Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times

Advertisements

what boompa said. health care workers are also required to get the seasonal flu shot. hanging out around a bunch of sick people is a prime way to get, and spread, the flu.

and to reiterate, this is their *employer* requiring that they get the shot, not the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL! I'm not in this for long. Yesterday I was called a wh*** and a sl** for supporting immuninzations. Life's too short.
Not only that, but they'll never change.

Except for Sean Hannity and his horrible Woody-Woodpecker voice, this will cheer you up:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ael-moore.html

Want you to go see that movie too, you'll laugh you'll cry

Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
"Thimerosal is a mercury-containing organic compound (an organomercurial). Since the 1930s, it has been widely used as a preservative in a number of biological and drug products, including many vaccines, to help prevent potentially life threatening contamination with harmful microbes. Thimerosal has been removed from or reduced to trace amounts in all vaccines routinely recommended for children 6 years of age and younger, with the exception of inactivated influenza vaccine. A preservative-free version of the inactivated influenza vaccine (contains trace amounts of thimerosal) is available in limited supply at this time for use in infants, children and pregnant women." - FDA

Thimerosal in Vaccines
Influenza vaccine in multi-dose vials is the only vaccine to contain thimerosol. So find a place that uses thimerosol-free flu vaccine if you're more concerned about the mercury in the vaccine, which is of a form that is quickly eliminated from the body, than you are about the mercury in your tuna-fish sandwich or your tuna noodle casserole, or the big slab of tuna you ate last night in that fancy restaurant.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
what boompa said. health care workers are also required to get the seasonal flu shot. hanging out around a bunch of sick people is a prime way to get, and spread, the flu.

and to reiterate, this is their *employer* requiring that they get the shot, not the federal government.
Anyone working in health care knows this. If there is an outbreak of any communicable disease, workers would be expected to take the appropriate prophylactic. Health care workers in South Africa are required get Tuberculosis vaccines, etc. Now is it the health care workers right to refuse getting a flu shot? Sure, but I would imagine it will reduce your job security. Imagine all the patients in a bone-marrow tranplant unit dying because one nurse didn't want to get a flu shot.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Influenza vaccine in multi-dose vials is the only vaccine to contain thimerosol. So find a place that uses thimerosol-free flu vaccine if you're more concerned about the mercury in the vaccine, which is of a form that is quickly eliminated from the body, than you are about the mercury in your tuna-fish sandwich or your tuna noodle casserole, or the big slab of tuna you ate last night in that fancy restaurant.
Hey I'm on your side in this. Just providing a link to a reputable site before we get the obligatory mercola link.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Unprotected People Report: General

Recent research on many fronts in medicine and science has nailed the coffin shut on the mercury-in-vaccines-causes-autism hypothesis. The connection is just not there. Perhaps the key fact, which has garnered little attention, is that thimerosal has been removed from vaccines in this and other countries for many years, with no obvious impact on the incidence of autism.

IAC EXPRESS - Issue #171

Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Unprotected People Report: General

Recent research on many fronts in medicine and science has nailed the coffin shut on the mercury-in-vaccines-causes-autism hypothesis. The connection is just not there. Perhaps the key fact, which has garnered little attention, is that thimerosal has been removed from vaccines in this and other countries for many years, with no obvious impact on the incidence of autism.

IAC EXPRESS - Issue #171
That's a great idea...taking advice from immunize.org. I wonder what their mission is based on the domain name?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Funny how the same people falling in line to be immunised if ordered to also rail on about the 'big evil pharmaceutical companies'...

In this country things are rarely if ever done for the good of the people anymore,it is for the good of the corporations.

But the sheep will baa and keep getting shorn.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 AM

yes, much better to rely on info from dontgetvaccinateditwillkillyouandturnyouintoamutan tfreak.com

the statement on katiana's link is a joint statement of several healthcare organizations and is based on clearly cited research.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Funny how the same people falling in line to be immunised if ordered to also rail on about the 'big evil pharmaceutical companies'...

believe it or not, the world is not black and white. i am actually capable of having both positive and negative opinions about the products and actions of pharmaceutical corporations, and i'm sure most of the people arguing the pro-immunization/pro-science/anti conspiracy theory side are too.

i don't get flu shots, by the way, even though i work for a public health nonprofit that sometimes does immunizations. i personally think only people at high risk of complications or transmission should get them. i haven't made my mind up about h1n1 yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies