a complete, total smackdown - when is the last time a president put in an appearance to lobby for the games?

It was all about them, obama and the Mrs. - that's all it's ever about. He had his chance to prance around in front of the cameras, once again, his favorite pastime, btw.

Very, very embarrassing that his great oratory flourish fell flat.

I think the foreigners, just like here at home, know how overexposed he is.

My only regret - that he didn't stick around for the announcement. His advisers apparently aren't that dumb.

Maybe he was hoping the news on the UE figures would be overshadowed by a "win".

Old 10-02-2009, 11:35 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
I'm happy that Rio, has the Games.

Am I the only one, tired of seeing European Asian and Anglo-American cities, have the Olympics? If this is suppose to be such a truely "global" games, well, let someone else have it!

However, I was kinda pulling for Chicago.
No you're not the only one.

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
actually, in a poll most chicagoans did not want it - probably due to traffic disruption, hassles, etc.
This Poll contradicts you.

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Brazil is hosting the World Cup???? God da*n, I need to get over there for that for sure!!!! Oh man, that party is going to beat any other party in the world ever. Even better than the olympics.
I agree...talk about a country that is pumped about soccer as it is. That may be the biggest blow out ever.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:36 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
AFP: Chicago counts on Obama oratory to seal 2016 Games

Maybe the world is waking up as well that his oratory is empty.
From the article... "Disappointed White House Struggles to Explain Chicago's Defeat":
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100202779.html

"Did the president falter by making remarks that were emotional and personal, rather than giving specifics about his adopted home town?"

Yes, and yes.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 10-02-2009 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Linked article didn't show up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies